Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    More games are starting to feature changing environments but it still remains something a rarity in multiplayer.

Recently Borderlands 2 has shown the difference between attempting a mission at night and trying the same task during daylight but what I want is to see this in competitive MP.

I often imagined how different my favourite CoD maps would have been by simply changing day to night, that favourite spot in Terminal that proved so good for defending B now sees you stand out like a sore thumb, likewise the upper window that enabled you to stay almost invisible in the shade now has your silhouette acting like a beacon to all and sundry. But why stop with day and night, a map bathed in glorious daylight is altogether different when swathed in snow or under deluge from driving rain.

It doesn't just change the map either, it changes the gameplay. The sniper that has been sat miles from the objective is useless now a heavy wind is blowing up dust and debris eliminating any view he had of attacking forces, the doorway the people use to sneak up to A is now a no-go as the changing sun now casts your shadow, alerting the OpFor of your approach. This would also apply to the audio, driving rain and a thunderstorm enabling you to run without fear of your footsteps sending out an aural beacon of your location, the darkness of night that now enables you to move through the shadows seems to amplify every rustle of clothing, every clunk of a reload.

This doesn't just apply to FPS's, we already see this happening in FIFA with night games and matches payed in rain and snow, PGR littered the track in standing water that effected your lap times so why don't more devs include it? Why should my story with Nathan Drake be exactly the same as yours? Why shouldn't you have broken into the museum in relative ease under the cover of darkness whereas I am faced with a teeming lunchtime crowd?

For now I can only hope but fingers crossed that this may be something will change when the next consoles see the light of day...
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    uncharted (2 and 3) had changing weather and stuff during mulitiplayer.
    mostly snow storms or sand storms.

spec ops the line too.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    I remember the weather from Uncharted MP but it seemed more like a 'set-piece', a sort of "oh here comes the storm, just wait a second and it'll be gone".

What I would like is that you don't know what you are going to get, so while waiting in the lobby for Crash to load you didn't know if it was going to be night or day, rain or shine, calm or a storm.
  • There's a level in Left 4 Dead 2 that makes you retrace your steps, except that the weather has gone from clear to holy fuck rain. It is alarmingly disorienting.

Also there's some fog in Plants v Zombies sometimes.  I dunno why I'm writing this.
  • The Sandstorm MP map in Ghost Recon FS is quite novel in the whipping up of a... wait for it... sandstorm. Reduces visibility and isn't predictably scripted. I don't have the Arctic MP DLC but I would hazard a guess that there is a snow alternative too.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    The snow levels were always my favourites in Bad Company 2. Dunno why as aside from the odd flake floating across your viewfinder it made no difference to gameplay. Shocking lack of them in BF3. Piece of shit. Anyhoo.
  • The levels in advance wars ds change wether which effect gameplay
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Gears of War 2 had some mid game weather effects that changed how you'd play the map.

I doubt any of the CoD twitchers would notice a shadow is a bit longer on one of the spinning, bunny hopping, dolphin diving fucktard avatars though.
  • Moto70 wrote:
    I remember the weather from Uncharted MP but it seemed more like a 'set-piece', a sort of "oh here comes the storm, just wait a second and it'll be gone". What I would like is that you don't know what you are going to get, so while waiting in the lobby for Crash to load you didn't know if it was going to be night or day, rain or shine, calm or a storm.

I do like that idea. Sounds like a game idea in itself. What I like even better is the idea that the weather could change at the drop of a hat. No indications, no scripted events causing it, you're just in the middle of a game and then it starts bucketing it down.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Unlikely wrote:
    There's a level in Left 4 Dead 2 that makes you retrace your steps, except that the weather has gone from clear to holy fuck rain. It is alarmingly disorienting. Also there's some fog in Plants v Zombies sometimes.  I dunno why I'm writing this.

That one bit of Hard Rain made it my favourite campaign despite the rest of it being bland as fuck compared to the others. Valve even coded it so in game voice com is barely audible during the storm.

Team Fortress 2 has a map, cp_steel that changes depending on what control points the attacking team capture. Bridges and new routes to the central control point open up and it gets hard to predict whether the team is going for the easiest route to the last cp or going halfway and going for a surprise cap. Makes it more fun that it's situated over an expanse and if you want the heavier classes on it you need to raise the bridges.

Unreal Tournament's Assault game type was way ahead of its time I thought.
  • It's a shame actually that PvZ does make more use of the weather elements outside of fog.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I loved it when it started raining during the fight with The End in MGS3. So beautiful.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • First time I played one of the 3D GTAs, the first control I got it was night time and raining.  I think it was maybe Vice City, because I remember all the neon lights reflecting, the visibility being reduced, it was unplayable.  Only once I'd gotten used to the visuals in daylight and fine weather could I see what was going on at night when it rained.

But, yes, right now changing weather is pretty simplified.  It would be nice to see more intelligent handling.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I loved the rain and thunderstorms in Red Dead. But they were incredibly rare for me.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    The rain in the new MGS thingy looks pretty swish

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!