Ranting and Raving. Naming and Shaming
  • A thread to disclose you customer service disasters inspired by my recent battle.

As people who follow me on Twitter may have ignored of late. I have been having a running battle with BT.
    Our relationship started off well.
    They provided us with the only real service we could get at our previous address, they addressed my concerns dutifully, 3 years of a good service. Then I moved house.

1) I should have seen the signs from minute 1. The 'Moving House' web system didn't work. Whenever I submitted my new address the system would throw me back to that same screen to enter my new address with no explanation as to why. So, I had to ring them. Rang them up, couldn't book me in for the day of the move, had to be 5 days later. No biggy, 5 days is nothing.

2) Got a text 5 days before the move saying the service was cancelled. No explanation as to why. So, I ring them up. Yep, it's cancelled. Something about them not being able to submit a takeover for the line (despite the move not happening til five days later). After a rant at some girl who had about as much clout as a j-cloth I was put through to a guy who promised he would ring mean the day of the move and get my original appointment slot back.

3) Day of the move, no phone call. So, I ring them. Can't have my original slot back, has to be booked in for the 21st of Jan as the 16th was the earliest they had, and either me or the wife having to book a day off was not on at all. Was told a manager would call me within 2 hours. This was at 12:30pm.
    No call until 5:30pm. Person apologises. Says they'll endeavour to get us an earlier slot, but will get our phone line up and running on a temporary number. This was a Thursday...

4) Nothing from BT over the weekend. So I ring them on the Monday after. Am told that the whole appointment has been cancelled AGAIN. Only thing booked is a phone line alteration from the temp number to the new number...So, the guy says, what he has to do is cancel everything and rebook. Like an idiot (by now I should have known better) I trust him as he says he has an appointment books for the 15th (hey, it's a week earlier than the 21st). I look at the web page later on and see that there's a broadband appointment booked. But nothing to sort out the phone line or the tv service. I decide to ring them again on the next day.

5) Am told that they need to ring me the day after the appointment to sort out the tv service and the phone line. But that I will not be charged for the service I am not using until it is ready to go.

6) Receive a bill before the broadband is installed charging me for a whole month of broadband in advance. So, fed up of calling them, I e-mail them. 2 days later I receive a call saying I shall receive a follow up in 48 hours. 4 days later (not including weekends) we recieve a bill charging us for our hone line, not including the 1571 service we should have, not only that, but it's on a different account number. I use their chat application.

7) Turns out, I now have 2 account numbers due to the idiot who cancelled everything in step 5. One for the phone line (still not on the right number and without the 1571) and one for the broadband and tv service. I am due a phone call the next day to sort out a re-credit for the other bill, and to discuss the changing over of the phone line, as well as the deactivation of the TV service.

Put simply, I am not amused with the whole debacle and would not recommend them to anyone.
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Once my letting agent debacle is over I shall post the whole shebang on here
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Told you not to bother cleaning.
  • Devil's Advocate:  Sounds like you had 2 screw ups (the original cancellation and the bodged re-book that generated the second account), but they'll probably still have it all fixed before their guess of the 21st.  And considering by your own admission they delivered perfectly good customer service for 3 years, is one badly-handled event (that will still be fixed probably within the original timeline) really a reason to not recommend them?
  • We have broadband in the house now. Although no wired connection to the BT box, which means we have to have someone come in to fix one up so we can use the on demand and catch up services, not to mention improve the slow speeds I'm getting on myPS3 through wifi.

There's a couple of issues here. One is they cancelled the original appointment without consulting me at all, the second is the bodged rebook.
    Moving your service to a new location should be pain and hassle free. BT have got it wrong every step of the way. They haven't even admitted culpability. At one point they were going to charge me £130 to have a new phone line put in.
    I've moved house before with Virgin, and they were fast and efficient, their services are great as well. I'm gutted they've not cabled this area yet.
  • I bet next time they'll be good, though.  

