adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Well that's true, but I get the impression Nintendo aren't very happy that they ended up losing the hardcore end of the spectrum. They do give the impression of being more interested in people like us this time round, whether that's because mobile apps are now competing for the casual audience they helped create or because we're the group that'll fork out for a new console in the current economic climate I don't know.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • the casuals like paying 79p for a game the hardcore pay anything up to fifty quid for a game. you can see why they miss the hardcore.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I think they're heading in the right direction with 3DS, though; you can get your "hardcore" games for £30-ish quid, but there's also the cheaper (and often quite lovely) stuff on the eShop. They could do with being a smidgen cheaper (£7.20 for Plants Vs Zombies, anyone?), but then you can say that about almost anything.

I'm hoping they're not quite as draconian with the Wii U as they were with the Wii, it'd be interesting to see what "casual" titles people come up with for that pad.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    It's got fuck all to do with HDTV. The problem was the only controller in the box to play Call of Duty with was that stupid waggle/point thing.

I've made my thoughts about the DS3 more than clear in the past but fuck knows what trying to play a real game using that A4 tablet with thumbsticks on the side is going to be like. Bloody uncomfortable, I'm guessing.
  • I thought the Wii remote and nun-chuck combo was a great controller. When used with subtlety, of course. It worked great for Mario Galaxy, RE4, Okami. Don't play FPS game so I can't comment, and it's clearly shite for beat-em-ups but generally it worked well for me, so long as the developers didn't feel the need to include mindless waggle just because they could. Plus you could scratch your balls and arse at the same time without having to put the controller down.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Nintendo launched the Wii when there was no reason to own a HDTV. I can see how it made sense to them. There was no HD broadcast that I know of, at the time. The Wii was designed to run on CRT or optimally on EDTV, a format which died a death. HDTV was fuelled by Xbox. If you didn't own an Xbox, there really was no need to have a HDTV.
    I even remember caling 'round to my mum's to find she'd just spent £500 on a 32" HDTV then complained that her CSIs etc actually looked worse, when she was led to believe that HDTV would improve display. Bit of a weird period that. The unthinking masses just went with it.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • Mouldywarp wrote:
    it's clearly shite for beat-em-ups

You didn't play Tatsunoko Vs Capcom, then...

Possiblity of a HD F-Zero, The Twin Snakes HD, HD Mario and a new Sin and Punishment... maybe even Ikaruga 2? I'm still in.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • The controller was perfectly suited to FPSs. The pointer functionality was one of the highlights of Metroid Prime 3 certainly. It was more likely the lack of graphical grunt that made it a poor alternative for the CoD crowd.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    I thought the Wii remote and nun-chuck combo was a great controller.

Which didn't come in all boxes. IIRC.
  • JonB wrote:
    The controller was perfectly suited to FPSs. The pointer functionality was one of the highlights of Metroid Prime 3 certainly. It was more likely the lack of graphical grunti that made it a poor alternative for the CoD crowd.

and shit online. And that modern warfare 1 came out about 2 years after the original.
  • and shit online.
    Yeah, that would be a major point too. I mean, if they understandably didn't predict HD being a big deal, the need for a decent online service was a given to attract 'core' gamers.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    The controller was perfectly suited to FPSs. The pointer functionality was one of the highlights of Metroid Prime 3 certainly. It was more likely the lack of graphical grunt that made it a poor alternative for the CoD crowd.

The Wii remote + MP3 was a fail, in my opinion.

Hated it. Hated it with Resi 4 and Zelda: TP too, but I persevered.

Wanky console.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    Mouldywarp wrote:
    I thought the Wii remote and nun-chuck combo was a great controller.
    Which didn't come in all boxes. IIRC.

Every Wii console came with one remote and one nunchuck attachment.
    Believe!
  • The Wii remote + MP3 was a fail, in my opinion. Hated it. Hated it with Resi 4 and Zelda: TP too, but I persevered. Wanky console.

I think people either loved it or hated it. I remember thinking one advantage of the remote was that typing in text became much quicker and easier that with a control pad. Five minutes later my flat mate was saying the complete opposite. Strange how differently people responded to it.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    New design, now with analogue sticks.

47ed5083.jpg
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel wrote:

On that website the only comment was a complaint. What a miserable twat.

But yes, if TRUE. Ohmygod

• Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Plastic Bertrando.
  • Raiziel wrote:
    New design, now with analogue sticks.

47ed5083.jpg

Raz, if this is reet, then Ninty have probably gots my monies. Yay?!

Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Damn, Raziel beat me to it. That's a tasty looking pad right there.

In other news, Tatsunoko Vs Capcom was my favourite beat 'em up ever. The only one I bought an arcade stick for. Metroid Prime 3 (and Wii-ized 1) and Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition were all proper amazing, and made ever better with the "waggle" controls. Slamming the nunchuck down to reload was enormously satisfying.

The Wii is one of the most unfairly maligned consoles, I think. It has it's problems, but which machine doesn't? Love mine to pieces. Monster Hunter Tri may be my game of the generation, or at least a tie with Halo 3.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    That controller looks impossible to hold.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Ergonomics or no, it looks like a proper Ashens' iPad.
  • Seems somehow familiar...
    47ed5083.jpg
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • ScreenShot2012-05-20at022137.png
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Surely its the ultimate controller, there is a giant pad in the middle to sit your Tea on.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

Until we've seen the back there's no way to make that statement.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    Until we've seen the back there's no way to make that statement.

Well, I said looks rather than will be.

Where are the palms of your hands going to go? On the bottom edge? You'll be able to reach the buttons if you're E.T.

With the shape of the tablet and the position of the controls, I can only envisage holding it being a weird claw action.
  • What are we thinking the square thing is under the D-pad?
    Ps4:MrSpock1980J     XBL-360: Jadgey      
    Things are looking up for my penis.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!