First System
‹ Previous1234
  • What was your first home system (computer/console)?

How do you look back on it? Did you have many games? Which did you play most? Did you make any stupid purchases? And do you still own it?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Snes
    Fondly
    Yes
    SSF2
    No
    Yes
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Spectrum 48k. I loved it at the time. Played Horace goes skiing and flight simulator. Loved playing chuckie egg as well for hours at a time.
    Unfortunately it died.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Beeb Micro, or something. It had Q*Bert and something else, I forget.
  • Commodore 64. The TMNT game was my fave. I don't really remember it that fondly, as I'm not really busting a gut to get a new one. Um...
  • Ahh fuck it wasn't even Q*Bert proper, it was Acornsoft's cheeky rip. And the monitor was CGA only.
  • Spectrum. Fondly, but realistically. Everyone had all the games. It's long gone, sold it for a tenner to some nerds that were using them for a college project.
  • Toshiba HX10 MSX. MSX was a precursor to Windows.
    My dad bought it for me for Christmas because he had a Toshiba radio and it "lasted years." What kind of stupid reason is that to buy a computer?
    I wanted a C64 because graphex and I could go to Boots to buy a game, so I was mildly disappointed.
    I had to buy my games which came in the form of fairly expensive Konami carts for £40 by mail order from a shop called Tavistock Hi-Fi in England. I got one for my birthday and one for Christmas and was fairly resentful of my C64 owning school friends who could just stroll to Boots and pick up games for £10.
    Now I'm actually glad I got the MSX. The best game was Penguin Adventre. As it happens, it was Kojima's first game and from where the penguin references originate in other Konami games like Parodius.

Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • All pink and cyan and black and white.
  • PC Engine.

Not really, it was the spectrum.
  • I had an Amiga 500.
    It came with a bundle of kid's games.
    Deluxe Paint
    Captain Planet
    Bart vs the Space Mutants
    Batman
    some other shit I don't remember.

I bought loads of games that were rubbish but was given loads that played awesome (some pirated some not).
    Most played games were Batman, Robocod, Lotus Turbo 2, Jaguar XJ220 and Big Nose the Caveman.

I still have it and probably about 200 demo discs somewhere at my parent's place.

I played the hell out of it at the time but for some reason always wanted a Mega Drive instead.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    BBC B

Repton. Still great, even today. (Although I don't have the Beeb anymore)
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    300px-Atari-2600-Wood-4Sw-Set.jpg

None of this 2600 malarkey.
  • Wait! Fuck! No! It was this version called J-Bird:

In which case I can't remember what the fuck the machine was. Whatever throwntogether PC the guy down the road in Southern Africa had managed to get his hands on. So the first game I owned, rather than fiddled with down the arcade, was pirated.
  • Whatever throwntogether PC the guy down the road in Southern Africa had managed to get his hands on.

Your past is a terrifying mystery.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Binatone TV Master Mk 6 and then the classic Atari 2600 VCS...

With fondness.

Yes.

Vanguard.

No, I was a child I didn't purchase anything.

No.
  • metagonzo wrote:
    BBC B Repton. Still great, even today. (Although I don't have the Beeb anymore)
    Yes, one of them. Repton was a good one. And Stryker's Run, Elite, some Ultimate stuff like Sabre Wulf and Jet-Pac and Atic Atac and Knightlore. Plus lots more I can't remember. I think we wanted a Spectrum though, but my Dad decided this would be more educational or some shit. Only used it for games of course, and there were never as many available as on the speccy.
  • Grandad has a BBC micro with Chucky Egg which was the first thing I ever played.

Dad had Amiga with R-Type.

I had a Megadrive 2 with Sonic.

Whats with all the questions?

No one expects the Maria inquisition!
  • I had a demo of this on the Amiga, it came on it's own on a green semi-transparent floppy disk. I thought it was absolutely amazing, I played it so much it was ridiculous. Never attempted to buy it for some reason.

• metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    metagonzo wrote:
    BBC B Repton. Still great, even today. (Although I don't have the Beeb anymore)
    Yes, one of them. Repton was a good one. And Stryker's Run, Elite, some Ultimate stuff like Sabre Wulf and Jet-Pac and Atic Atac and Knightlore. Plus lots more I can't remember. I think we wanted a Spectrum though, but my Dad decided this would be more educational or some shit. Only used it for games of course, and there were never as many available as on the speccy.

Yep; similar reasoning behind my folks choice. We eventually had an Archemidies for fuck sake!
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Grandstand4600VideoSportsCentre_www_zps651aa4f5.jpg
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Fucking hell, what year was that I'm sure I had one as the rifle looks familiar?
  • My first system was an Amiga 500 with Spitting Image and Winter Games.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    About 80-82, something like that.

The rifle was actually a pistol. You converted it to a rifle by screwing in a longer barrel and shoulder stock, Day of the Jackal style.

Perfectly acceptable toy for a 6/8 year old.
  • My first love was my Spectrum 48K with Atic Atac and Oracle's Cave. I remember spending ages trying to get the LOAD command to work to get the games installing. My friend had got The Hobbit too, and I still remember watching those loading screens coming down line by line.
    PSN: LtPidgeon - Live: Lt Pidgeon
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:
    About 80-82, something like that. The rifle was actually a pistol. You converted it to a rifle by screwing in a longer barrel and shoulder stock, Day of the Jackal style. Perfectly acceptable toy for a 6/8 year old.
    I'm sure I had one, I remember the Binatone as it was bright orange and I played the game where you jumped buses on a bike non-stop. My Dad must have spent a small fortune on me back in the day...
  • Atari 2600. Similar to the image posted by Oli, but it had the independent difficulty switches. I have very fond memeories of the machine, but really wouldn't want to go back and play anything now. Never had that many games for it, but my most played was probably Kaboom!, Combat or Skiing. I remember playing River Raid, Frogger, Adventure, Empire Strikes Back, Pole Position and Pac Man, but many of these games were borrowed. I thought Pac Man was great at the time.

I eventually sold it and put the money towards a Spectrum Plus. My first game for this was Knight Lore.
  • hunk wrote:
    Snes Fondly Yes SSF2 No Yes

This. Almost exactly the same. (SF2 Turbo for me.)
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • BBC Micro with an Acorn Electron at my grandparents. Played lots of Repton Returns and summat with a dood on a motorbike jumping over stuff as you scrolled left to right (Micro) and a dodgy port of Ghouls & Ghosts (Electron).

Both gone to the silicon factory in the sky.

Amiga 500 with the Screen Gems pack was where the magic happened though.
‹ Previous1234

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!