I've moved home with BT and Sky 4 times from 2006-2011, and only ever had one problem (with Sky, and they refunded instantly).  BT even managed to handle me having an account with multiple lines on it at different addresses when I was working away from home for 9 months, and closed the right bits down afterwards with no issues whatsoever.
  • BT...I got burned with them years ago over their old dial up Internet scam they ran, 'Use the web as much as you like' they said. But when you did they kept changing the number you used to dial up to lines with no effing service on them. After sitting for 2 hours pressing connect one evening I rang them up to complain, the excuse they gave me was that it was half term so maybe there was a lot of youths online...I pointed out that it was 8pm at night, youths are not in school at 8pm half term or not.
    I left them and 2 months later Watchdog ran an exposé on their dodgy Internet policy, that was deliberately not giving people what they were paying for. 

The other was when I wanted them to install a new line in my brand new flat 5 years back. I knew the cables where already installed by the developer but yes they still charged me £80 to flick a switch. But you expect that type of thing. But that wasn't my complaint, my issue was taking a day off work  to wait for the engineer who never turned up. I spent most of the day ringing their automated installation line that kept telling me a engineer was due to arrive at 11am. Despite the time being 3pm now. When I got through to a person I was told, like you, that the installation was cancelled and a new date was a week later was given.
    Sitting in work the next day my mobile rings and some strange man tells me he is the BT engineer and he is at my flat now. Good for you mate, you where meant to be there yesterday. 
    I asked him to go and do another job and come back later, luckily I could get the rest of the day off work as I was the boss so I ran home.

I avoid them as much as I can, I only ever use them when I absolutely have no other choice.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Here's my ongoing WiiU saga with Zavvi. Emailed this yesterday. Been 2 weeks since I notified them that the WiiU was faulty and its (supposedly) being picked up tomorrow. I've called a few times as well and that was like speaking to a teenager's cum-sock. Let's face it, I'm unlikely to ever get a response but it was cathartic. 

Dear Sir/Madam

I'm contacting you to inform you how deeply unsatisfied I am with the 'customer service' I have received from your Ebay Outlet department. 
    I purchased a WiiU console on the 28th December for my son. Ebay Item #Blah Blah Blah. Buyer's Name: BlahBlah Black Sheep
    It came in good time and I must admit I was impressed with the delivery speed; I put words to this effect on my Ebay feedback. 

On the 3rd January, the WiiU stopped working. 

I informed Zavvi on the 4th that it was no longer working through ebay. 

I had no response so sent an email to customer services and a message via Facebook on Saturday 5th. 
    Again no response so then in the evening of 5th Jan I posted a message on your Facebook page criticising customer services and highlighting the fact that no-one had responded to me. Lo and behold, 6 minutes later I received a message on Facebook apologising for the delay and response and asking for my order details. I subsequently sent these. 

On the 6th January, I received a message through Facebook saying that the Ebay team had been notified and that they had notified 'Russell' that they would sort the situation out. 
    Later on, via my Gmail account, 'Grace' said that she would organise a collection via DPD to pick up the faulty WiiU. She said that collections would be from Mon-Fri and asked when was suitable. I replied  that Mon 7th would be good and that I'd arrange for my wife to be in. I also confirmed that I would like to have a replacement. I also asked for confirmation of receipt of my email. Surprisingly, I failed to receive this. 

The WiiU was not collected on Mon 7th. I messaged via Facebook, emailed via Gmail and through ebay and I heard nothing. 

The WiiU was not collected on Tues 8th. I again messaged via Facebook, emailed via Gmail and through ebay and I heard nothing. 

I've just got back in and found that the WiiU still has not been collected. I've had absolutely no contact from Zavvi since Sunday morning about this item. 

If I have a problem with an Amazon purchase, they send me out a replacement before they even receive the item back. If I have a customer service problem at Amazon or Play or Shopto they treat me like they want me to continue shopping with them again by actually responding to my emails. Countless online companies that I've shopped with would just ask me to print out a postage label and allow me to send the goods back to them. I'm appalled that it will be at least a week since the WiiU broke before it will be picked up to be replaced. 

I would appreciate it if someone with a semblance of customer service training could do me the mild courtesy of treating me like I'm a customer. 

