Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    So, it's been 10 years since Microsoft took, at the time, a fairly big gamble by introducing an online service for its console. Given that PC owners got something similar for nothing, it was a massive risk.

Still, the gamble paid off and now, ten years later, the thought of not being always-on seems ludicrous.

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the service?
    First achievement?
    Best indiviual moment online?
    Worst?
    How long have you been a member?
  • First Achievement: Last Call (21/08/06 - 10g - Prey - Complete first level)
    Best Moment: Halo 3 Beta Day 1 with all the Edgers. Honorable mention to the original Beers n Gears sessions as well.
    Worst Moment: Anytime some 12 year old kid sang down the mic or played some shitty ass music.
    How long: 6 and a bit years.

Edited for less annoying formatting.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • First achievement?God knows I got Fifa 06 world cup summin, condemned, pGR 3 and Dead or Alive 4 with my 360, so something off one of those.

Spending the day playing Halo 2 (pre Halo 3 release) with a mate on the same TV. Pretty much filled my friend list in an afternoon and we ended up with a group of 12 randoms playing together all afternoon. As great as party chat is there was the odd moment where you got a decent community spirit going back in the day.

Worst?
    Screaming, why all the screaming!?!

On and off since 2006. Probably about 4-5 years total.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Achievement
    Lord of the Rings Battle for Middle Earth
    Istari Power :Purchase first player power

Eeep.

Best individual would probably be snatching a last second victory in BFBC2 and saving Team Awesome's ass. Again.

Worst, probably losing at the last second in BFBC2

Joined in 2004 or 5, but didn't keep that tag up.

I remember my first Live experience quite clearly. Got rinsed to fuck in Time Splitters, then Rinsed to fuck in Halo 2, then barged off the road in Project Gotham. I hated it. Never renewed beyond the trial.
  • I bought my 360 when I was still living with my parents. It was when Bioshock had just come out. I didn't get online with it until I moved out. True Achievements is telling me my first online achievement was Graduate in Halo 3: Earn 5 EXP or finish 10 games to complete the requirements for basic training, on November 13th 2007.

I can remember playing Halo 3 with friends. A warthog being driven by my mate was coming right for me. I threw a grenade and tried to jump it. The grenade kicked the back of the warthog up and it slid across on its nose, the turrent smacking me right in the face for the kill. Couldn't play the rest of the game; was in stitches.

Worst moment: Knocking the upright console over whilst playing Left 4 Dead. Irreparably scratched the disc and the drive has made a funny noise ever since.

Only Red Ringed the once, too. Sent it away for a fix, still got the same machine I bought at my parents.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Okay, here's mine.

First Achievement:

cdf2f9ddf56a42188a8b45a.png

(Start as you mean to go on, right?) - I remember getting it as part of a bundle from Game.

Best Moment: Too many to mention. Countless great games/banter on Fifa Online Clubs, kicking a co-op partner off the top of the Agency Tower in Crackdown while he went for a piss, but for me, the anticipation/excitement while waiting to download the Bioshock demo and playing through that for the first time. At the time, it was the fastest demo to hit 1,000,000 downloads.

Worst Moment: The Xmas 2007 downtime. Undertow - really MS? Thanks for nothing!

How long: I think about eight years, but not being near my console, I can't check what the number is.
  • First:
    yeCpz.jpg
    Amped 3. That's the first dated one anyway, I got the 360 before I got broadband.

Best Moment: Some sort of epic turn around on BC2.

Worst Moment: MW2. High hopes were dashed.

How Long: Since early 06.
  • First achievement:

1249.jpg

Defeat Isabel Diaz “Izzy”11 (10)Race and defeat Isabel Diaz and take her spot on the Blacklist 15.
    The original NfS:MW. Was my first online one anyway, according to True Achievements.

Best individual moment online?

Had to be something in Gears 1, when it's you against the 4 of them...and you manage to pull it off, taking them out one by one with a well timed grenade, followed by some dynamite shotgun action. So good.

Worst?

Not sure, but there are quite a few times when I just got far more frustrated than I should playing an online game!

How long have you been a member?6-7 years.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Nothing to add as I'm not a 360 gamer, and never played on LIVE. But, you can pick up Wreckateer for free if you're UK based.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • Didn't know about True Achievements. Looks good but I can't register, the button doesn't work.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Yep, put that in the XBLA thread this morning. Typically, I had already bought it.
  • Didn't know about True Achievements. Looks good but I can't register, the button doesn't work.

I love it, there's a few of us on there and it's very handy. Fire em an e-mail if you've got an issue, they're good at responding.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    First Achievement

554.jpg

PGR3 - Reach Rank 10 - 20G (2nd December 2006)

Best individual moment online

Single handedly winning a game of S&D on CoD where I lost all 5 members of my team and went on to win the round despite being outnumbered 6-1.

