Games what "we" wrote
  • I look forward to it too. I will be making a shmup hopefully in the future. 

You guys keep a blog? How are you gonna approach marketing?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • We will be trying to keep a much more detailed blog. We'll try to go really in depth with how we are making the game and so on. I think that will be our main marketing strategy, just to drum up attention during development. And, as I said, it's going to be heavy on user created content so we will hopefully get the community involved early on too. We'll see.

We'll also use the fact that we got mentioned on Eurogamer and so on. Hopefully those things will count for something.

How are you going to make yours elf? Which engine etc?

We will be using Cocos2D, it's been used for shmups before so I know the performance is there. Plus I did a test where I threw around a bunch of bullets and it worked rather well.

If I can get working what I want to get working I'm going to be very happy with myself. Plus if Skerret goes ahead with the art style he initially wanted it will look very pretty too.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I will indeed do dat.  Once this fucking thesis is rolled, life begins again (at 33).  Then we make our millions.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Don't forget the Mechatiger boss.

You promised.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    There will be a Mechatiger boss.
    *sigh*
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
  • yo yo any takers to install my still in dev android kids game? just to make sure it works?
    http://horganphoto.com My STILL under construction website
    PSN : superflyninja
  • Skerret wrote:
    There will be a Mechatiger boss. *sigh*
    Yeeeeeaaaaaah!

I think he should fire shots from his eyes, and once they get to mid screen there's an awesome tiger roar sound and they split into three/four thin "bullets" like a scratch mark from a tiger. It will be awesome. You should probably put me on payroll now.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Skerret wrote:
    There will be a Mechatiger boss. *sigh*
    Yeeeeeaaaaaah! I think he should fire shots from his eyes, and once they get to mid screen there's an awesome tiger roar sound and they split into three/four thin "bullets" like a scratch mark from a tiger. It will be awesome. You should probably put me on payroll now.
    You are on the payroll.  Your starting salary will be nothing a month.
  • That's better than noth... oh.
  • MechaRam would be better.  not enough shmup bosses only have a single attack of a head on charge...

also, superfly, sorry for the delay checking your game out, but i'm a notoriously lazy cunt.  however i am getting closer, having sent the apk file to my gmail and found the charger for the old dell streak thing, so testing is only a plug and a few button presses away (though it's at home and i'm at work at the mo, so you can add 'miles' to that distance too currently!).
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • I was going to suggest a MechaElf too, but then realised the joke got boring after the first suggestion. 

I've got a book on Cocos2D and intend on giving a shot with that. Can't believe I've now had my MBPro almost for a week and still haven't really started using it, just logged on once to feel around Mountain Lion. It's my first Mac, you see. Been an exceptionally busy week.
  • MechaRam would be better.  not enough shmup bosses only have a single attack of a head on charge... also, superfly, sorry for the delay checking your game out, but i'm a notoriously lazy cunt.  however i am getting closer, having sent the apk file to my gmail and found the charger for the old dell streak thing, so testing is only a plug and a few button presses away (though it's at home and i'm at work at the mo, so you can add 'miles' to that distance too currently!).
    lol cheers! no rush, just keep in mind that the menu UI is not done properly(placeholder) at the moment and im currently finishing off the graphic assets and music is disabled.
    I do suspect the game will run perfectly tho ;p
    anyhoo once this is finished im moving onto the stunt platformer.possibly!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I really need to have another go at getting unity happy on my MacBook. Can't seem to but Lion anywhere though, now that Mountain Lion is out - the apple page just redirects me even though ML isn't compatible with my MacBook :-(
  • Think I'm actually going to start on the first version of the game platform I've been designing on and off for the past few years.  Whether the mate I'm "going into business" with is up to the effort, I don't know.  So long as it gets me started, I don't really care, I guess.

People like text adventures and Dungeons & Dragons still, yeah?
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    What do you mean by 'platform' exactly? Middleware??
  • Text adventures are a lot of work. I hope you like writing. If you have a solid framework to work off it won't be as tough.

And ace, if you're really struggling I suggest setting up Bootcamp and installing windows on your mac. That's what I've done. Windows seems to run better on my mac than OSX ever does. The bootcamp thing should have come with your mac.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    I've got unity working fine on my Windows desktop - it's iPhone deployment I'm blocked on (for which I need a mac, unless I'm mistaken, and only have my olde macbooke to help)
  • It's kind of middleware, more like a client/server engine for content and interactions. One way I like to describe it is that if Second Life is Realplayer, what I'm going for is YouTube. Luckily, a mate's already working on a book, so he's doing the writing and I don't need to worry about the bulk of it.

This evening, I've realised I've got a massive chunk more backend design work to do if I'm starting with a cut-down system with societies in it, rather than prehistoric man (as was my original plan), though. Which has put a damper on my spirits.
  • that sounds pretty interesting AJ.  i don't really understand what you're talking about, but it's definitely interesting! :)

PS: reading that back it looks quite sarcastic but for once i'm really not trying to be!

Also, Ace, i don't have an iphone.  i think you should get back to making games for your core audience... ;)
    "Like i said, context is missing."
    http://ssgg.uk
  • do we have any Illustrator artists in here?
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm aight' with Illustrator... though I rate Turtle's (O' Wurtle) work very highly. : )
    Quite sure there are others about... Why do you ask?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • well ive just started learning illustrator a few months ago. so just wondering if any of ye know of really good game related tutorial sites etc...or failing that down the line be possibly willing to collaborate for a game...
  • Is it hard to learn? I should be getting an Adobe CS package on the cheap pretty soon, has PS, Illustrator, InDesign and something else, I think.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is it hard to learn? I should be getting an Adobe CS package on the cheap pretty soon, has PS, Illustrator, InDesign and something else, I think.
    have you used photoshop? Ive been using photoshop for years but found the switch to illustrator a bit tricky to get my head around.Layers dont work in the same way...and in ways they do lol. but its actually fine to use and some great stuff can be created surprisingly quickly...
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    do we have any Illustrator artists in here?
    Yo, kinda.  Been using it for years for various types of projects.  Do all my designing in it.  A decent chunk of the Call Connect assets were born in AI.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I'll second the Turts mention though, he lives in it.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I like Inkscape as an alternative. Open source and renders .svg by default, so you can always take the output,
    and switch to Illustrator, if needs be.
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Is it hard to learn? I should be getting an Adobe CS package on the cheap pretty soon, has PS, Illustrator, InDesign and something else, I think.
    have you used photoshop? Ive been using photoshop for years but found the switch to illustrator a bit tricky to get my head around.Layers dont work in the same way...and in ways they do lol. but its actually fine to use and some great stuff can be created surprisingly quickly...

Yeah, I used it a fair bit back in CS3 and CS4 days for all my photo editing and sprucing on PC. Now need to get it for my MBPro. Never used Illustrator or any alternative. Might as well start with it as it doesn't cost much more to go for a package as opposed to just PhotoShop.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Also, Ace, i don't have an iphone.  i think you should get back to making games for your core audience... ;)

The day RamSteelwood becomes my core audience is the day I .... I .... damnit I'm lacking a comedy ending to this sentence, but imagine it to be suitably non-complimentary ;-p

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!