The Car thread
  • Youve never done 32 in a 30 accidently, never clipped into another lane on a roundabout, never got slightly closer to someone than the minimum stopping distance?

If the answer is yes you arent driving naturally and are still prob dangerous.
    Rubbish. I always stay in my lane, stay within the speed limit and keep a safe distance from vehicles in front wherever possible (e.g. when people cut in, I drop back).
    What's so difficult? It's just sensible, alert driving.

• Bollox, it is impossible to 100% stick to every single road law 100% of the time.

• Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I'm not ganging up on you Igor but seriously you are the only person in the world that I have ever heard off that has never committed a traffic violation, other than the previous driving without due care that you didn't caught for. :)

Honestly, you believing that you have never broken a traffic law is as ridiculous as me believing that speed isn't the cause of accidents!
  • Maybe he has adhered to the law to the best of his knowledge?

My stepdad failed the test to be a driving instructor because he lost a silly amount of points for parking up at a bus stop at the end of his test.

Of course, the paint had eroded from the road and the sign was covered by an overgrown tree, but the instructor knew the area and was required to mark him down.

He didn't bother to try again because it involved hours more paperwork, a brand new lesson plan and a lot of other stuff he just couldn't be bothered to do, and he'd received an interview for a job as a store manager anyway.

But yeah, i'm sure igor could attempt to follow the law to the 100%, but poor road markings and other people can make it impossible to do so, surely?
  • Moto70 wrote:
    @djchump: Nope, nothing, not a fine, not a point, zilch. I couldn't believe it when I got the letter from the court. He had to attend a half day driver awareness course at his own expense so that was sort of a fine but if you're looking at black and white he was not fined.

Wow - that really is quite shocking, given that 2 people have ended up on his car and one ended up through his windscreen with broken bones! :-O
    Fucking outrageous that they'd get no points on the license - dangerous idiot keeps doing things like that and getting away with it (i.e. doesn't get taken off the road by revoking license) then someone's going to end up dead, not just badly hurt as was the case in your accident :-/
    Moto70 wrote:
    I do realise that speed is the main factor in the devastation caused when an accident does happen but people have to realise that more often than not it isn't the cause of the accident. In my accident it played no part at all other than the injuries it inflicted, if it had been in a 60mph limit then there is a high chance that I could have been killed but the fact still lies in that the accident was caused by the driver. If a driver loses control because he was going to fast I'd argue that the speed wasn't the cause of the accident but it instead lies with the driver's own recklessness. It's a grey area I know and people will point to motorway pile-ups as a valid indicator that they are right whereas I would point to the fact that again people are the ones fucking up, they can fuck up in a car park just as easily they can fuck-up at speed.
    Of course - it's the mistakes or inattention that causes the accident, but like you say, it's just that at higher speed, the devastation is much greater if/when there is an accident. 
    Excessive speed will also amplify any small errors - under poor road conditions or even normal conditions.

Problem is, no matter how "good" a driver is, or thinks they are, they can never account for every little thing, and they can still make mistakes - we're all human.
    In fact, my inclination is that whenever I hear someone say "I'm a good driver", it instinctively makes me wary of their driving as it makes them seem arrogant and presumptuous - in a similar manner that I'm wary of people driving expensive Audis, Mercs, Jags and Land/Range Rovers (more often that not young to middle-aged males) on the A-roads and motorway, because in my experience they often drive somewhat recklessly and fast because "I have a performance car, so it's safe for me to drive at this speed or this close behind you, because my brakes are great and I'm a good driver".  
    If I'm cut up from the wrong lane of a roundabout, tailgated on the motorway or the fucker doesn't bother indicating, more often than not it's an Audi or Jag.
    Moto70 wrote:
    ... Yes speed was a factor but the fault still lies with the fact hat a driver turned to abruptly and paid the price. ...
    Of course - it's just that at higher speeds the risks are much greater.
  • Ps. I'm not sure why i'm joining in cars are scary.
  • Tempy wrote:
    Maybe he has adhered to the law to the best of his knowledge? My stepdad failed the test to be a driving instructor because he lost a silly amount of points for parking up at a bus stop at the end of his test. Of course, the paint had eroded from the road and the sign was covered by an overgrown tree, but the instructor knew the area and was required to mark him down. He didn't bother to try again because it involved hours more paperwork, a brand new lesson plan and a lot of other stuff he just couldn't be bothered to do, and he'd received an interview for a job as a store manager anyway. But yeah, i'm sure igor could attempt to follow the law to the 100%, but poor road markings and other people can make it impossible to do so, surely?
    Poor road markings will normally get you off tickets or anything like that if you are bolshy enough to take it to court - plenty of people have got off parking tickets because the double-yellows were worn away, roadworks had caused a big enough break in the double-yellows that you can park a car on it or the ends of the doubles weren't terminated correctly, so they didn't count as legally valid.

