What can staff do to make a visit to GAME better for you?
‹ Previous12345678
  • So yeah. GAME is much maligned by the internet, at times fairly with stuff like pricing, but at others unfairly. Keeping in mind that staff aren't going to suddenly sell new releases early or knock a tenner off them, what can be done to make a visit to GAME for you better, or even more likely? Doesn't have to be day to to day, events are sound pitches, but in that case, what would you like to see?

This is prompted in part by the collapse of HMV and Blockbuster, but also EA inviting stores to bid to be the one that hosts the Dead Space and Crysis launches. One of our guys came up with an astonishingly good idea that we reckon stands a good chance. I feel that we need to make more of new game launches, a select few aside, games just kind of end up on the shelves with little fanfare, so it's no wonder people are happy to go to Shop To and the like - there is no reason to come in.

It's not just about new releases though, people still pick up stuff months, even years after launch. So what can I do to give you a reason to leave your house, and make a trip into town?

Some stores have been doing lock ins to let people play games pre-release. I like the idea of competitions, but these are always limited by what we can give as a prize. It's usually coming out of our pockets. How important is social media engagement to you? Is a good twitter feed and Facebook page something that would make you more likely to wander in? What about if something like Inside Xbox was to happen?

Sound good, shit, or somewhere in between?
  • Give away free Famicom games.
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • I would come into game if they scaled back their promotion of second hand preowned games and supported the industry better. Its a small thing. But it pushes me to go to tescos and asda where they seem to discount all the time. Game are so expensive now and I used to love the place.
    Start stocking official controllers and the likes.
    The whole place just reeks of we're a business and dont really give a fuck about the industry. It should be embracing it instead. The staff are excellent, really passionate. Its the guys further up the tree that have pushed me away.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Get Hoegaarden on tap at the counter.
  • All staff must wear a Master Chief or Cortana costume, it's their choice which.
  • ahem but seriously, mini tournaments to celebrate launches would be awesome.
  • This might sound cheesy and you cant put it on a budget request but 'community'?

Staff who know what theyre talking about and are happy t talk to you about games without trying to sell anything, being confident enough to have a conversation with several people even maybe. Have people actually playing games in there, staff or non staff, and talk about what's being played encuraged. Make more of new launches is a great idea, especially with the above, have a couple of people set aside who have read up on all they can about the release and give people a lot of useful information about the game.

What you cant do on amazon is talk to people around you about the game you just bought and while that sort of thing doesnt hapen instantly, fostering that could be what sets actually going somewhere apart and its the one the the internet cant give a shopper,that personally delivered human element
  • I think companies chasing social media tends to do more harm than good tbh, noone wants more adverts on their Facebook wall.

Bigger launches are important, the fact that most places didn't do a midnight launch for WiiU was pretty bad. There needs to be an emotional link between the store and the customer, that comes from things like sharing the experience of getting a new console/game at midnight.

Tidy, clean stores help too, staff washing (an actual problem in some media outlets) and modernised displays. Like we were saying before, CRTs are a joke for a company whose customer base are some of the most tech savvy out there.

Stop taking the piss with pre-owned. Give the person trading in less money if need be because having a pre-owned game only a pound cheaper than new gives off a really bad message.

Playing games pre-release would be good. I remember a small indie store near me back in the day had a Japanese Dreamcast at Launch (Japanese launch obv), people used to cram in that store just to have a look at it running.
  • GAME staff in Perth are fine every time I go in. I don't really buy anything in there though, it tends to just be a quick browse before deciding I don't want/need anything on the odd occasion I actually go into town.

Tekken Tag and Farcry 3 for twenty quid each were my first GAME purchases since... erm... the Dark Souls guide maybe. Manager served me and wasn't the friendliest but it was Christmas and it was rammed so understandable. He's been manager there for years and is a pretty nice guy.
  • It's like the Apple store right, you go there to play with everything they sell.  People just like going in there to play with stuff.

Screw social media, you can use it to advertise stuff but otherwise it's not getting people in shops.
  • Oh actually read the OP. Nah, none of that would interest me.

Maybe if I was 15 again I'd flipping jump at the pre release lock in but now the idea of playing it in a shop with a bunch of other people doesn't sound very enticing.

social media interaction doesn't bother me either. it's just a company.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    The whole place just reeks of we're a business and dont really give a fuck about the industry. It should be embracing it instead. The staff are excellent, really passionate. Its the guys further up the tree that have pushed me away.

Spot on. Most of my biggest gaming mates came from my time spent working for Game but the company itself seems not altogether fussed about the industry. You get the impression they'd be happy to switch banners, uniforms and advertising to a home furnishing retailer overnight if they stood to gain a profit from it.

Competitions i'd love to see but the company wouldn't even back those ideas or give any funding for em when they were in calm waters. I'd love to see demopods which we could unlock (staff in the stores I worked didn't have a key for the units so we couldn't change the games) and try and demonstrate different titles on a day to day basis, indy games days maybe.

