Music Subscription services and their various merits
  • Ok I just did the £5 5-months thing.

I don’t know how to find “master” level music, but The National - Sorrow, even at “HiFi” quality... HOLY SHIT.

x
  • So can anyone tell me why “HiFi” quality through Tidal sounds better than my CD collection ripped to 16-bit FLAC?

x
  • Annoyingly, once you start selecting stuff and getting algorithms going, the master section appears to go.

But early doors, scroll right down on the home page. And/or explore page and there should be a list. Failing that, make sure your defaults are set to master then when looking up albums/artists, look for the light grey m symbol.

If you see multiple versions of same album, it's likely there's a master version.

Best bets when randomly searching are super new albums or classics.

It's a bit of a faff.

Likewise queuing albums. Make sure you select "play next" as opposed to just hitting play icon if you want to queue up multiple albums in order.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Also, keep it in the memory banks, if you still want to continue in may, we can share a family account for cheap. Moot is probably keen too.

• This is super Face thank you. What's the best free playlist transfer app people are using
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • There's a transfer option on one of the tidal website pages.

https://tidal.com/

(oh, bottom of main desktop site.)
  • So can anyone tell me why “HiFi” quality through Tidal sounds better than my CD collection ripped to 16-bit FLAC"

x

That one's a mystery to me. I would've thought HIFI quality was the same as lossless CD rips. Perhaps you ripped a different album release (og rather than remaster maybe)? Or sometimes individual tracks on Best Of Collections sound way worse than those on proper albums (Hello Fleetwood Mac). If not....electrickery? Maybe the EQ presets on Tidal are particularly tailored for your speakers/headphones/ears.

• Not all remasters are created equal.

And some albums, like those classics from 70s, may have had a new remaster for every new format.

When cds first dropped, they were terrible for quality a lot of the time. Then album anniversaries come along.

Some albums have specific issues. (miles Davis kind of blue was recorded too fast initially, so every CD version of album was a touch sharp until the reissue vinyl for 50th anniversary.)

Queen albums are a minefield. They've done remasters multiple times for individual album anniversaries and fro reissues of their whole collection. (you'll note 3 versions of their albums on tidal. 2012 remasters, regular, and others (that's not even necessarily including the different tidal versions.)

I can only speak on Queen stuff with some authority as I'm a big fan, and my best mate is a bigger fan and has actually tracked down all the different remasters.

There's different regional remasters and as far as cds goes with some queen stuff, you're looking for original cds from specific countries.

For example, there's original pressing (like vinyl) German remasters for some albums that are Waaaay better than the 2012 or 97 remasters. (I think 97 was the other big remaster year for Queen albums), others it's the 86 Japanese CD remaster that's the gold.

And as per moots thread about good sounding albums, it's largely down to bricking and dynamic range in the later remasters. See the pics of MJ's black and white.

As mentioned previously, the Queen albums haven't survived even the tidal master treatment. As my Mate says there hasn't been a remaster of news of the world that's got it right yet.

Yet albums either side of it have been done well.

I guess there's an element of subjectivity, but also a need for legit care and proper work to get remasters right.

Still, so far, it's that queen album that's been the onyl real disappointment for me on tidal.
  • Low key highlight is how tidal actually has a classical section.

It appears to have actually been curated by someone who gave a shit too. It's a small thing, but it makes a difference.

Especially in a genre where there can be dozens of versions of the same piece of music.
  • So how are folks finding tidal after a week or so?

I'm 100% sold on sound quality.

Have sussed how to get albums to queue. (play next for first one, then add to queue.)

Weaknesses:

- no straight up all new releases section.

- no master quality only section.
  • Oh, have to give special mention to old school jazz master versions.

https://tidal.com/album/1910280

This bill Evans live is incredible. It's in some small club, and you can hear everything.

Conversation in the crowd, the drummer switching snares.

It's a thing I've noticed even on some Hifi stuff that what you're picking up is the subtlety of even single held notes.

There's a lot of texture in solo horn playing, and it's more noticeable.

Some of it is bothering to spend more time actively listening with headphones, but even stuff like tobe nwigwe, which I have hammered all year, I can hear more nuance.

The drummer hits freakin hard on Live from the swat, and on Google play the sustain on cymbals is just a wall of sound.

On Hifi, it sounds much more like a cymbal, with slight changes in texture as it vibrates out.

Run the jewels 2 was also awesome on Hifi.

El-p is sneaky brilliant with background percussion. And there's much better seperation and clarity.

There's a master version of some of Aesop's stuff, will be on to it later.
  • I'm absolutely loving it and can definitely hear the clarity difference through my speaker so guessing through headphones it would be even more obvious.

It's not as user friendly as Spotify that's for sure and the front end is a bit messy but hoping the more I use the more personalised it might become.

I'll probably end up sticking with it after this initial 5 month trial although the Tidal family version with lossless is double the cost of Spotify Premium so it may depend on whether my wife notices the hike!
  • Well, moot is in too, I'm pretty sure, so if you're the only one who needs a login, we're at 3 people.

Family split 3 ways will be less than spotty.

I'm happy to pay and then set up a PayPal.

I already do it with Netflix and Stan and google play with other mates.
  • Only slight annoyance so far is the lack of PS4 app. Some of the chosen by artist playlists on there are fun. Also listened to The Game and Miranda Lambert's latest on it last week.
  • I googled same re Xbox and it looked like there was a usb workaround, but I didn't trust source at all.
  • Facewon wrote:
    Well, moot is in too, I'm pretty sure, so if you're the only one who needs a login, we're at 3 people.