Best Regards
  • Paypal dispute it?
    equinox_code "I need girls cornered and on their own"
  • three1ne wrote:
    Paypal dispute it?

Seems the best course of action
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Mod74 wrote:

Cleaning is the least of the issues. Try factual inaccuracies that I have kept documentation / archived emails for.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    Cleaning is the least of the issues. Try factual inaccuracies that I have kept documentation / archived emails for.

popcorn.gif

What happen?
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Don't stand for it, Tumble!

Also, when I finally, finally get my special pad back, we should play Uncharted 3's Graveyard.
  • Escape wrote:
    Also, when I finally, finally get my special pad back, we should play Uncharted 3

Should have just stopped there. With all the patches and stuff it's had it must be closer to U2's mp now surely?
    Guessing that the people playing it will be tough as nails though.
  • Grace and Russell are having sex in a park somewhere.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • I've had worse experiences than this, but the only one i can remember at present was when i was trying to get through to BT over a broadband problem. Was literally kept on hold for around 70 minutes. I never want to hear Vivaldi again. Anyway, when they eventually did answer the phone, i commented in a somewhat jovial tone, and certainly not remotely hostile- "fucking hell, takes a while to get through today". 

"i dont tolerate swearing" *hangs up phone

I fucking exploded with rage. Seem to recall smashing the phone against the wall.
  • After about two hours going through scripts and being on hold I had the second level guy from Talk Talk put me on hold while went and checked something and the call timed out.

Also, anyone off shoring their call centre aren't really that committed to good customer service.
  • I love it when some guy with a strong indian accent answers the phone and introduces himself as 'dave'. Who you fooling?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Could be Davinda.

I hate it when they go all 'how are you today sir?'. Like you give a shit.
  • Agreed Mod, however, that should be taken up with the company rather than the individual  It will be part of their call script (as will the 'Have a great day!') and they will probably be pretty stringently Quality Assured on their adherence to it.
  • I remember cocko helping me out with my shift key problems once over the phone. FWIW, he sounded nothing like i'd expected.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Agreed Mod, however, that should be taken up with the company rather than the individual  It will be part of their call script (as will the 'Have a great day!') and they will probably be pretty stringently Quality Assured on their adherence to it.

Oh I know they're only doing it because they have to. They probably hate it as much as I do.

ftr, I'm (almost always) always super polite to call centre people, even when they're trying my patience. I've done that job, it's not easy.

Although I did have a man from Google on the phone to me the other day, he had a really, really thick Yorkshire accent. 'Google' is a pretty funny word pronounced in a thick Yorks accent, it was all I could do not to laugh out loud.
  • I am always polite to call centre folk to the point I can never really bring myself to complain.
  • Bouncers and call-centre workers should all swap jobs. That would make things interesting.
  • My debacle continues.
    Got a call from BT today saying my old phone number is back. I tried ringing it when I got lost on my way home. Nope, still the temp number they gave me.
    And, instead of dealing with all my issues in one phone call, I will have a separate phone call tomorrow to discuss my bill issues and the fact I now have 2 accounts.
  • No phone call today. So, looks like I'll be making an irate phone call and asking about their complaints procedure tomorrow.
  • Zavvi finally collected my Dead WiiU yesterday. Emailed them yesterday to ask when the replacement would be getting here. Still no reply, despite their BS that they are now taking my customer service issues seriously. Complaint to the Hut group has had no response. Feckin eejits.
  • Zavvi are by far the worst company I have dealt with. I had an item not arrive from them and their procedure was to fill in a form which they neglected to send to me despite saying it was attached to the email. I had to wait a month for some idiot to actually send it to me properly.
  • Fucking useless Fucking first bus have cancelled all their buses. The ones that go on main roads. All of them.

Worst company I have ever dealt with.
  • Mod74 wrote:
    They probably hate it as much as I do. ftr, I'm (almost always) always super polite to call centre people, even when they're trying my patience. I've done that job, it's not easy.
    I'm the same, though I've never worked in a call centre. 

I do make a point of being extremely nice and gracious to the ones who (at least manage to sound like they) give a shit.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!