Passing your test is different cos they can fail you for any old shit.
  • Confused as to why you were over taking when your exit was close enough that one other car could make you miss it.

Ffs. Ok, I was in inside lane going at 70 with clear lane ahead of me when, about 2/3 mile from my junction I came across a car sitting in middle lane going about 55-60. I naturally decided, rather than slow to 55 for the next half mile, I’d simply move out, wait for him to move over, accelerate back up towards 70, pass him, move back in and make my junction in plenty of time.

He didn’t move over. (There was traffic in the outside lane preventing me from going round him on the outside). I waited to see if he’d eventually realise his folly but it soon became apparent that I’d have to move back over myself and abort overtake attempt. At this point he indicated to move over, finally. Also at this point, a BMW who come tearing up behind traffic in outside lane veered across two lanes to undertake me and car in front of me, then slammed on brakes as car in front of me was moving over to block his path. Not content with that though, he then forced his way back out past said car, cutting me up in the process and forcing me to brake sharply.

By this time the junction was approaching and other vehicles in the inside lane had now approached to close the gap behind the slower moving middle lane camper, affording me little opportunity to get back into the inside lane before the junction. As I said, I could have squeezed in or probably accelerated and then cut in in front of middle-lane-camper but doing so would have been at best rude and at worst dangerous. So I enjoyed a 15 mile detour instead.

Driving without due care and attention? I missed my junction to avoid doing so.
  • djchump wrote:
    Tempy wrote:
    Maybe he has adhered to the law to the best of his knowledge? My stepdad failed the test to be a driving instructor because he lost a silly amount of points for parking up at a bus stop at the end of his test. Of course, the paint had eroded from the road and the sign was covered by an overgrown tree, but the instructor knew the area and was required to mark him down. He didn't bother to try again because it involved hours more paperwork, a brand new lesson plan and a lot of other stuff he just couldn't be bothered to do, and he'd received an interview for a job as a store manager anyway. But yeah, i'm sure igor could attempt to follow the law to the 100%, but poor road markings and other people can make it impossible to do so, surely?
    Poor road markings will normally get you off tickets or anything like that if you are bolshy enough to take it to court - plenty of people have got off parking tickets because the double-yellows were worn away, roadworks had caused a big enough break in the double-yellows that you can park a car on it or the ends of the doubles weren't terminated correctly, so they didn't count as legally valid.

Passing your test is different cos they can fail you for any old shit.

Driving Instructor stuff doubly so.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I was about to get a ticket for parking in a Loading Bay because frankly, in all my years of parking I'd never really noticed they were there, hence me spotting Hirst in one.

The two traffic wardens (or whatever name they have now) just said no worries, don't do it again and waived me on. Which was nice.
  • Btw, there's a difference between driving 100% perfectly and driving in an entirely law-abiding manner. To suggest otherwise is silly.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    No offence Igor but 2/3 of a mile at 60mph is 40 seconds on top of your journey.

I'd have sat there and waited for the junction, or more likely undertook him. You've always got the hard shoulder if things go tits up in the couple of seconds it would take to go past.

Pulling behind him in the hope he has a sudden change of heart means you've got about 1/2 - 1/3 of a mile to make your overtake and might very well have ended up cutting him up to hit the junction.
  • Ffs. Ok, I was in inside lane going at 70 with clear lane ahead of me when, about 2/3 mile from my junction I came across a car sitting in middle lane going about 55-60. ...
    I just undercut people like that.
    Not at mad-speed mind - around 70. Just roll up on the inside and when I'm getting near, scope em out to see if they've seen me or are likely to move across at any point. Normally they're so lazily content to sit in the middle-lane that they don't even think of moving back so you can cruise past them on the inside.

I know I'm not supposed to and it's dangerous, but I don't see why I should move across 2 lanes of traffic then back again, holding up the fast lane in the process (as I don't tend to drive at the kinds of speeds required for the fast lane) just because the middle lane is lazy.
  • Ffs, you don't undertake. That's how shit happens. Just as it almost did when BMW wanker did precisely that!

I could've crawled to the junction in the inside lane, sure, but what I did was also perfectly reasonable. Sadly, considerably unreasonable actions by others caused me to make a choice between Warrington or death. I chose Warrington... oh wait, I see where I went wrong now.
  • Is the hard shoulder like the ones in F Zero and you die if you stay on it
  • Ffs, you don't undertake. That's how shit happens. Just as it almost did when BMW wanker did precisely that!
    Fuck 'em. If they ain't moving lane then it'll be fine. 
    If they decide to change lane then they should look before changing. 
    If they change lanes without looking and hit me, then we'll probably all die but oh wellwhatcanyoudoeh?
  • DJ CHUMP IS....

the-undertaker-request-1-1.jpg
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..

Moving across two lanes and trying to get back again before your junction is far more dangerous than maintaining a steady speed and undertaking.
  • Or just sitting and waiting for the slip.