This was hard question as I have choice of hundreds but nearly all of them involve my time with Subba and our gang on CoD4 apart from the one time I got absolutely shitfaced on Whisky while playing Forza with Stevo, I proceeded to climb out of a 4th floor window to have a Marlboro Light before coming back in to abuse Americans over Live!

Worst.

As somebody else mentioned any time that idiots came online, trash talking or just generally being a knob.

2nd December 2006

I know this because I got made redundant on the 1st Dec 2006 and I went into Gamestation and spent just under £900 on gaming stuff!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    First achievement? Something on Prey, I think. Was the first game I played anyway.

Best individual moment online? One of two. Either getting my first global top ten time on Trials, or the epic sessions of CoD4 (S&D) I used to have with Stevo and many others on here (benji, Subba, a fair few games with Mod etc).

Worst? Not worst, I have no problems with the service, but constantly being called 'nigger' in hate mail due to my gaming tag always gets a laugh.

How long have you been a member? Mid to late 2007 for me, so about 5 and a half years (with 3 different profiles)
  • Olimite wrote:
    So, it's been 10 years since Microsoft took, at the time, a fairly big gamble by introducing an online service for its console. Given that PC owners got something similar for nothing, it was a massive risk. Still, the gamble paid off and now, ten years later, the thought of not being always-on seems ludicrous. With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the service?

Christ, I remember downloading all the Xbox Live is 5 stuff.

First achievement?

4157.jpg

Story Apprentice (10)
    Finish the story prologue levels

First online one anyway, I think that my first actual one was offline, either Pinata Name Caller, or The Creampuff in Rockstar Table Tennis.

A few on Halo 3. Getting Mongoose Mowdown, getting my first ranked triple kill. Although I've probably got close yesterday, winning a game 1 v3, 39-30 on Narrows. Ultimately I'd give it to 21st May 2008. Manchester United had just won the European Cup. My housemate and I were very drunk. We joined a bunch of you for Halols. Avalanche kept cropping up, and having decided  I was inept in attack, I discovered I was a beast at defence. I kept referring to our team as various members of the victorious United team, until Funkstain wearily admitted after being called Ronaldo for the 45th time that he was actually a Chelsea fan.

I would otherwise have given it to a night on Final Fantasy XI when unable to get a mage as party leader, I suggested we do a burn party. This was the high point of my time in Vana'diel, we utterly ripped through the levels. By the time we finally called it a night everyone admitted that they should have actually gone hours ago, but didn't want to leave so good was not only the party, but the party members themselves. That was where I got my first proper linkpearl. This feels a little like cheating though, since the rest of them were on PC, and one on PS2.

Worst?

Not had that many bad moments. None really stick in the mind so much. The usual scum of the earth racists probably. gameplay wise, the second accounters.

Since January 15th 2007. Nearly 6 years.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Didn't know about True Achievements. Looks good but I can't register, the button doesn't work.
    I love it, there's a few of us on there and it's very handy. Fire em an e-mail if you've got an issue, they're good at responding.

I registered using my phone but Firefox and IE (32 and 64) aren't working for me on XP64.
    Will try again at home but yeah seems like a cool site.

Do they mark scores down as well as up?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Pretty sure no, the minimum 'True' points they can be worth is never lower than their actual point value.

EDIT: yeah, even The Simpsons' "Press START to Play" is worth the same 5 points the actual achievement is.
  • That is what I guessed, seeing as picking an armour colour in Halo 4 is still 5 points when it should be 0 imo.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Good game The Simpsons, especially if you have a local co-op partner. Not many decent examples of local play out there.
  • I'm sure I rented it or played the demo or something. Never got round to playing much of it but what I did play was fun.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message

With that in mind, what are your thoughts on the service?

Starting to begrudge paying for it. Although its still the only way to MP

First achievement?

The starting off garden one in Viva Piñata YAS.

Last Moxxi on Borderlands with Elm, Gav and Wookie, just this year.

Worst?

FNF where I was sick on the controller.

How long have you been a member

6 yrs

• First achievement Something on PGR4
    Best individual moment online CoD4 - Singing John Shuttleworth songs at people until they crack up and then start picking arguments with them to the point where they start getting a bit mental. The effect is compounded when you keep beating them in the game.

Worst Lots of sectarianism, lots of racism. Annoying to listen to but can become amusing if you start an argument about it and win with logic, so that everyone else in the lobby crushes them with laughter.
    How long have you been a member? 2008.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • First achievement

0YCLiGJhbC9FFQRLXVBRGGQxL2FjaC8wLzEAAAAA5+fn-nUVsQ==.jpg
    Rank 10
    UNLOCKED ON 19/03/2006

Best moments

Gears of war multiplayer

Worst moments

The introduction of party chat, I played with loads of great people over live. Haven't met anyone since it was introduced.

