The Whisky thread
  • Oh sweet, just found the Glenfuck 105 online here for 25 quid for the litre.
  • Ordered.  Hopefully this is exactly what I'm after.  I also ordered the rum.
  • After taking yesterday off from the booze, I'm starting the evening with some JD Single Barrel, mixed with coke, ice and lemon. I don't think this counts as anything particularly heretical, given that even though its a 'premium' bourbon, its still JD.

I'm unaware of the protocol for this kind of booze, if I'm honest.

Its nice though.
    Gamertag: gremill
  • While the shops have everything discounted for Nye I thought I'd grab a couple of bottles. Got a glenfiddich 18 and a Jura 10. Both lovely but still prefer the balvenie.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • My Glenfarclas 15yr, and the 'Ron Zacapa Centenario Sistema Solera 23' rum are ready and waiting for me in store.  Saturday will be a good day.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Cya Monday.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Dammit I drank all my Pusser's already
  • I've decided to knock the booze on the head for a bit. My liver is celebrating.
  • I've had a few ciders and I'm eating fried chicken, so it's not the ideal set-up for whisky tasting, but my first thoughts on the Glenfarclas 15 yr are positive.  It's got all sorts of flavours going on.  Many thanks to I_R & Frantic for the recommendation.  

I also got a free glass with my rum.
  • Finished my Cardhu 12yr, Balvenie Signature 12yr, and Highland Park 12yr this weekend.  The first two in particular were top notch.  After a few days with the Glenfarclas 15yr I'd say it's pleasant, and certainly offers something different to most drinks in my collection, but I'm not especially taken with it for the price.  It does seem to divide opinion online, many drinkers rate it very highly indeed.
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Finished off a bottle of Old Pulteney at the weekend, tasty stuff.
  • Had a whisky tasting session at a neighbour's house on Saturday night. From those I can remember we sampled:

Genlivet 12yr
    Singleton of Dufftown 12yr
    Balvenie Doublewood 12yr
    Talisker 10yr
    Laphroaig 10yr
    Lagavulin 16yr
    Old Pulteney
    and a couple of others

I've not really drunk single malts before and was surprised at just how different they all tasted. I thought I might not get on with some of the more peaty ones but they were all lovely.

Final verdict: I like whisky.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Weather's put a sizeable dent in my schemes for the eve. Time to get knocced the fucc out on Fujisanroku again.
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    Lagavulin 16yr

I absolutely love that whisky.
  • I've bought a bottle of 20 year old Glenkinchie and a bottle of Johnnie Walker blue for myself and my girlfriend recently. I wasn't massively impressed by the Glenkinchie (for the price at least), though I can appreciate it. The Johnnie Walker blue is alright, quite nice, but I can't stop thinking about it. I don't know if it's just because the packaging is so good.

I also recently got bought a bottle of Glenfiddich Age of Discovery, and it is absolutely superb. Definitely prefer it to the two bottles I bought myself and I would recommend it - it's expensive, but it's not silly money.
  • So where do folks buy their whisky from, other than the supermarkets?
  • Amazon or one of the dedicated online whisky shops.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Mal0wner wrote:
    Lagavulin 16yr

It was possibly my favourite of the evening. It didn't feel like I was drinking it, more like absorbing it.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Mal0wner wrote:
    Lagavulin 16yr

It was possibly my favourite of the evening. It didn't feel like I was drinking it, more like absorbing it.

That's what Ardbeg is like - it feels like it is evaporating directly into your brain.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Gremill wrote:
    So where do folks buy their whisky from, other than the supermarkets?

http://www.johngordons.co.uk/

10 minute walk from my place. DANGER!

Edit: there's better prices to be found. It's just nice to be there.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Folks might like to try www.lfw.co.uk

Its a great shop, I go there whenever im in Inverary and the have or can get pretty much anything. They'll also send you samples of another whisky everytime you buy a bottle!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Reading through this thread, I have espied some talk re protocols , use of water etc. Being fond of my opinion which has a certain amount of heft in my locale, I'll give it here.

Put want you want in it - but really you should try it neat first - as with any potable really.

I myself will usually put some water in - even with a single malt - it can actually release the flavour. I will put a small amount in when it takes my fancy. I'll take the lump or two of ice very occasionally depending on my mood too - though that's usually with a blend. Some singles are lush on their own though - my Bushmills '75 got hit a bit on New Years Eve - it's a smooth as a babbies arse while being flavoursome and really doesn't need it - others may not agree - so what?

After a few single malts I move onto good blended whiskey - the palate is a bit anesthetised at that point so the subtlety will be lost on you. Johnny Walker black is lovely , as is Black Bush if you want a bit of Irish in you. Tullamore Dew is another favourite of mine.

I don't put anything but water in - but I wouldn't look down at someone who puts Coke in theirs - each to their own.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • I wouldn't begrudge them Coke in something cheap like Bells or Teachers, anything to make the lower end more palatable. Malts or middle to top end blends has got to be a no no though. Why pay a premium if you're going to drown the flavour, the age and the commitment in gassy cola? I'm not adverse to a Charles Kennedy, but never with anything above a Jameson's.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Sir Edwards is very popular out here although it apparently gives you a tremendous headache. Still at five pounds for a litre you cant complain

921_6ea63c1fe0620dd598c7e5fefb8ec325_main_large.jpg
  • I'm pretty sure I would.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Webbins wrote:
    I wouldn't begrudge them Coke in something cheap like Bells or Teachers, anything to make the lower end more palatable. Malts or middle to top end blends has got to be a no no though. Why pay a premium if you're going to drown the flavour, the age and the commitment in gassy cola? I'm not adverse to a Charles Kennedy, but never with anything above a Jameson's.

I've never seen the act of throwing coke into a decent whisk(e)y so I can't say how I'd react.
    Fossildog wrote:
    Sir Edwards is very popular out here although it apparently gives you a tremendous headache. Still at five pounds for a litre you cant complain
    At a fiver a litre you deserve everything you get if you take a skinful of it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • The local 7-11 near us is doing a Glen Parker malt for £15. Not heard of it but I was curious and suspicious at the same time due to it being undated. After a bit of research it seems advisable to steer clear.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • davyK wrote:
    I've never seen the act of throwing coke into a decent whisk(e)y so I can't say how I'd react.

I've not seen it either, but it happens a fair bit with brandy.  A Cardenal Mendoza and tap Pepsi you say, you overpaid twit?  No.
  • My wife's offered to buy me a good bottle of whisky for my birthday this month. I've gone for the Uigeadail. Thoughts will follow in a few weeks.
  • it's AMAZE

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!