Pokéthread
  • You don't need ice Pokemon to beat the dragon gym. For all their defence vs elec, fire, ice and water they aren't super effective vs much. The flying ones can be countered by rock.

There are a lot of pokes now yeah.to their credit they try and make it so each first run of the game forces you to only encounter and use the new Pokemon. Its as eploratory and surprising as the first games!
  • Also: its easy to look back nostalgically at the simplicity of red n blue but its battle system was fundamentally flawed to the point where the type system was pretty much undermined.
  • A few tweaks would be needed from the original, certainly, but I'm starting to wonder when we'll be seeing chocolate, marzipan, and plastic types.

I'm being unfair here, I know. But 90% of new Pokemon are awful. The original set had very few missteps.
  • Woodimari
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodimari
    PSN
    Woodimari
    Steam
    Woodimari

Send message
    I haven't got the most recent games, if I buy White and then Black 2 it won't matter I assume? As in it wouldn't be better to have both Whites or both Blacks? Dumb question I guess but I'm not clued in on Poketiquette.
  • A few tweaks would be needed from the original, certainly, but I'm starting to wonder when we'll be seeing chocolate, marzipan, and plastic types.

I'm being unfair here, I know. But 90% of new Pokemon are awful. The original set had very few missteps.

90% is certainly unfair, there are some brilliant Pokes here and there. Discovered a new fave last night in Scraggy who looks like a lizard shedding skin but (get this) he's holding his skin up like it's too-big-pants! HAHA! Genuinely believe he is brilliant.

• Poke-to.net poke-spatched my poke-parcel last poke-night. Poke.
  • I'm using Sandile at the mo, looking for a Siglyph or w/e
  • Red and Blue (Green) were a fucking mess and I don't think people really remember that through their rose tinted glasses.

Sure the ideas were all there, the concept was solid, but the game was as close to broken as is possible.
  • I don't remember anything broken about it tbh.

Other than the Misingo exploit I literally can't think of anything wrong with Red/Blue.
  • Oh, when I get back to my desk, Dive...
  • Do behave, they were not "a fucking mess" by any stretch of the imagination. They had issues, yes, but they were excellent games... the series wouldn't have sold such a ridiculous amount if they weren't.

Best selling RPG of all time, right?
  • I remember Psychic was pretty borked in Gen 1, the best counter was (rather unintuitively) a high level Jolteon with Pin Missile, rather than any genuine Bug Type poke.

Zapdos was kinda messed up too as it was Thunder/Flying thus not weak against a lot of types. I also recall Ice Types were super powerful too, I think I beat 90% of the Elite 4 with Articuno.
  • Issues, yes. But nowhere near a mess.

Psychic was insanely strong though.
  • Those are just off the top of my head, Fent knows a lot more about this and I'm sure many Pokevets would have similar views to the battle system as Knight and folk do about Halols.
  • I do remember Psychic being strong but there were very few pure Psychic types and mainly featured towards the end of the game or were hard to train  quickly like Abra.

There was some pokemon slightly off balance I guess but like Tiger says it was a long way off being a mess.
  • The only 3 ghost types in Gen 1 were also dual typed with poison making them weak to the very type they were supposed to counter.

The only dragon type move was Dragon Rage, which has it's damage set at 40, meaning there were no actual moves a dragon type could have to utilise its Same Type Attack Boost.

Focus Energy didn't work. At all.

Accuracy formula was borked, meaning every attack, including swift, had a chance of missing.

The special stack hadn't been split yet, so moves like Amnesia that greatly increased the stat, raised your defense and attack at the same time making pokemon like Snorlax and Slowbro ridiculously OP.

...this is just off the top of my head.

As I say, concept good, brilliant, perfect, even. That's why they are such popular games. The kids the game was marketted to aren't going to care about this shit, obviously, but they were, by today's standards "a fucking mess" and I stand by that.
  • Dat kind of knowledge man, dats the stuff.
  • There isn't a single thing a remake couldn't fix there which seemed to be what you were replying to.

Still don't think any of those points would break the game dramatically enough to call it a mess, maybe at advanced PvP level they would become a problem which is a very small part of the game.
  • I do remember Psychic being strong but there were very few pure Psychic types and mainly featured towards the end of the game or were hard to train  quickly like Abra.

You could have an Alakazam before you got your 2nd Gym badge.

And yes, they were all fixed in the remake, Fire Red and Leaf Green, which is why I really have no idea we are even talking about wanting a remake of the originals.

• Oh, yeah, also critical hit calculation was based on base speed for some reason.
  • Still none of this suggests it was a mess to me.

A mess would be game saves deleting themselves, glitches causing pokemon to disappear after hours of training, getting trapped on walls , infinite loops that break the game, items that can be lost but required later.

What you are describing are oddities.

It's not really rose tinted glasses if literally none of these things bothered me back then, most I didn't even notice.
  • Fire Red and Leaf Green do not play well. At all. A remake of the originals with the various improvements in gameplay we've seen over the iterations would be excellent.

Most of the points you raise above really are small issues

EDIT: Also, REAL HAWT GFX would be nice.
  • Just play Heart Gold and Soul Silver, then. Johto and Kanto, with all the improvements you want.

I don't get this obsession with Kanto. It's the most represented area appearing in 4 games and in 4 generations. Fucking pick one.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    A few tweaks would be needed from the original, certainly, but I'm starting to wonder when we'll be seeing chocolate, marzipan, and plastic types.

This is total bollocks though, the only time they've ever added types is when they added Dark and Steel in Generation II and that was only because of balancing issues.

I don't really understand why you think there's a pressing need for a further remake of Generation I when there's already been one and remakes of Generation II - including the region and Pokemon from Generation I - were released as recently as 2010.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Gamer privilege.

Ask for 3D Pokemon for years. Get it and immediately request Gen 1 remakes.
  • I've got Soul Silver. It's very good.

Not sure where you're getting "obsession" from. I said I'd like to have seen a reboot of the originals in this new style... that's pretty much been the only mention of it. Then you started the saying the games were a mess, which I've disagreed with because YO CRAZY.
  • Sick of reboots. MOVE EVER FORWARD.
  • I was not being serious with the types thing, ERE, but you are right, they haven't added any since then... I felt like they had, but I guess not. I did say I was being unfair!

Who said anything about a "pressing need for it" for a reboot anyway? I would like to have seen it because I like the original roster far more than anything since. I think most Pokemon since Gold/Silver - though not all - have been pretty poorly designed and I think they've put too many into the game. There are obvious reasons for this... that doesn't mean I have to like it though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Not sure where you're getting "obsession" from.

You do seem a bit obsessed.

To be honest, when you said a reboot I thought you meant some kind of drastic rethinking of the franchise that would just happen to use the location and Pokemon from Generation I, but now it turns out you just want Generation I re-released with 3D graphics with some modernising tweaks? That wouldn't really make any kind of commercial or creative sense at this point. We've seen Kanto very recently, I doubt the playerbase and developers and desperately keen to see it again.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!