Wii and Wii U
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Just saw a post in an n64 group that points out the middle prong of the n64 controller is a ringer for the Wii nunchuck. Ninty never throw away an idea.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Man holding the Wii u pad and it’s way nicer to hold than the switch as a handheld. Obviously this is much easier as there’s less in there and they’re trying to do less fancy shit with the controllers so you can see why but it’s quite a surprise still.

The screen is obviously low tech even for the time but I really liked it. Hefty weight, solid dpad. I could only really get as far as the couch with mine before disruption though. Not sure what the optimal distance was but I certainly don't live in a huge house.
    SFV - reddave360
  • davyK wrote:
    Just saw a post in an n64 group that points out the middle prong of the n64 controller is a ringer for the Wii nunchuck. Ninty never throw away an idea.

Pretty sure its the same form as the wii u gamepad too.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK wrote:

That's blown my mind.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Erm... it's the shape of a handle. Hardly a surprise.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Come on man. Look at it.

_5jy-z7y33xVKFBZ1NoUqOu7yFgihF4VPFyTtcjEie4.jpg?auto=webp&s=3254f599c92c3c83992b99280e0303b5f97cedf4
  • Sure, but the functionality is basically the same in both cases - stick on the top, trigger underneath - so how else would they do it?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I think it's more the form factor than the explicit functionality of it. Either handle design peaked in 1996 or it is fairly explicitly referencing it.
  • They probably had to go through some right pain to get a functionally comfortable controller for the n64 they determined that was the best shape for a single hand thumb controller grip (they fucked up making a good anyway but it was an impossible task once they went with the stupid trident form).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    JonB wrote:
    Sure, but the functionality is basically the same in both cases - stick on the top, trigger underneath - so how else would they do it?

It seems rather obvious now. Given how Sony , Sega and later MS approached 3D, it wasn't so back then. The placement of sticks and buttons, particularly on Nintendo hardware, has always looked odd but felt right. Not always the case with the others.

Sony just took a SNES controller and added two shoulder buttons and replaced the dpad with 4 shit buttons - they only plonked on 2 analogue sticks later on.

Nintendo were clearly not entirely sure if 3D was going to be as big a deal as it turned out to be. The N64 controller is a fine traditional 2D controller. They certainly didn't think about FPS games since Nintendo don't really use the shoot mechanic. I'm guessing that explains the absence of a second stick. Sega ignored it completely only offering a late token effort with the Nights controller. 

The design of MS and Sony controllers have collapsed down to a layout that has been only fine tweaks from Oldbox but given the narrow focus on 3D environmental gaming that has been prevalent on those platforms it comes as no real surprise.

My real point though is how Nintendo hardware echoes down the generations with respect to form - curves, button shapes etc. Old designs have popped up later on. From G&W dual screen games to DS for example. It thought it was neat is all.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    24 player MK Wii... CPU only at present.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_wTxuKoHKzs
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Discovered this morning there's 165 physical wiiu games and I have 77.

It's...

Doable....

Right?
  • Don't do it mate. Think about your N64 collection and how much better you felt culling the unnecessary shit.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Don't do it mate. Think about your N64 collection and how much better you felt culling the unnecessary shit.

A very good point. Culling 100+ N64 games was cathartic. There was a point where I was just asking for games for Xmas and bdays as I hit the 200 mark.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And to be fair I think I have the rarest wiiu games already (TMS, Project Zero etc) so picking up CARS 2 doesn't fill me with much joy
  • Thought you with struggling with money? You can do so much more with the money then buy all the crap on WiiU. Buy something nice for your wife.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Thought you with struggling with money? You can do so much more with the money then buy all the crap on WiiU. Buy something nice for your wife.

Thing is I am still utterly skrimping, flogging stuff on eBay and only getting game s by trading in - just thought of it as a long term goal a la N64 which was 6 years worth

• I went the opposite way with my Wii U.

As much as I played and loved it, I'm selling everything I can and buying it on Switch which I'm absolutely loving.

All I have left are Mario 3D World, Yoshi's Woolley World, the two HD Zelda remakes and ZombiU.

I could get Woolley World on 3DS if I really wanted, so if the Zelda's and 3D World make the Switch I'd probably sell it and pick up a Wii.

That way I could pick up some GameCube games, I wouldn't mind playing Sunshine and giving F-Zero GX another go.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've still never played GX and want to. It's always just a little too pricey
  • I had it but never got into it like most GCN stuff.

It just didn't feel right after X on N64 which I still think is absolutely superb.

Sunshine also stands as the only mainline Mario I've not completed 100%.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If you still have your Wii u hack it and it can play GameCube games Retro.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • The Wii U is just the best version of the Wii and Gamecube too when hacked.

Pretty certain that have added support for the GC controller adapter for all Wii/GC games.
  • You could also hack it and sell your remaining Wii U games, then put hacked Wii U games on it, if you were going the whole hog.  Pretty sure that's what Escape did with my old one.
  • The Wii U is just the best version of the Wii and Gamecube too when hacked. Pretty certain that have added support for the GC controller adapter for all Wii/GC games.

one of my favourite things about the switch is how i can use that adapter to play any game 4 player with cube pads. missing a few buttons mind but it works fine for MK.
  • Jesus christ.
    Burn the artwork, burn it now!
  • Eric wrote:
    If you still have your Wii u hack it and it can play GameCube games Retro.
    The Wii U is just the best version of the Wii and Gamecube too when hacked.

Pretty certain that have added support for the GC controller adapter for all Wii/GC games.

How easy is it to do and what's the interface like?

Do you have to hack the virtual Wii as well as the Wii U?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Well it seemed simple but having said that I couldn't even work out how to unpackaged the files correctly on the SD card. I think ChopperByrne and DS have done it successfully though!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I haven't gotten around to it yet, but the guide I checked was simpler than modding a PSP, and that was piss easy.
  • I've modded PSP's and setup Raspberry Pi's with retropie, so I'm confident enough to do it.

What's putting me off is all the online instructions seem to vary in methods and outcome.

Is the UI nice and simple or do you have to load up cfw or homebrew channels everytime you boot up?

Does any of it have to be done in Wii mode?

Also as far as the emulation side goes what's the N64 like? My PSP/retropie has be covered for everything else.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!