Your top 10 FPS - All formats
‹ Previous123456712
  • Mod74 wrote:

In the Where next for online MP FPSes? thread Mod posted OXM's top 10 firstperson shooters. Obviously this was just shooters from the 360, since it's OXM, but regardless it was quite interesting. I_R made a good point as well, which I decided to give it's own thread because I'm thinking about shooters in general rather than just online.
    I_R wrote:
    That list does a great job of illustrating how divisive the genre is. It's miles away from what I'd think of as a top 10 and I'd guess most people here would come up with completely different lists.

So, yeah, what's your lists? Using OXM's rationale, only one game from a series can be on the list, but you can have any platform including PC. From Xbox 360 launch until now, your top 10 first person shooters.

OXM's list:

10. The Chronicles of Riddick: Assault on Dark Athena
    9. Rage
    8. Battlefield 3
    7. Bulletstorm
    6. Borderlands 2
    5. Far Cry 3
    4. Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    3. Halo 3
    2. Bioshock
    1. Left 4 Dead
  • Goldeneye. Fuck the rest.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Far Cries, Battlefields, Portals, Mirror's Edge (STOP YOU'RE INTERNAL DIALOGUE!), Cryses, Doom3, CoD4, CoD MW2....erm....no ranking yet...thinking...

What's in their list? Can it be put in the OP to compare?

Edit: what WorKid said disregard everything above.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • It's linked, but yes. It's worth reading their rationale though.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Noted. When I get the chance.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Blimey. In no particular order:

Halo: Reach
    Battlefield: Bad Company 2
    Half Life 2 (I'm starting to notice a theme here)
    Rainbow Six: Vegas 2
    MAG
    Far Cry 3
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare
    Borderlands
    Operation Flashpoint: Red River
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution

I couldn't put Bioshock and Left 4 Dead in there despite them being better that some games from my list as I just don't see them as true FPS games. Deus Ex only just gets past my random qualification criteria.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Goldeneye was before the Xbox wasn't it?
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    I loved GoldenEye at the time, but I can't imagine it holds up very well today.
    Get schwifty.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    And if I were to compile such a list, I certainly wouldn't hesitate to add BioShock; it's in first person and ya shoot stuff.
    Get schwifty.
  • Delta Force 3 I enjoyed on PC alongside R6: Rogue Spear. Didn't mind MoH: Frontline on PS2 although the poly power wasn't there to push through the beach landing past a cut scene. Dragon Rising trumps Red River in this gen's Flashpoints though.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Oh no another top games list... YESSSSSS!

Does Metroid Prime count? If so, here's my very quick list:

1. Metroid Prime
    2. Half Life 2
    3. Halo(s)
    4. Bioshock
    5. Dishonoured
    6. Crysis
    7. Goldeneye
    8. Bulletstorm
    9. STALKER
    10. FEAR

I have, regretfully, yet to play Left 4 Dead or any Deus Ex games.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bollocks, post says from 360 launch onwards. I'll try again...
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I feel stupid having missed out on L4D's and Boarderlands.
  • 1. Half Life 2
    2. Halo 3
    3. Bioshock
    4. Dishonoured 
    5. Crysis
    6. Bulletstorm
    7. STALKER
    8. FEAR
    9. Erm.....
  • I have Metroid Prime 3 on my list Elf, so I'd say yes. Unless you mean the 1st, in which case you could cheat and use Metroid Prime Trilogy.

It occurs to me as I write this that I actually find it very difficult to come up with 10. In part it's because I didn't like Bioshock, which everyone else seems to be putting on, and there are quite a few others I've never played. Far Cry, Crysis, Borderlands, Operation Flashpoint, Battlefield, Killzone, Stalker, Fear, Dishonored. Not played a one. Half Life 2 and Deus Ex, I've played about 20 mins of each.

I think I could probably do a 3rd person list a bit easier.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    1 CoD4
    2 Borderlands
    3 FEAR
    4 Far Cry 2
    5 Crysis 2
    6 Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    7 Half Life 2
    8 Bioshock
    9 Metro 2033
    10 Singularity
  • 360 onwards, that's Frontline out then... and Rogue/Delta. BC2 is the best then.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Did you edit your post Dante? I thought it said from Xbox not 360. Either way I'll switch Reach in for 2.

Raiz, what makes an FPS for you then? Would Dishonoured count?
  • Christ, if I were to include lightgun games this would come much easier.
  • 1. Bad Company 2 - Rush specifically. Teamwork, objectives and destruction in perfect harmony.

