Your favourite games: broken. The Tool-Assisted/Speed-Run Thread
  • Yeah I've watched that guy's stuff for ages now, pretty wonderful how much the game world and rules have been kind of reverse engineered and manipulated to do all kinds of crazy things.
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    What is point.
    A nod to Down the Line? Much love to you, sir.

• Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Took a year, worth it

• This is one of the most impressive runs I've seen recently. The skill involved is ridiculous.
    If Andy's point was "there's no point in getting that good at a game" then I agree with "what is point" because getting as good as these guys have gotten takes skill and dedication that not many people have. And so if you can't appreciate that then what is the point in doing anything ever.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    I never really got TAS runs, but I watched this video last week and I kind of love the lengths people will go to do ridiculous things like 0.5x A press runs of a level. I actually did a little yelp of joy when I correctly figured out how you get past the syncing speed issue, which is more down to how well the guy explained it than anything else.

That's insane. People like that both enthrall and terrify me.

It's a bit like something I found out about the OG Pokemon games recently. Wild Pokemon have a chance of appearing when you're in the long grass. "Long grass" like all the other terrain in the game is just a type of tile. In the original games, each "tile" that your character can stand on is made up of four smaller tiles. These smaller tiles are just graphics. You can have long grass tiles that are made up of four images of grass, or sometimes three grasses and one flower. What a main tile "is" is defined by which of the mini tiles is in the bottom left. So the game looks at the mini tiles, and says "hey, the bottom left mini tile is a grass icon, therefore the whole tile must be grass, so I should check to see if a wild Pokemon encounter is generated". In the Japanese versions of Red and Blue/Green, the long grass tiles with flowers in have the flower in the top right. For reasons unknown, the PAL and NTSC-U versions of these games have the long grass tiles rotated, so the ones with flowers in have the flower in the bottom left. So the game thinks these tiles aren't long grass, just empty space. Speed runners somehow figured this shit out, and will plan their routes through long grass areas to include as many flowers as possible, as it reduces the chances of a time-wasting battle.

mind_blown.gif, etc.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I haven't watched this specific video yet but thought I'd post it as it connects to your post Swirl. This guy's YouTube channel charts the path of different games or levels as runners found tricks and improved times. Not sure how he figures out the timelines exactly but the videos are great.

• This is perhaps a similar, if more brisk look at the apparently rather infamous 'barrier skip' which took 15 years for people to figure out -

Speedrunning really is crazy, I might have got into it had the ability to record stuff and known something of the whole scene when I was younger. I used to love finding all sorts of weird tricks and glitches, and escaping the map, Halo 2 in particular was brilliant for that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Yeah, I've watched a few of the [game title] world record progression videos, much more interesting than they have any right to be. The one about Mario 64 is good, as people figured out how to get to Bowser with fewer and fewer stars. Not watched the OG Pokemon one, though.

I've not watched that one about the WW barrier skip, either, but it has come up in my YouTube recommendations before now. Maybe I should cave and watch it.

In a similar vein, it's not a skip or a game breaking bug, but it is an interesting find. A rainbow coin was found in Donkey Kong 64 after 17 years.

For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    If you want your mind fucking blown you need to watch the current Ocarina of Time Any% world record. It's obscene
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Also Sens Fortress skip in Dark Souls is mental. Plus finding one minute little section in New Londo which, when jumped into in a certain, precise way, clips you through the floor and directly into Queelaags realm

Tbf a lot of these glitches/ideas are found by certain people spending hundreds of hours just trying shit, or using emu to try every control permutation/stick axis etc
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    This is perhaps a similar, if more brisk look at the apparently rather infamous 'barrier skip' which took 15 years for people to figure out -

Speedrunning really is crazy, I might have got into it had the ability to record stuff and known something of the whole scene when I was younger. I used to love finding all sorts of weird tricks and glitches, and escaping the map, Halo 2 in particular was brilliant for that.

The hover to Phantom Ganon needed in WW speedruns is insane. Precisely mash a button as dead link floats up to the platform then break some pots without landing and hoping a fairy flies into you. Miss that, you're dead, run over. That part happens over three hours into a run
  • Hehe yeah, hence the "any% is dead" I guess. Must just be too much of a pain in the arse at that point and not such a good spectacle.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Hehe yeah, hence the "any% is dead" I guess.

Yeah, I got into watching DK64 speedruns a while ago. Current times stand at 30 minutes for any%, 2.5 hours for NLE*, and 5.5 hours for 101%. Over a third of an any% run is the final boss fight. Pretty dull to watch.

*NLE = no levels early. The DK64 community created the category to sit between any% and 101%. There are various rules you need to observe, but it basically boils down to "you must enter each world legitimately".

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!