Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    They’ll kill it. Like they did with Star Trek back in the day. Too many shows will just dilute the quality.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    I think Marvel is a good fit for being mined for content. 20-something films and a bunch of TV shows and there's still plenty left to adapt.

I don't think the Star Wars franchise is completely ill-suited for expansion but I definitely think its natural place is as a boutique franchise and isn't a good fit for a massive slate of content. It's like Disney buying the rights to Faulty Towers and then spinning it off into 10 different shows.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • They are spread over a few years and I can’t imagine something like Obi-Wan is going to be an ongoing series. But it just looks overwhelming to me, especially when they start having them turn up in each other’s shows and everything becomes a web of cross-referencing. Hey here comes this character from a 20 year old cartoon you didn’t watch, and to understand what they meant by this line of dialogue you really need to watch episode 6 of season 3 of this other thing. This character’s plan won’t work out because that would contradict a line of exposition in a film from 40 years ago.

They’re not dumb. You’ve got to assume they know why Solo tanked their film plans. It wasn’t a terrible film, it was just too much pointless stuff. The home market is a bit different from the get off your arse and leave the house and pay money just to watch this one thing market though. And this was really just for investors who they wanted to blow away with their masses of content.
  • Just a point on Netflix and their marvel stuff - that was 6 titles (one which was a team up mini) spread over 12 series spread over 2 - 3 years. And it was building on both a successful movie series and well established characters. And it still felt padded (i enjoyed it but none of the main series justified 12 episodes)

Kind of feel they should be doing less but I suppose the throw it all at the wall and see what sticks can work too
    SFV - reddave360
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    It sounds like Obi-Wan will be a spin-off production-wise from Mandalorian if not story-wise. It looks like Ahsoka will directly spin-off from Mando and that maybe the Ahsoka episode was a back door pilot type thing. I feel pretty comfortable with those. And the new animated show is fine, they don't have one running at the moment so I get it. It's too early to judge the 'original' Star Wars projects.

It's Lando and Andor that raise my eyebrow. I think mining Rogue One and Solo for every last nugget of content comes across as desperate and I'm not convinced they'll be that interesting.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Ahsoka is getting watched, definitely. Anything else, let's see. I mean, I guess it means I won't be cancelling my sub, which was gonna happen.
  • I hope Obi-Wan visits Mos Eisley because I don’t feel like I’ve seen enough of that place.
  • I think everything said about Lando’s past in the original movies has now been committed to film except him taking over Cloud City so I wonder what this new series will be about.
  • monkey wrote:
    But it just looks overwhelming to me, especially when they start having them turn up in each other’s shows and everything becomes a web of cross-referencing. .

This is why I gave up on the big comic book franchises.
    PSN : time_on_my_hands
  • To me Star Wars is a brilliant starting point. Its an extremely solid base...canvas to expand on. Storywise you can do pretty much anything within it. Im not super keen on all Filoni's stuff to be honest, so be good to see some new perspectives coming through. 
    Ive no problem with more Star Wars movies as long as they are fucking planned out from the start. No more of this bullshit make one movie and then pass it onto another person to continue as they like. Rogue One was a good movie. Id watch more like it. Ive also no problem with the Skywalkers. They got a raw deal in the sequel trilogy tbh.
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Looking at the image of all the disney announcements has made me so tired. A new Indiana Jones ffs.

Throw new mass effect on top of that and I need to have a lie down. We're done.

• I know I'm labouring the same point now so I'll shut up after this. They can technically do anything in Star Wars but they don't. It's always the same old stuff. Riffing off elements of the first three films. The Marvel programs are about a psychic witch going through some kind of grief-fuelled delusion, a super-powered detective with multiple personalites, an action-spy buddy cop show, two separate straight-up teenage girl fledgling superhero outings, a malevolent god forced into capers, a procedural courtroom show starring a female version of the Incredible Hulk and a parallel universe mash-up of all their previously established characters. All of them, as far as I can tell, set in the 'present' of their universe ie they can go anywhere they want (subject to a million other constraints Disney will be putting on them). Star Wars is X-Wings, Jedis, roguish scoundrels with hearts of gold, Vader, Rebels, X-Wings, another Jedi. 

It doesn't really matter though, it's all in the execution. The Mandalorian is a terrible idea for a program if you ask me. But it's great fun and it works.
  • I am in camp Monkey. Star Wars is too much of a slave too itself for my tastes. Thats not to say it cant be fun, but I don't see the same expansive universe that super fly ninja sees (granted I'm only going by the films) They need to mix up the styles as well. Marvel is quite homogenised but they have tried to give each character its own style and music (with Thor Ragnorak being the best example yet of developing a character and style) I never feel Star Wars is willing to do this. Rogue One might be a different type of movie to Star Wars but the music stylings the art design, the filming style all feels too familiar.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Disney plus do need series because people will get bored of the films and one series they have.
  • RedDave2 wrote:
    I am in camp Monkey. Star Wars is too much of a slave too itself for my tastes. Thats not to say it cant be fun, but I don't see the same expansive universe that super fly ninja sees (granted I'm only going by the films) They need to mix up the styles as well. Marvel is quite homogenised but they have tried to give each character its own style and music (with Thor Ragnorak being the best example yet of developing a character and style) I never feel Star Wars is willing to do this. Rogue One might be a different type of movie to Star Wars but the music stylings the art design, the filming style all feels too familiar.
    Believe it or not I agree with you and Monkey.  Star Wars could go in a 1000 directions but it certainly hasnt so far. The scope is there, it just needs someone to boldly go......
    I'd love at least one of the series to be 100% unrelated to what we have seen so far. No winks and nods, all new characters and no fucking visit to Tattoine.

Oh and Rian Johnson better not be involved in ANY way. :D
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Thought old RJ already had rights to do a trilogy?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I’d take Johnson over Abrams having another crack at it.
  • Johnson would be fine just not slap bang in the middle of a trilogy.

Waiti is doing one of the series, not sure which one.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I’d take Johnson over Abrams having another crack at it.

High five on that. But I think he is a bad fit for this kind of thing. His plots generally have a few holes once you spend any time thinking about it and many of the star wars fandom seems to love getting technical about a mythology that really doesnt fit to that level of thinking.
    SFV - reddave360
  • Imagine if he did a murder mystery! Sabres Out!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    They should have just stayed with spin-offs instead of crapping over the original trilogy.

The spin-offs I have watched have been OK - well above the 3rd trilogy.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The trailer for Kenobi looks ace
  • Yeah that does actually look interesting.
    Obi Wan was a bit of a one dimensional character in the prequels so its nice they are giving him some depth.
  • Is there actually a trailer, there's been fan cuts doing the rounds for ages.
  • The footage of McGregort is from that film a few years ago when he played Jesus.
  • Still, Jesus looks good. Will watch.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!