It'd blow my mind if I walked into a Game and saw someone giving a demo of Anarchy Reigns.
  • A demo would be cool an all but I'd still give it the old "Yeah looks good but I'll have to think about it" before going home and buying it for a fiver cheaper off the net.

In the end it all comes down to price and they can't compete.
  • All staff must wear a Master Chief or Cortana costume, it's their choice which.

This actually would work. To encourage people into store you need to create theatre, especially when you cannot always compete on price. A Halo launch for example, hire a big guy to suit up, a couple more as Elites, maybe some midget Grunts... anyhoo, creates photo ops, adds an incentive to spend £40 the onliners cannot match.

Most department stores ramp up for Christmas because they do their best business at this time, they create Christmas shops and add theatre. Every major launch is Game's Christmas.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Frosty wrote:
    A demo would be cool an all but I'd still give it the old "Yeah looks good but I'll have to think about it" before going home and buying it for a fiver cheaper off the net. In the end it all comes down to price and they can't compete.

At least you're thinking about it as opposed to going "nah".
  • Put the games on sale a couple of days before the official launch day.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    A demo would be cool an all but I'd still give it the old "Yeah looks good but I'll have to think about it" before going home and buying it for a fiver cheaper off the net. In the end it all comes down to price and they can't compete.
    At least you're thinking about it as opposed to going "nah".

I say it's interesting but it wouldn't make a difference to my personal buying habits as I'm already pretty entrenched in games so don't really require demos. 

I don't even download game demos anymore. No need.

Could work for normal person guy/kids though.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    So what can I do to give you a reason to leave your house, and make a trip into town?

I don't live near a GAME store so it would have to be something like a StreetPass event, combining something I'm interested in with a need to come into the store.

To be honest as a gamer I wander into GAME stores and I'm overwhelmed by overpriced new releases and stuff I'm not interested in, so I have this negative initial impression and don't want to stay. It'd be neat if there was like a little bit with some older releases, could even be pre-owned, with little cards written by the staff like in Waterstones explaining why they're awesome 'n' stuff. Might draw me in a bit more.

I guess pre-owned is actually the stuff I'm more likely to buy from GAME because eBay can be as expensive as buying in-store and can be a time-consuming effort. But I generally end up being suspicious of pre-owned stock in GAME because while on eBay I have some guarantee of the quality of the item, there's no equivalent of the item listing in GAME. And everything feels a bit slung onto a load of racks. I don't really know what point I'm trying to make here really. Make pre-owned stuff more boutique-y I guess. Um.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Stop trying to force bundles on me, stop trying to ram second hand games down my throat too.  If I've decided to buy a new one, maybe I just want the new one?  I don't care if a sweaty pre-handled copy is £2 cheaper.

Pre-release lock-ins or tournaments etc sound like they're going to attract loads of 15 year olds, which means you might be relying on parents to bring them etc.  I think demo access is difficult as so many games nowadays are so big that you're not going to get the immediate feedback from something unless it's a sports game or fighting game, or something of that ilk.

Social media; absolutely.  I was very impressed that one GAME in Edinburgh replied to my tweets about 3DS XL trade-ins, so that's absolutely essential.  If they had a Facebook page where I knew my question would get answered by someone local who knew what they were talking about, then I'd use it.

The staff are the big thing though.  Right now it appears to be "can I help you find something?" followed by "would you like to pre-order/would you like this bundle/we have this pre-owned?" at the till.  No-one likes that sort of thing unless they're in their 70s buying for a young relative or something, so lesson one to your staff is that at 33, I was probably playing Spectrum games before they were born so they need to not bracket people by age!  

Get staff who know what they're talking about and make sensible, serious recommendations.  Sure, hordes of people will just flood in to buy CoD, but when I'm picking up something esoteric that's your opportunity to try and point out to me a few things I might not have considered.  The stores might need redesigned to fit that though, as it's normally an assembly line at the till, so even if the guy notices that I've bought something wacky like Tenchu Z and realises I might like the older Hitman games, he doesn't have the chance to pull me aside, show me, and talk to me about them.  I will react favourably to someone who's smart enough to talk about Alpha Protocol because of what I'm buying, but not to someone going "DO YOU WANT TO PRE-ORDER COD AND FIFA" because they're the next big releases.

The fact you have the people there in front of you is what makes you different from online.  You can make recommendations and think about what people might like by assessing them there and then, not running an algorithm on a website that says "people who bought X like Y.  BUY Y."  Sure, suggest pre-owned to me, but be open about it; I was impressed once where a guy in Gamestation said "I'd normally not recommend it, but the pre-owned version of this is on offer so you'll actually save £8 rather than £2, and if you're tempted, I'll make sure I find one where the DLC code hasn't been used?"  And off he trotted and came back with one with the code intact and unused, and even offered to fire it up on their test machine to make sure the disc worked.  

