Your favourite games: broken. The Tool-Assisted/Speed-Run Thread
‹ Previous123
  • Quite partial to Tool Assisted speeduns (TAS), wherein players use save states, rewinds, frame by frame play and potentially impossible button inputs (pressing left and right), to explore the extreme posibillities of games.

There's also speed runs done by human hands, that still somehow push the boundaries of what's normally possible in game.

Bioshock in just over an hour?

Seems like a good time to start a thread as the 120 star Mario 64 TAS was released at the weekend.

All 120 stars in 1:20:41:

• Lol tracking
  • I am a tool I will assist you on your jaunt to acquire some speed from the locals kk
  • Also, someone worked out how to reprogram Pokemon Yellow from within the game, running custom code written by placing items in a corrupted backpack, rewritting the memory with the items' attributes.

http://aurellem.org/vba-clojure/html/total-control.html
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    The greatest speedrun:

And TAS:

• YES.

Reverse boss order is amazing, too.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fentonizer wrote:
    pressing left and right

Why would you want to do that? Surely they'd just cancel each other out.
  • Some games have weird interactions when you do this, as obviously it's not something that would ever happen in real gamplay.

I can't think of an example off the top of my head, but it's definitely a thing.

Oh, here's one from Super Mario on the NES regarding the fire flower shots:
    By pressing right+left at the same time, you can shoot to the left and the shots travel horizontally at twice the normal speed. It looks very aggressive, compared to the normal merrily bouncing fire balls. Though, this technique is more userful in water levels since it doesn't slow down Mario.

http://tasvideos.org/GameResources/NES/SuperMarioBros.html
  • This is mental

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Considering i never saw anyone in the arcade get past level level 3 in the arcade i love this long play - its not far from a speedrun really.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Yes, but what are your videos? Cannot view at work.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • ocarina of time tas with all glitches and pac land.

• This is for everyone who always thinks of the snes version as the not broken one.

The 5lap is still accurate but the flap strat is different to this.
  • Einhänder (PSX) in 31:29.93

• This shit being done by hand in a single segment. It's crazy how close it is to the TAS version really.

http://www.twitch.tv/siglemic/b/344469431

• Here's a new video of the aforementioned ingame hack to Pokémon Yellow, executing custom code from within the game.
  • The TAS ones really don't interest me, but I do like a good speedrun. The Mario live one is quite impressive but too many re-sets when he makes a slihht mistake to stick with it for too long. Some mad jumping skills nonetheless.

Must set the N64 up again and replay Mario & OOT.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    weres the skills in a tas?
    speedruns are clever and i like them....but aint tas like cheating or playing in god mode?
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    TAS is about pushing the game engine/code to its limits. Its not a prime example of pure skill, no, but if you like to see games broken (I do), they're enjoyable.
  • Some people just don't like them. That's fine, but what DS said. I just find this stuff interesting, it's like being Neo in the matrix I guess if you want to get crass about it. Seeing beyond the game and the graphics on screen to what actually makes it work the way it does.

Like, you know how the Missingno. glitch works but not why.
  • The mario 64 ds run is done by Alaktorn who is one of the most frequent posters on our mariokart forum. He is also the current number 1 at mk7.
  • Fentonizer wrote:
    Like, you know how the Missingno. glitch works but not why.
    Encountering a MissingNo. Pokémon is the result of three computing events. The first is the game's random battle encounter system: each area assigns values to Pokémon in a data buffer, which the game accesses for the player's encounters with wild Pokémon. However, no values are assigned to this buffer on the east coast of the Cinnabar and Seafoam Island locations—the information from the previously visited area is used instead.[7] The second factor is the in-game tutorial, which temporarily stores the player's name in the data buffer. This causes the game to access the hexadecimal values of the player's name for Pokémon encounters at Cinnabar and Seafoam Island. The third factor is the game's error handling system; if the game selects a value from the data buffer that is not an existing Pokémon, a subroutine is triggered that causes the appearance of a Pokémon named MissingNo., short for "Missing Number".[6][7]

As with any wild Pokémon, players may flee from, fight or capture MissingNo.[8] After an encounter with MissingNo., the quantity of the sixth item in the player's item menu is increased by 128, and the game's Hall of Fame Pokémon gallery becomes permanently glitched. Temporary graphical glitches may also occur,[8][9] which can be removed by viewing the statistics page for another Pokémon or resetting the console. A captured MissingNo. is a fully functional Pokémon, and appears in the game's Pokémon index as number 000. All MissingNo. possess consistent abilities, type, statistics and sounds. The Pokémon commonly appears as a scrambled "d"-shape, but certain encounter values cause it to appear as one of three sprites not used by other Pokémon.[8]
  • lots of people I know personally are there doing that. I dont have the patience for some of the stuff people there are doing. The muscle memory involved in amazing.
  • I watch a lot of their stuff - who do you know personally?

best one I saw recently was a sublime Super Ghouls and Ghosts run.

edit 2: ah, the MK lot you mean. Sorry I just meant the entire slection (full spectrum if you will) of games.
  • A lot of the mk guys do other games as well like dkc, Patrick Wessels often does a few games.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Surprised this hasn't been posted yet. I thought it was the most famous tool assisted speedrun, as when it initially went viral a couple of years back the author didn't know and people thought it was legit.

I find TASs interesting, same as "legit" runs. Same as those guys that spent ages finding the weird glitch jumps in Halo 2 and 3, or the guys that see if they can crack the security on a console. (Remember the unhackable PS3? Lulz.) I guess I just like people that look at something and wonder what they can get it to do that it wasn't meant to.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • https://gamesdonequick.com/schedule
    going again this weekend
  • I love speedruns, particularly RTA runs and not segmented.

AGDQ and SGDQ are events I look forward to every year.

Started trying to speedrun Pokemon Red myself, but keep screwing up due to the touch screen inputs on my phone.

I'll have to start playing on a proper emulator to get a decent time. Aiming for sub 2h10m first.
‹ Previous123

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!