Playing since my fist achievement.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    n0face wrote:
    Playing since my fist achievement.

Beautiful.
  • Top thread Oli - Representing - 75G.

First achievement? - King Kong - Pyromaniac - Jack used fire to scare off enemies and get out of harm's way 100 UNLOCKED ON 11/12/2005

Best indiviual moment online? - Playing Halo 2 on-line for the first time. My first real experience online - playing with real life and virtual mates - fond memories of Team Skirmish. Oh and Ivory Tower and Accension.

Worst? - Playing Perfect Dark Zero for the first time. My wife telling me that her Saturday revolved round me only being able to chat after 10 min intervals (the length of your average Halo 2 online game).

How long have you been a member? 8 years.

Random stuff - I used to play original Xbox games (PGR, Halo CE) over the Internet using some hookey bridge System Link hack. Ah crazy times.

R
  • How are we finding out our first ever achievement?

Top thread, Oli.
  • Happy Birthday Live. I first encountered it round a mate's house during a lads night. We had a Halo 2 LAN do but we fooled about a bit on Wolfenstein on his half a meg connection, I will admit to being a little baffled by it all. I didn't go Live till I got my Elite in lateish 2007 but it's been a constant bedfellow ever since.

First achievement?
    1st Challenge Complete, awarded in GRAW2 for completing the first tutorial. I remember wanting GRAW and only GRAW with my 360 when I went to Gamestation with the Oldbox underarm. Back went the bundled Blue Dragon and out I trotted with a 360, said Warfighter and the other bundled game, Forza 2.

Many, many instances of team moments in Bad Company 2, but any time you attacked an MCOM, bursting through the smoke, putting down two with your AR, pulling out your sidearm and putting another down, diffusing or charging the objective, you always felt a little heroic.

Worst?
    Some terribly ignorant rascists and homophobes has meant a few complaints have been filed. Gamewise, I remember GRID being particularly tiresome for griefers. Biggest disappointment has been Battlefield 3 for its nosedive into mediocrity and opening itself up to the type of players I thought I'd left behind in MW2.

Other highlights though include; arising at 6 on many a morn to put a pre-work stint on OG MW, Forza 2's fantastic Friday nights, and of course many joyful hours of BC2.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • First Achievement?
    I'm not 100% sure but I think it was the one for exciting the sewers in Oblivion. First game I played on my 360 and that moment in particular blew me away. The achievement plop and subsequent 'oooo, what was that?' was brilliant.

Playing Rainbow Six Vegas 2 with my brother on the hardest difficulty. We approached a typical double entrance hostage situation. I took the led and delivered instructions to my brother. I counted down and we pulled off a split second, inch perfect takedown and hostage rescue. Immensly satisfying.

Worst?
    Couldn't pick a single moment, but I would just highlight any technical issues with games not working online (most recent being GR:FS).
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    How are we finding out our first ever achievement? Top thread, Oli.

Sign into to Xbox.com, click on Activity, scroll to the bottom, click into the game with the first achievement unlock listed. The one at the top should be the first.
  • http://www.trueachievements.com/imagestore/0000004100/4157.jpg[/img] Story Apprentice (10) Finish the story prologue levels

Ah fuck, I totally forgot about Wik. Really thought that game was fantastic. Surprised nobody else seemed to feel the same. Has a fantastic flow to it once you get to grips with the mechanics.
  • First Achievement
    XlsiJ.png
    Don't even remember that. Rainbow Six Vegas 2.

Best Moment Online
    There's countless to list. The heady days of FNF on Forza 2 where I made a lot of friends from here, which led to meeting a few of them at the inaugural Regstock. The nights screaming at Frantic on NFSHP. But the one that sticks out the most for me is Left 4 Dead launch day. That time myself, g.man, Gunn and one other I can't remember (sorry) had the most amazing time. Throwing molotovs just as The Director spawned a mass of infected. Watching them run through the flames as we all panicked and screamed and laughed is something I'll never ever forget. That's what Live is all about. Creating one of a kind moments. And that was the best.

Worst Moment Online
    Back when I was younger and more naive on Forza 2 having a drunken argument with Unlikely after he called me 'spineless'. Back then I still had a notion that he was actually like the way he is on here. Turns out he's one of the nicest men I've ever met, and I'm extremely glad to call him a mate.

Been a member since 2008, I think.

I can't think of being without Live now. As much as some of us think it's lost its way recently with the dash updates, and media-centric positioning, I use almost all of it, and can't live without it. It's a great service. The fact it has a birthday that's being celebrated is pretty cool. Will we have the cake out for Home? Or Plus?....
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!