In it for teh HYPE...

"I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    When this game is played well, it's impossible to stifle a massive grin.
    I don't think it's just fighting game fans that will get that either...

This game could end up being the defacto vs fighter.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also, not as HYPE for this game, but another amusing Desk video:

• DBFZ, lost connection to my first matched opponent, then lobby crashed. Never mind. I’ll try again tomorrow. How long is it running for?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    MASH SQUARE! MASH TRIANGLE! MASH CROSS! MASH CIRCLE! MASH R1! MASH L1!

There's a lot more to it, of course, but I didn't get on with it. I'd had enough after half of its tutorial. I also don't care for its generic cast of spiky-haired pyjamamen (still waiting for that Panthro, Ulysses and Venger team).

It does move nicely.
  • To be honest I’m just gonna buy this for the single player. I’d pretty much buy anything DBZ related
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • Mate wait until I roll up with the Yamcha, Android 16 and Chiaotzu team of low tier dreams all wearing pink.

In other news I'm totally going to miss out on the beta, d'oh! When does it finish?

Edit @Escape
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It closed just now at 8!

I'd rent it if I could, but I'm well on the fence for now. I had to press a variety of buttons to get Slayer going in ACP, along with his jump-inserts. Whereas I felt like I was being funnelled into rote combos with this. I found you can mix them up from messing around with them, but there's loads of mash.

It doesn't strike me as being as open as KoF XIV in reserving its autocombos for beginners; they seem to feature quite heavily in Sako's play from what I've seen of it. Dunno.

https://www.twitch.tv/sakonoko_game
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Pinkmanning, yes.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    It does move nicely.

This.

Also, I'm not a DBZ fan by any stretch, but the graphics are really impressive.
    So I'll admit to being carried along by that in no small part.

And yes, attacking play at this stage does look a little repetitive. Very Marvel like with assist/overhead/low mixups all over the shop when the more serious mans are playing. And characters who look so different visually, currently appear to share very similar movesets.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    I think that's what I'm after: the same fluidity and visuals, but with a bunch of different toons parachuted in. A new CvS...

I'm actually against too much complexity on the mechanical side, so a simplified GG's all right by me.
  • Re combos by rote, I believe the combo system (at this time) appears to be more restrictive than Xrd, however this game is a 3v3 tag battler and as such it appears the emphasis is (rightly imo) on team composition a la glorious MvC3.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
  • Most games with auto combos they're deliberately weakened, but they're strong in this.

There is a universal teleport mechanic, homing dash, throw that leads to a combo, and assists to deal with too.

People have already posted way more advanced stuff than just auto-combo > special > dash > auto-combo > teleport > Super
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yeah. The homing dash is an interesting thing...

The game is quick, the stages, both horizontally and vertically, are huge, and the characters are relatively small. 

I think it's a concession to 'mid-level' players like me, who ain't got them 1frm lnkz, and Sirlin spacing, but will spend a pair of lost hours in training mode looking for the longest string I can mash, before the execution barrier sets in.

As for combos, pretty sure Scape' just being facetious... It's not even day one yet.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    It'll take the best part of Feb to formulate 'em, I'm just going on what I've seen from Desk and Sako. Chopper's business, mostly. And like he says, I can't recall another fightman with such effective autos. 'Course, they'll be superseded if anything else does a bit more damage...

I won't be surprised if it has ultra-defined tiers. Was it rushed, does anyone know?
  • Extra day of beta.  I'll try again tonight and see if I can get a match.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Escape wrote:
    Was it rushed, does anyone know?

That's a good question, because production details are thin on the ground, which is rare for a high profile fighting game. Especially one with a huge license.

My guess is that the game may have been in development almost as soon as Xrd showed signs of promise in internal playtests.

They probably kept it secret for so long, to steal a march on a few rivals in a now strangely competitive market.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    It's also made me realise how much I hate the modern games media now...