Right now it seems it's mostly full of disillusioned people pushing the shit bundles that management want, and half the employees seem unsure of what they're selling.  If you can't tell the difference between the various models of DS then you shouldn't be working there.
  • Also, competitions would work better than tournaments I think.  If I could run a chance of winning a new release with every pre-order or purchase, or even just some store credit, I'd go for that.
  • Bollockoff wrote:
    I'd love to see demopods which we could unlock (staff in the stores I worked didn't have a key for the units so we couldn't change the games) and try and demonstrate different titles on a day to day basis, indy games days maybe. It'd blow my mind if I walked into a Game and saw someone giving a demo of Anarchy Reigns.

We can unlock ours. To be honest all the stores I've worked at have been able to. One of the problems with it though is not being able to show games rated above 12, except at midnight launches/lock ins. Anarchy Reigns is indeed awesome, but we can't show it through the day.
  • Game need to stop trying to sell me extra shit, I don't want the guide or the season pass or any other stuff I didn't ask for. Aside from that change the colour scheme, one thing I've always liked about hmv was the darker colours.
  • Elmlea said what i wanted to say
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    I don't live near a GAME store so it would have to be something like a StreetPass event, combining something I'm interested in with a need to come into the store.

I'm sure I read about you going to one of these things before. What's actually involved?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    As Elm stated, the Edinburgh one are good on twitter. I'd say I've really lucked out- my Game store is exemplary - the manager always comes to talk to me when I'm in (I do spend a whack of money in there, and bought my WiiU and so on in there) , they help constantly with purchases and chat with me about stuff. So them.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Dunno if its been mentioned but my worst gripe in game is the amount of time clueless parents etc come in and get recommended games that the staff must know are utter shite.  I've butted in on more than one occasion.

Second biggest is pricing a pre-owned game more than the new price. I don't even care if its an error, I want to know the price not guess.

The third biggest semi non serious gripe is closing one of my two towns stores and not giving the rather lovely manager with erm, 'a big personality' a job in the other one. I mean seriously, I used to buy stuff in her store just because she worked there. Muppets.
  • n0face wrote:
    Game need to stop trying to sell me extra shit, I don't want the guide or the season pass or any other stuff I didn't ask for. Aside from that change the colour scheme, one thing I've always liked about hmv was the darker colours.

... or do show me the guide, but in the environment I suggested above.  Let's wander over to the seating area with the coffee machine like you get in a car dealership, and have the guy sit down and explain to me why there might be advantages to buying the guide or an accessory or whatever.  Keep some magazines there so he can show me proof, reviews, opinions.

Basically, don't ambush me at the till when there's a queue of 12 behind me.  I'll either make a snap decision to say yes then be angry with you because you sold me shit I don't need, or I'll quickly say no because of the situation and miss out on something that could have made the game's experience much better.

I was ambushed with the Skyrim guide.  I bought it, but wasn't happy that I had bought it until a fair bit later.  If the guy had the time to sit somewhere and say "here's what I like about it and why I personally recommend it;" and show me the character creation advice, then pick a non-spoiler story and show the useful bits in the walkthrough, then I'd be VERY impressed and go with it.

Also, make your bundles worthwhile.  The guide getting a 10% discount when bought with the game is pointless.  Instead, give me a useful thing like a £5 credit to my reward card, or triple the loyalty points for the purchase.  There were plenty of times I paid £5 more for something from Game online rather than Shopto et al because the double reward points made a genuine difference.
  • Dunno if its been mentioned but my worst gripe in game is the amount of time clueless parents etc come in and get recommended games that the staff must know are utter shite.  I've butted in on more than one occasion.

YES!  Don't become the Comet of the games industry, selling shit people don't need or want is a surefire way to miss the point.  If the staff don't know they're shit, fire them and get better staff.

Dante, if you're talking about events, how about parents events?  Come along, see what your kids are playing, we'll have a bunch of the latest releases for you to try so you can find some stuff appropriate for them!
  • I think the idea of informing and enthusing your customers with knowlegable enthusiastic chat might not secure a sale that day, but creates a great deal of goodwill that pays higher dividends in the long run
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    EvilRedEye wrote:
    I'm sure I read about you going to one of these things before. What's actually involved?

Um, basically people bugger about with StreetPass and play multiplayer games and there are some tournaments like Mario Kart and that. Nintendo supplied £10 eShop vouchers for the winners.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • To be honest, I don't think there is anything Game can do now that most online stores guarantee launch day delivery or earlier if you are lucky with some reliability now. 

They offer the game for less money, get it to me potentially before release day and they don't try and sell the stupidest shit to me at the till in the most unsubtle manner as I am paying.

I think Game should probably be looking at a different type of service. Maybe if you guys could do certified console repair in store or something for a reasonable fee, iunno. 

This post has been entirely unhelpful, except for making me realise I never have to go Game again becasue the internet is now more convenient for getting my games on launch day.
    "Let me tell you, when yung Rouj had his Senna and Mansell Scalextric, Frank was the goddamn Professor X of F1."
‹ Previous12345678

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!