Music Subscription services and their various merits
  • Olimite wrote:
    £9.99 a month is bloody excellent value.
    Yeah seriously. I'd pay at least twice as much.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • £9.99 a month isn't bloody excellent value when it used to be free and there are competitors offering the same service for less than half that. Spotify's been on the slide for a while now, it still offers an excellent service and I do love the UI, but I'm all about the GS now - user uploads available, no adverts even on free, haven't not-found any music I want yet, and cheap cheap.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Yep, the artists are really benefitting from your £3 a month.
  • Who mentioned anything about artists benefiting? I'm concerned with my finances, not the artists.
  • Yeah, I think the thing is that for the service they're providing €10 a month really is bloody cheap. That others are still offering the same kind of thing for free ignores that hopefully this model can become one which can actually help musicians make a living. It's not there yet, largely because to entwine people it has gone the free and/or cheap route. If it's a bit more expensive and it gets closer to becoming the genuine solution to piracy/traditional methods then I'll gladly pay the difference. Because there is still an insanely large collection of music for that money.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Who mentioned anything about artists benefiting? I'm concerned with my finances, not the artists.
    That is a bit of a problem.
  • Artists were getting fuck all with CDs anyway. Not much has changed.
  • Even if that were true, now that the record companies are nearly out of the question, shouldn't the people who benefit most from the music see their way to supporting the people who make it?
  • How are the record companies out of the equation? Who owns the music? It's not the artists, the odd exception like Ani DF apart.
  • Hey I gots to eat!

On a more serious note, do you not see how cutishly Spotify have decided on their payment levels? The only thing on the top tier that I (and anyone?) wants is the mobile use. It seems to me like they've left that out of the £5 tier so people are inclined to go for the £10, I don't see another reason. Hell, I paid for the £10 tier just for mobile use so I'm sure plenty of others have.

*shrug* I dunno, it just seems like they're slowly turning the screws on people for money and, considering I had a completely free account way back when, it kinda leaves a sour taste (this makes me a terrible person who is single handedly ruining music). I'd love to pay £5 and get it on my mobile, and would do that over GS, but I'm not paying twice the standard payment for 1 feature chopped.
  • WorKid wrote:
    Artists were getting fuck all with CDs anyway. Not much has changed.

That can't be true, selling a million copies of an album would net the artist a very nice sum of cash, especially in America. Having one million people listen to it on Spotify won't get them any where near as much.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • £10 is not a lot of money though, it's about the cost of a round at the pub between 3/4 friends.

I only work part time, and I have roughly the same outgoings as I did before dropping nearly 50% of my hours, and even I can fit in £10 for something as insanely good value as Spotify.

I never get the "oh it used to be free I am annoyed it isn't now" because business get bigger, and cost more. They can't do it for free forever. I am entitled to nothing from anybody.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    Who mentioned anything about artists benefiting? I'm concerned with my finances, not the artists.

Sigh.
  • I never get the "oh it used to be free I am annoyed it isn't now" because business get bigger, and cost more. They can't do it for free forever. I am entitled to nothing from anybody.
  • £10 isn't a lot of money, you're right (certainly won't buy a round between 4 people here though). I still don't get the willingness to pay more (over twice as much) for almost the exact same service (or even a reduced service, if we're talking the mid-tier account). I'm not going to go to a garage / cinema / shop whatever that costs twice as much simply because I like the layout. Well, ok sometimes I would, maybe, but not in this case.

I can agree on the 'it used to be free' thing, that is a bit of a stamping-of-feet annoyance and shouldn't really count. Scrub that from my list of arguments and just use the other earth-shattering pieces of wisdom I wrote instead.
  • Olimite wrote:
    nick_md wrote:
    Sigh.

Ok that was rather flippant: I AM concerned with the financial well being of artists, of course, just not enough to pay the extra, especially when I'm trying to save money at the moment (£7 may not seem like a lot but it makes a difference when added up with other things).

Hey it's not like I torrent any more.
  • I guess I could give Grooveshark a go to see what the difference is, but I've no need to move. 

An issue immediately I have with GS is that if I search for 'Godspeed you' I get 128 albums. They haven't done 128 albums, sifting through that level of duplication is an irritant.

Also I can't see from the site, but can you download music to your phone via wifi and then listen anywhere? It just seems to suggest it's streaming on the site?
  • You can offline / download songs / playlists onto your phone, if that's what you mean? Searching can be, messy shall we say, but I find if you include artist+album you tend to get your hits. It's part of the problem of user uploads I guess - it has a lot of duplication. GS has terrible UI, be warned, but functionally I find it just the same as Spotify. If you're just using the desktop version at work you'll only ever need the free version as well.
  • I did some reading and came to that conclusion, but that took a while, they really like to hide the fact that they let you sync stuff offline. Hmm.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Grooveshark does have Rainbow Children by Prince so it gets points for that, but, like Tempy, it just seems a bit messy for me.

As for finances, I feel bad enough only paying £9.99 a month for the service - I can only buy a handful of CD's a year now.
  • How do you like Rainbow Children so far?
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    I've finished it. Some filler, some very decent songs.

This is the Spotify upgrade I was talking about earlier.

http://thenextweb.com/apps/2012/12/06/spotify-launches-discover-follow-and-collections-tabs/
  • To be fair, there are two seperate entries on Spotify for GY!BE, each with their own set of albums.
  • Yep, not quite 128 though
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    1ACMt
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    Strangely, I found it easily.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I think I ran the search again, and it did it again, but then third time it found it fine.

I dunno, there's something about the way the results are presented and browsing in general I'm not that keen on. I'm sure it becomes second nature quick enough.
  • Olimite
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Olimite
    Xbox
    Olimite
    PSN
    Olimite Too
    Steam
    ceequeue

Send message
    It really does. The only problem I have is when I put together the B&B playlists :D
  • If I didn't have Deezer free I'd probably head for spotify. Although isn't it forcibly connected with Farcebook? I hate that.
  • I've been happily paying $13 for Rdio. Once I get my head around Spotty, I'll happily pay $12. Had a brief look at GS, but I think this is a sitcho where peer usage and more importantly catalogue win out.

Being able to chuck in other stuff from itunes and hdd sounds awesome too. Happy to be able to still occasionally buy a cd or whatever. Some stuff is obscure, after all.

On the paying the artists front, I reckon it's shakey ground, from what I've heard. However the royalties are set up, it's certainly enough to keep all but the biggest artists in day jobs, and the biggest artists will be touring and charging (out here at least) minimum $150 a ticket for gigs, or more likely (Hello Bruce) minimum $300 depending who they are.

I really wish Rdio was ticking a few more boxes, tbh. Because I really like it and I was on to it prior to spotty reaching our shores. (And it has it's own internal friends list thing, and you can follow other suggested peeps, which was a bit more manageable and didn't require app wankery.) I also fear for it's future. I recall reading an article about it's business model, and it seems to require near constant expansion and the margins are just utterly fucked, and it doesn't have the sort of backing spotty has, so yeah....

Anyhoo, time for some more playing around with spotty.

@mod: My next phone purchase is going to be interesting. It's not gonna happen for a while, but it'll depend a lot on which route I take with my next laptop/tablet/PC replacement. If I go Win8 all the way, then a windows phone may be on the cards, and then xbox music may get a look in.
    I'm still great and you still love it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!