I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • No one wants new ideas, the likes of Platinum games and other developers who push things forward are seen as high risk.
    Demon's Souls was described as 'shit' by Sony.
    Bulletstorm is probably the best FPS in a decade and it didn't even break even.
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - we would like new ideas but clearly the masses don't....but who am I kidding? I'm in my mid 40s and I know what I want and rarely I'll stray from the path. Set in my ways I guess.

All I wanted to see was a new F-Zero and a proper Pilotwings followup.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • To be fair, Pikmin 3 still has me grinning.

But after three first party conferences, that 5 minutes being far and away the highlight is a bit of a bad sign.
  • The future is indie. I'm hoping that software allowing games development to become quicker and cheaper will keep evolving and eventually indie developers won't have such a massive barrier (cost, time etc) between them and their wildest ambitions. It'll end up like the music and film industries - big institutions peddaling utter toss with a healthy and varied underground scene for those who seek it.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • Thing is though Mouldy, it's still too hard to get your indie game onto a console. Easier to make the games with stuff like Unity, certainly, but harder to actually get it out to people even in this age of digital distro.

I think this is the boom time for us Shmup/STG/bullet hell fans - even if the majority of games this gen are HD re-releases. With my DOOM hat on, Cave sound like they're about 5 minutes from rolling the shutters down and G.Rev don't fill me with much confidence. As for Treasure......well, anything would be a start.

Edit - Mushi 1CC update. Can consistently make it to stage 4 boss now (sometimes make it to stage 5). A bit more familiarity and I reckon I could actually do this. Have to admit, I thought the hand/eye co-ord wasn't up to it.
  • pabloamigo wrote:
    Thing is though Mouldy, it's still too hard to get your indie game onto a console. Easier to make the games with stuff like Unity, certainly, but harder to actually get it out to people even in this age of digital distro.

Sure, but I think we're in a bit of transitional stage at the moment. Hopefully distribution and development will continue to get easier in the future.* I feel your pain regarding Treasure, though.

*As an aside, I love the idea of a console that came bundled with Unity-style development software, where all of the games were user-generated and distributed digitally. Can't see it happening but I'd be there from day 1 if it did.
    You really are fond of chatting with me, aren't you? If I didn't know better, I'd think you had feelings for me!
  • It's 2012 and I still don't know what precisely defines a Euroshump beyond maybe the presentation and origin.
  • They're a bit shit.
  • See Sine Mora.
  • Brooks wrote:
    It's 2012 and I still don't know what precisely defines a Euroshump beyond maybe the presentation and origin.

A couple of things spring to mind. 

Popcorn enemies (i.e. your staple one hit wonders) having energy bars and taking 20 minutes to kill.
    Poor man's Xenon artstyle
    Eurotrance
    Lack of gold/gems/cubes/rings/big point numbers etc...
  • Thought it was something to do with attack patterns too, but maybe not.
  • Eurotrance fo'sho. They all seem to be modelled on that Square Enix thing with the gay German nonsense.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It usually equates to a distinct lack of enemies and crappy Amiga-demo-ey backgrounds as far as I'm aware and there's a tendency to the horizontal too.

Sturmwind looks like the first Euro-based shmup that I'm interested in - old style action and all.

Meanwhile actually playing - eff me - but isn't DoDonPachi (unadorned) supposed to be easy? Level 3 does me on one credit at any rate - which is usually the point at which shmups crank up the difficulty level. Trying it via shmupMAME and Saturn with similar mediocre results...
  • They had the cheek to make one and actually produce a sequel for PS3. Horrible. Whatever it was called.
  • I got burned buying the first one blind, so desperate was I for shooting action on PS3 at the time. Burrghh, still makes me shudder when I think about it.

@davy

You may be thinking of DonPachi.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    pabloamigo wrote:
    I got burned buying the first one blind, so desperate was I for shooting action on PS3 at the time. Burrghh, still makes me shudder when I think about it.

@davy

You may be thinking of DonPachi.

Def. DoDon - some fecker on shmups.com clearly has a sense of humour....or just likes to let everyone know how good he is. " a good starter manic shmup" my arse. But then I doubt there's easier in that subgenre?

• I suppose it could be considered a good starter in terms of scoring. Straightfoward in that respect compared to Espgaluda 2/Akai Katana.

But yeah, Stage 3 has a habit of handing you your arse.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yeah - my problem is I tend to prefer the older style where you actually have to aim, shoot and dodge as opposed to the manic stuff where you seem to hold the fire button down and weave the tiny hit box through mazes - I know there's more to it than that but I hope you get my drift - would like to get good at the newer ones though as the scoring is more interesting.

Was into Castle Shikigami 2 for a while and was making progress- must get back to that.
  • Omega 5 and Strania are your friends on XBLA, Davy.
    Those are pretty straight, but both excellent.
  • Distinct lack of choice in the 'classic' shoot 'em up genre, especially now Gradius Otomedius is for the murky trenchcoat wearing sorts. 

Enjoy a blast on the iOS version of Darius Burst but aside from that, nowt doin'!

Edit: Strania is straight, but essentially a vert Contra imo.
  • Otomedius just looks horrible. Fuck you Konami.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I want Treasure to do a "Gradius V" on Parodius - I'd buy the console. I still get playtime out of those old Parodius shmups.

Omega 5 and Strania eh? Thanks - will have a look..

• Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
  • 225m on Katana is the best I can do for now. I think I need to play something else now. Or I could stick with it and become awesome (not).

How are you guys on DDPR? I played the Jap version a fair bit, but recently picked up the PAL version for no more than a fiver! (GAME just before administrators came in.) Might start it up tonight and see where you guys are on the leaderboard.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • I find DDP on anything other than an iPod difficult for some reason.
  • I find DDPR pretty hard, but I find most shooters hard. Old age I reckon. 

Just got Espgaluda II BL delivered from SolarisJapan. Had a quick blast on arrange and really like it, a few moments of gold and numbers filling the screen hit the spot.
  • Arrange and Black Label are good, main/Arcade isn't. 

Firing up DDPR now.
  • Played some DDPR. Not hard to get to stage 4 or 5 on 1 credit. I imagine that is because there is an entire second loop for the hardcore nutters out there. It seems a lot harder to score well though. Keeping the combo going until stage end seems bloody hard.
  • @elf - only really gets stupid when you get to the lazorz in stage 5. That said, I've hardly put any time into the 360 version.

Looks like we are getting black label for Bug Princess 2 on iOS. Features bosses from Mushi 1 & 2 apparently. There's a teaser site somewhere with a broken youtube video, hence I haven't linked.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Bulletstorm is probably the best FPS in a decade and it didn't even break even.
    I never bothered with this and then a quite few months ago I saw it brand and sealed for £4'ish, I finally got around to playing this today. I love it, this is what Gears should have been, in fact this is the route CoD should take. If they're not going to make a realistic military shooter then fuck off all the pretend and go this way...

Fucking awesome.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!