2. Left4Dead - I lost interest when people got good at it, but that early couple of weeks when everyone was just feeling their way round the maps was an absolute blast. The mix of hilarity, anxiety and fury can probably never be matched. The noise over Live was incredible.

3. COD4 - Everybody owned it, so you could fill a lobby with Edge Forum v Edge Forum. You could also jump on alone and run about shooting people. Good maps, acceptable net code, Live was still a bit more relaxed than it became later. Campaign was fun as well. Creeping around Chernobyl, the nuke!

4. BF1943 - Again gets a vote for accessibility, 1200 space bucks meant everyone owned it. Death, destruction and some pretty nice beaches.

5. Halo 3 - It's Halo, in HD. Worth the place for all the features that no one else bothers with on consoles - map maker, video - but it seems like every version since has been an attempt to recapture the magic of the earlier games.

6. MAG - Flawed, but remember when developers were ambitious?

7. Borderlands - The sequel was maybe too much Borderlands, but the first was a fun blast. Millions of guns.

8. Bad Company 1 - MP had some great moments, but also some huge problems playing with friends. Worth a spot for the wide open and zany campaign. Like something from a different world.

9. Killzone 3 - Great graphics, the weapons were decent and they had some great ideas. Cut scenes in the MP were a highlight. Might have the best net code of any shooter this gen as well. Some horrible mistakes with map design and balance unfortunately.

10. Rage - This needed a MP death match. Old fashioned nonsense campaign and the ending was terrible, but blasting mutants was fun.
  • It did, but I meant 360 by that, so edited.
  • Ok, MP Trilogy at number 1. Rest go lower by 1, obviously. I'll relist if I can be bothered. That's still only 9, though. I haven't played quite a few of the applauded FPSes. 

Does Portal count? That would be number 3 or 4 if it did.
  • Raiziel
    Show networks
    Twitter
    #Raiziel
    Xbox
    Raiziel
    PSN
    NicheCode
    Wii
    Raiziel

Send message
    Raiz, what makes an FPS for you then? Would Dishonoured count?

Just a first person perspective and a moderate amount of shooting.  I understand why you were reticent to add it, but just because an FPS has adventure or RPG trappings should it really be discounted?  From the looks of Dishonoured I would venture it qualifies.
    Get schwifty.
  • Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

I thought that was 3rd person?

Portal should be included because its in first person and you shoot a portal gun at walls and stuff.
  • Brink, this gen's biggest missed opportunity. Art style, character customisation, half decent maps, solid gunplay, parkour, let down by the lousiest netcode and shoddiest optimisation ever seen.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not a fan by any stretch of the imagination - though I have an certain admiration of them if that makes any sense - somewhat dampened because I believe the genre has sucked too much talent away from the development of something original

I may not even had played 10 - however whenever would lack of experience prevent someone from having an ill-informed opinion? 

No doubt you will find these quaint.....based on pure memory of enjoyment and playtime clocked up....

Doom 2 (pc) - completed on ultra-violence
    Quake 2 (pc) - office lan
    Duke Nukem (pc)
    Doom 64 (n64)
    Quake 3 Arena (dc) 
    Outtrigger (dc)
    Call of Duty Black Ops / world at war (wii) (I doubt I could tell the difference between these)
    Conduit1&2 (wii) (awaits howls of derision)

The last few have only had single digit hours clocked up - enjoyed them but can't be arsed returning to them after getting bogged down or being totally demoralised online. The twin stick setup really puts me off - much prefer keyboard&mouse or the wii's alternative which might become better on the WiiU..
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.

I thought that was 3rd person?

Portal should be included because its in first person and you shoot a portal gun at walls and stuff.

I was going to pick up on this, but AW2 did have a non visible gun FP option, although it was most definitely a third person game. Not sure if OG AW had this camera switch.
  • 1. Halo 3
    2. COD: MW
    3. Left 4 Dead
    4. Portal
    5. Shadowrun
    6. Planetside
    7. MAG
    8. Bioshock
    9. Rainbow Six Vegas
    10. Bad Company 2
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Ghost Recon: Advanced Warfighter.
    I thought that was 3rd person? Portal should be included because its in first person and you shoot a portal gun at walls and stuff.
    Good point, I started off thinking of the PS2/Xbox one and thought of the best in the series. I'll strike it off and add in MAG.
  • Only the Top 3 are in order. 

1. COD4
    2. Fallout 3
    3. Bioshock
    4. Metro 2033. 
    5. Singularity
    6. Portal 2 
    7. Deus Ex
    8. Borderlands
    9. Left 4 Dead
    10. Half Life 2
‹ Previous123456712

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!