Edge had a preview recently... I bet you the details can be found there.
    Run a Google search though, and all you find is "Latest test adds Goku's dog!!!" or something.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    I'm surprised by how hype I am for this game.

What's in the so called 'edition' version?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I just read the EG preview for Dragonballz, the casual stuff appeals greatly. This may be the first fightman I pick up this gen.
  • Game central have also given it a big thumbs up.
    SFV - reddave360
  • The immortal legend

Such restraint.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    I just read the EG preview for Dragonballz, the casual stuff appeals greatly. This may be the first fightman I pick up this gen.

Preordered.

I wonder about questions of depth, but fuck it. High level matches so far look like a fucking hoot.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I am to the available depth in fightmans as paddling toddlers are to the ocean.
  • Brooks wrote:
    The immortal legend Such restraint.

Haven't even watched more than 7 seconds but I already know that this will be amazing because Kuroda is a magical and special boi. I hope he's feeling a bit better these last few months since the r/kappa postcard drive.
  • Kuroda is just a fucking deity.
  • It's hard to beat the sheer efficiency and sound reads, and Q is a great platform for that sort of demonstration for having specific limitations. He should be a sitting fuck on paper, but Kuroda manages to control the matches by what appears to be well, a lot of sitting. Proper tense footsie fightman - the best fightman.

I've been trying to model my Oro play on Kuroda's lean approach for ages, but I'm bound to be outta shape now. Need regular comp.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Almost everyone else plays a lively frame-exchange game in 3S. Its pace really encourages the cultivation of flashmen, their desire to break Kuroda's rhythm to suit their own his recurring strength.

Qudans is similar in using Devil Jin's frame-advantage to make others doubt the viability of their options, often proving their doubts correct via constriction. We've all lost for giving in to the cheapness urge when losing badly, just as we've felt mindgames shift in our favour when storming ahead.

I've always visualised mindgames between equal players as a balanced see-saw at the start of each round, and so the more airtight on frames and punishes you are, the fatter.

Reads are great, but you can never count on them as an influence because the other player obviously doesn't predict them. Whereas staying on top of frames and in control is a visible metric that gets into others' heads. Kuroda gives more of himself away with Akuma, I think, despite the tier-jump from Q. And that temptation to get in on Akuma's always much higher given his health, so the dynamic's less psychologically exploitative.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Talking of Qudans, his match against Help was some real business (Lee's corpse-hops were attempted resets into juggles):

Stronk poloman, also:

SAINT's into modding, @Roujin

NzV1HWe.png
    pc7Wd39.png

Gooble-gobble.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    It's hard to beat the sheer efficiency and sound reads, and Q is a great platform for that sort of demonstration for having specific limitations. He should be a sitting fuck on paper, but Kuroda manages to control the matches by what appears to be well, a lot of sitting. Proper tense footsie fightman - the best fightman. I've been trying to model my Oro play on Kuroda's lean approach for ages, but I'm bound to be outta shape now. Need regular comp.

That's the archetypal Itabashi/Snakeeyez game, isn't it?
    Also, that kara throw is a fuck.

While fundamentals are character agnostic, you can't neglect your toolset in a serious game.

When Snakeeyez plays as a shoto (Ryu/Akuma), there's more patience than the typical Ryu player there, but he does play more like every other decent shoto player, because he now has more offensive options, and no way of claiming a fifth of a healthbar with one throw.

When I watch the UK WSO stream from time to time, I like to watch Hurricane... He's not as famous as Problem X is now, and Cammy's toolset masks his intention, but Hurricane has the kind of working memory that your Kuroda vid illustrates.

He'll remember a repeated pattern of play, 10+ exchanges down the line, and will fuck you with full punishes, just because.

Basically, I'm trying to say, you can't just sit there in the same way with Oro, but everyone can stand to work on reading opponents... Which Kuroda/Giefs/Sims nurture out of necessity...

I've not played anyone half decent in a long time. :[

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!