Elite: Dangerous
  • Ooop, apparently i'm wrong, this game's in full on Frontier mode on graphics steroids. I don't have enough time in the world to spend playing this like i did Frontier but if they get planet exploration in, i will probably be right there
  • This is Pete talk i'm down with

The best thing? The stuff he's saying is all credible, he's got the brains and very likely the team to have the foresight to be creating the framework he's talking about, most of the project atm being a skeleton within which the only visible part of the body is some minor internal organ. If this guy just spends the rest of his life making this game, motivation coming from adding another layer the framework already allowed for, finance coming from people seeing spunking extra money on an addon being legitimate expense, i'd be a happy man. Currently project most likely to fulfill VR's promise as a life alternativeas pure entertainment and a lot more exciting and intelligent than No Man's Sky even, although that game looks ace and deserves a load of attention and money for simply bringing a lot of attention back to the genre

The idea of sneaking into peoples cargo holds though! Amazing. Instant thought was a dishonored style disabling of the pilot as they flew the craft, stuffing the body into an amusing position over a bit of the interior, ragdoll stylee, and messaging them with a pic of it. It's got to the point where  i can readily think of the technology and tools that make implementing this kind of thing, or even preempting it and designing around it, absolutely feasible, in fact quite trivial to someone of Brabens (And i'm assuming his team thereof's)  caliber
  • I backed this on day 1 but pulled my money when it was clear they didn't need me. I'm still up for it but nothing like as hype as I am for NMS.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Star Citizen may trump them all.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I like Braben.  I quote him in my phd.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • You mean PDF?
  • I like him, and he was instrumental in the Raspberry Pi, but I can't really get excited about anything he's done in the last decade apart from the Outsider announcement.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    No, I don't mean that.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Star Citizen may trump them all.

I'm on a video watching marathon of Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen. Like one of the guys said in one of the videos, they're not the same type of game and you get different things from them both. Ideally you can play No Man's Sky, Elite: Dangerous and Star Citizen in the same period and enjoy each title for what it brings. And no longer ever have a meaningful life ever again
  • Oh, you know what Skez, just to add and a bit off topic, i guess you're more into the 2D thang but I recently aquired Quixel Suite (Even though the beta is free) and Substance Painter. These sorta things are making making a crapton of awesome looking 3D stuff very easy (Handy when you're making universe sized games for sure), you should check them out
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Ta Gunny, I will.
  • Anyone know why the original elite isn't out on android? Seems a no brainer.
  • Controls for a start.
  • One button for thrust.
    Left and right to rotate your ship.
    One button to warp.
    Fire button to blow asteroids in two.

It's not that hard.
  • Could be partly to do with the rights for Elite belonging to David Braben plus whoever Ian Bell sold his rights to. They had a bit of a falling out, so not sure where that's left.

It's also not the most accessible game in the world, and I'm not completely convinced of it's appeal these days aside from the retro aspect. Might need quite a lot of updating, which would be time consuming.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Just to remind you guys...

BRABEN DID NOT OFFER ME A JOB

HENCE CNUT

HENCE THIS SHIT IS VETOED
  • Didn't offer me one either, the shitbag.
  • Their recruiters and agencies keep messaging me on LinkedIn though - they're looking for graphics guys.
    Too far to commute though or I might looked into it.
  • Pretty prestigious though to be fair, chump magee, in an environment filled with the exact sort of game brainiacs you'd want to be around. dx11 even!

Haha eh i guess wherever youre working has you happy enough.
  • IanHamlett wrote:
    Anyone know why the original elite isn't out on android? Seems a no brainer.

Would love a proper version.  Using a NES emulator with the Rom has mixed results.
  • It's easy enough to get the original (BBC one) emulated. It's worth it to have a look, I can't imagine anyone actually playing it for more than 5 minutes though.
  • Whilst this game has me salivating over the prospect of deep space exploration, the price tag might be a bit too prohibitive. I don't use my PC for gaming nowadays so we're talking a new quad-core processor, a hefty graphics card and a bucket load of space age ram.  Maybe I'll just wait for a PS4 release.

One thing that has me a bit worried though from the alpha footage- ship to ship combat.  It doesn't appear to have evolved much from the BBC days.  Circle behind your foe, target lock on, stay on his tail and snipe away with your pretty red laser.  Where's the proper interstellar dog fights that has you dodging through asteroid fields whilst you foe drops antimatter mines?

I suspect alpha build doesn't have much in the way of enemy AI which is why ship battles look a bit lame.  Still, I liked what Braben had to say about the ability to conceal your vessel in gas giants as electrical storms rage, lying in wait to ambush fat cargo ships - so perhaps we've yet to see proper elite combat.
    It wasn't until I hit my thirties that I realised you could unlock rewards by exploring the map
  • Sneaking into cargo holds remonds me of Consider Phlebas.

I pretty much just want an Iain M Banks' Culture universe simulator.
  • Me too, would love to visit the orbital from Look to Windward.
  • Iain M Banks based sci fi game in the Elite mold would announce my renouncing of real life and living in Banks VR land for the rest of my life
  • Only if you can join Special Circumstances or Contact, with fully realised mechanics. Just trading and fighting would be a massive waste of the universe.
  • OMG interfering with developing sentient species would be amaze.

The Prime Directive can do one.
  • Ooh, ooh: you should totally play as a mind, and have an option to show down/ speed up the perception of time. Plus, the avatar you use could be changed whenever and to whatever you want.
  • mannaboy
    Show networks
    Steam
    mannaboy
    Wii
    mannaboy

Send message
    Sadly without Banks to oversee it I doubt anyone could deliver such a game, still I'd sign up in an instant to play an inferior game.
    Things can only get better.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    The Culture universe has endless gaming potential. Space shooters, stealth FPS as SC/straight up FPS set in the Idiran War, strategy/4X as Mind, a good old PaC adventure... So many delicious options. 

Also, I've always thought that Morgan's Kovacs books have life-sapping MMO written all over them, but that's another story.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!