Family split 3 ways will be less than spotty.

I'm happy to pay and then set up a PayPal.

I already do it with Netflix and Stan and google play with other mates.

Well that is a lovely gesture and I would more than happily chip in Face if no one else takes you up on it.

• https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FURPQI3VW58
    Interesting. 

Takeaways, skip through to the phase testing.

Apple music sucks hard, spotty lo and high has next to no difference.

A/B testing for audio while watching a youtube clip isn't really gonna let you test.
  • Big win on tidal yesterday. Felt like cranking everything everything's Arc.

Always found it a touch harsh to listen to.

Its quantised to fuck and very precise, and lead vocals are pretty up in mix, and also very precise.

Wave files on Google play must have looked like a latice fence.

Tidal version let's it breath. Still precise, and there's a bunch of stuff I'd not noticed, but it doesn't, frankly, give me a headache.

Win.
  • Eric wrote:

It's not as user friendly as Spotify that's for sure and the front end is a bit messy but hoping the more I use the more personalised it might become.

Agree re this, wasn't easy to find stuff so much at the start. Having grown the faves etc, my recs are much better. It's funny though, I'm still having to hit google play on Fridays to check their all new releases bit, because I don't want to miss on random stuff.

Also, is anyone having trouble with downloaded stuff? Semi frequently some songs won't play all the way through. And there's albums that are downloaded but won't play if I switch to downloaded only.

• Hmm, looks like second mystery solved. It had paused downloading. Message wasn't obvious first time I looked.
  • I haven't bothered downloading anything yet but it made me a cracking country playlist the other day. Was pretty much all gold for whole time I had it on. Deeper cuts too.
  • Well, tidal support on twitter is quick to respond.

Of course their answer was to uninstall.

Handy thing though, it has good options for clearing or re-adding downloads.

Decided it was time for a clean out anyway.

Seems to have worked.
  • Ok, so glitch happened again, but I have it sussed. Annoying, but basically, don't queue up multiple albums to DL. Just do one at a time. And probably don't do other DL etc in other apps. Appears to cut the DL off and skip to next track.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    So anyway, Tidal. I did a little bit of side by side comparison with Spotify and yeah, there's a difference. But it's not night and day by any means. It's most apparent in percussion and drums, particularly high frequency stuff like hats and crashes. And I'd say the sound has more depth and clarity overall, but frankly I often had to strain to hear a difference. 

A few black marks against Tidal - firstly the interface is a bit balls. I don't like how they seem to jumble up downloaded and non downloaded stuff together. I see the downloaded stuff has it's own tab but really I prefer the way Spotify does it. Secondly, in spite of many albums and playlists, my home screen is still full of recommendations for hiphop, Beyonce, Billy Eilish, The Weekend and just all shit that I would never listen to in a million years. Spotify wouldn't dare show me any of that. 

And finally, probably the final straw against Tidal - it won't play nice with the audio settings on my Sony, so not even the equalizer has any effect on the sound in Tidal. From what I've read this is true for most Android phones and iPhone too. You're stuck with the sound it decides to give you so no bass or treble boosting or any kind of equalizing is possible. Which is frankly shit. I can't see myself ponying up extra money to lose features.
  • bad_hair_day
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @_badhairday_
    Xbox
    Bad Hair Day
    PSN
    Bad-Hair-Day
    Steam
    badhairday247

Send message
    Agree with nearly everything you said Kow, tried most of them and Spotify is the nuts. Can stream in the background on the Bone App whilst playing Forza which clinches it.

BTW, Welcome back!
    retroking1981: Fuck this place I'm off to the pub.
  • For the record, my Galaxy S10e and Sony NW-A105 both adjust sounds for Tidal.

Agreed on the offline mode though.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ah, good to know. Seems to not work for a lot of models. I'm shocked that a high end Sony, which is great for sound, wouldn't let Tidal have any access to sound settings. But it seems to be on Tidal's side rather than the phone.
  • Defo agree on some of that. Re home screen, I basically ignore it.

Its actually better to look on the explore tab. That's where all the personalisation comes.

(and also, the genre sections are also much better than the home page.)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    A couple of other points. This Master level quality is a bit misleading I think. From what I read you'd need mqa codec enabled equipment to make use of it and not a lot of equipment has that so you're not really going to get a massive jump in quality from using it. Plus, in the end it's also just a lossy compression code, albeit one that intents to reach higher sound fidelity. Implying that it's the quality of the master recordings is just wrong.

Also, I'm not sure if the hifi/master levels are entirely accurate anyway. I've never seen any track listed as standard quality by default. But I know for a fact that there are tracks on there that are 320 mp3s and they are being labelled as hifi cd quality lossless flac files. I don't know how widespread that is, though.
  • The mqa stuff is dodge as much because of that format as much as anything.

Think I posted some stuff in here while you were away. I've found master quality stuff to be awesome, but I'm not a/b testing it. (basically, I suspect a lot of it is awesome because especially the older albums getting the master treatment were classics and had pretty awesome production to begin with.)

(I've unofficially a/b tested because every so often stuff has been on my phone as Hifi instead of master and I haven't noticed.)

Its the broad strokes that matter for me. It broadly sounds better on quite good equipment. That's worth it.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!