Cos I commute on the M42 and M40 every day, I tend to get in lane early and just trolley on down to the off - no stress, no fuss. Sit behind a lorry in the slow lane and just chill for a minute while waiting for the slip. Just ain't worth it trying to overtake everything to cut in late and maybe gain a couple of car lengths by the time you've hit the lights at the roundabout.
    Moving across two lanes and trying to get back again before your junction is far more dangerous than maintaining a steady speed and undertaking.

No it's not. Hence why undertaking is illegal in all situations. I wasn't moving across two lanes. Though in 2/3 mile you have plenty time to do so, if you're not held up by other traffic. 2/3 of a mile is quite a lot, even at 70.
  • Um, it definately is. You have a cery skewed view of driving igor, the highway code is extremely out dated and cannot possibley account for all situations.

By staying in lane and undertaking the only danger would have been the car in the middle lane pulling in on you. By changing lanes all sorts of other variables have to be taken into account, and at the end of it you still end up parrallel to a car that may pull out into you.

• Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Hence why undertaking is illegal in all situations.

It's not actually
    The Highway Code discourages undertaking on motorways with some exceptions (rule 268): "Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake". Undertaking is permitted in congested conditions when frequent lane changing is not recommended.[4] On other roads, the Code advises drivers "should only overtake on the left if the vehicle in front is signalling to turn right" (rule 163).[5] Rule 163 uses advisory wording and "will not, in itself, cause a person to be prosecuted", but may be used in evidence to establishing liability in any court proceedings.[6] On all roads, undertaking is permitted if the vehicles in the lane to the right are queueing and slow moving. Undertaking in an aggressive or reckless manner could be considered Careless Driving or more seriously Dangerous Driving, both of which are legally enforceable offences.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    With regard to the earlier post regarding markings I tried to get off one of my speeding offences, 38mph in a 30mph, from a mobile camera. I took a picture of the 30mph sign obscured by the hedge and thought would be enough so pleaded not guilty. It went to court and the judge pointed out that I couldn't plead not guilty because I was guilty and all I could do was plead mitigating circumstances so I did that. The judge then pointed out that my 'sign obscured' excuse wasn't mitigating as the road was the one that led to my house so I knew what the speed was. £145 and 4 points that particular gamble cost me...

I'm sorry Igor but this is going to same like a vendetta but I assure you it's not and I may well be wrong but doesn't the law say that you are permitted to pass on the left when that lane is moving quicker? I'd say this could pretty much get you off any undertaking charges if you're not driving like a dick...

EDIT: Cheers Mod, I knew I'd heard that.

Oh dear Igor, this hole's getting deeper!
  • When traffic gets slow on the M40 I tend to get in the slow lane and follow the wagons - they normally keep it rolling at a steady speed. 
    I avoid the "fast lane" like the plague in jams, as it always ends up nose-to-bumper with all the assholes who want to get ahead of everyone else, so they chop and change lanes trying to get ahead in the jam, making it worse in the process :-/

Always gives me smug pleasure when the slow lane ends up moving the fastest/smoothest when the traffic builds up :-)
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    ...which it always does!

I assume that you have reached this opinion from experience coupled with awareness so you can have a tick in good driver box.
  • Nah, used to be one of the middle-lane-warriors that'd stick to the middle lane in jams, but got sick of people diving out of the fast lane at short notice to try and get ahead - so just take the path of least stress and minimal assholery these days, which means cruising in the slow lane and leaving plenty of space in front of me, so people can get in but hopefully won't cut in late and make me hit the brakes  ;-)

One time at night I was in the middle lane on the M40 when all 3 lanes were clear and some whitevan warrior of the road comes steaming up the left hand lane, switched to the middle, came right up my arse and started blasting me with his fullbeams, half blinding me to try and say "hey dickhead, move over and use the left lane you road hog prick" - then proceeded to overtake on the right and slice 2 lanes across my front to get back to the left.
    Then he realised we were coming up to the M40/M42 split and I was in the lane I need to be in for the split, because he realised he wanted that lane as well and cut back to the middle. What a dick.

So yeah, I try not to get hett up about other people's driving these days as you just end up hating humanity as a whole.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I was involved in an 'incident' that involved somebody aggressively undertaking and then cutting people up during some slow moving traffic near Scotch Corner about 10 years ago. I managed to box him in behind a lorry and he was like fuck, so much so that while I was laughing at him he gave it the wanker shake. This got my goat up so I immediately dropped in behind him and matched his moves, he turned off the road we were on and the one we joined was empty, he tried to shake me off but I overtook him and then stood on the brakes just as he'd made others do 5 mins previously. I got out of my van and went to his car, he also got out so I punched him square in the face, he decided that his best option now would be to get back in his car. I pointed out that he was a cunt who'd just upset at least 30 other drivers but he picked the wrong one to gesticulate to.

I realise that this may not be to everybody's taste but we all roll differently...
  • Yessss... you and this "good driver" idea seem to be getting further and further apart ;-)

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!