ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Right thing it may be, having the balls to leave the controller alone is different matter though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    :)

Some of the modern DoDonPachis (DFK and SDOJ) offer auto bombing which I'm not entirely happy with. Feels like cheating to me even though you only get 1 bomb in your stock (SDOJ) and those bullet storms are well in excess of anything Gigawing throws at you.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Save stated my way to the TLB and have beat him for the 1CC albeit save stated.

So I know what I need to do now. Now it's a question of putting it all together.

I'll need to practice level 6 and the TLB to get consistent while still keeping levels 1-5 warm.

It's a big psychological step knowing you can beat everything in isolation though.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Couple of new additions:

ECF61B71-D6E8-47D5-9E2F-520A082C2D0A_zpswkwmr68e.jpg

Need to set the JP 360 back up.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Beat level 6 with no life loss or bomb use (maybe 1 bomb - can't remember now) tonight after many attempts!
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    YAY

Cracking work mush, even if you#ve fprgotten I bet the fast twitch fibres havent
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Wifey on 8pm flight back from Brum. So will have time to try for a full run tonight after some more L6 practice. 

Aim now is to get to TLB on 1 credit. The TLB has one really tricky section but before and after that is managable. Setting myself to have this whole thing cracked for Christmas holiday. (When MAYBE my Asteroids Deluxe cabinet will arrive!!)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Went close there.

1 credit run right up to the TLB..... only 1 life left at that point though.

One or two silly mistakes in level 5 cost me the 1CC as having another life probably would have had me staggering over the line.

Very close. Have it recorded. Will post it if I don't get the 1CC this week.

Have to pick Wifey up at the airport now........
  • Ooooh keep at it man.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Got Gunbird on Switch. It's very good.
  • I’ma gettit too
  • Davy, where does TLB sit in the 1cc stakes with the community? Is a 1cc credits on 1 coin? Presumably so, otherwise that's be mental.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. 1 coin. No continues allowed. The game requires you to beat levels 1 through 6 without continuing to even meet the TLB.

A proper 1CC is all levels + TLB on 1 coin. Then there's the no-miss category - do it with one life.

I suspect there are those who no miss no bomb it too....

Then there's playing for score but that's beyond me. My 1CC score using save states is 17 trillion - champs are scoring 200 trillion+

Then there are 3 other ships to try.....
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I love to watch that crazy ruga 2P S rank run, but there's a alevel of reality below that

Admittedly a level that Davy is taking far beyond my own personal reality, but hey well bloody done, also even if you do get the 1cc run this week, post this one anyway, I'm just intrigued. As I know for me the minute I have one wobble, then all the others follow quickly. something I fight against when playing in goal, because dwelling becomes bad very quicjkly
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I actually like watching runs in which the player isn't flawless. It's better to watch a few life losses and mistakes and still see the player reach the end.

Record scoring runs are so far ahead of what most people will ever achieve they aren't as entertaining for me; though they are good for some scoring tricks when you know the game well.
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Where does RNG play here? Are enemies always in the same position?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Same position. Most modern examples of the genre are like this - they are essentially action puzzle games. Finding a route through the level and executing it are the main challenges of the genre now. Aiming shots isn't really part of it any more - it's all about being in the right place at the right time. Gigawing is also typical of the modern game in that many of the bullet patterns are the same too. However the game will react to your movement with aimed shots which can be manipulated via tap dodging. As far as I can see the player is the only random element. I have noticed some popcorn enemy patterns vary too depending on my position or how quickly I despatch a mid level boss - the game will sometimes generate more popcorn if a kill a mid boss quickly to fill the gap between the next section.

The genre has developed in response to the fact that there are no technical limitations in the hardware and the amount of stuff being chucked around the screen means that RNG can really only have a limited role as the player would soon be over-run - akin to artificial stupidity in other genres I suppose.

The first 3 levels are really rote learning but the intensity of the last two levels are such that the slightest deviation results in very large variances - some you can get out of , some you can't without bombing. The challenge is then trying to get back onto your path which is why so many lose all their lives shortly after losing one.

For expert players, the 1CC is really only the first step. For them, playing for score is where it's at and it's where a really well crafted game will show its quality. The better games such as Cave's output feature a cat's cradle of opposing scoring rules which tempt  the player to walk a tightrope of risk v reward. It's very hard not to fall to the temptation of score chasing in the earlier levels once you know them well.

Even though Gigawing isn't a deep game score-wise, the variances are enormous. Me looking at 17 trillion, experts North of 200 trillion.

Regulars in this thread won't learn anything from this little piece I wrote a while back but visitors might.
    http://www.cubed3.com/news/26558/1/insight-a-modern-2d-shooting-game-primer.html
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Part 1 of last night's run up to the TLB

Part 2
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Feck all happening tonight. Tried practicing from level 5 and getting nowhere. Tomorrow is another day.
  • Got Gunbird on Switch. It's very good.

Does it have a rotated screen mode so you can play vertically somehow?
  • Yes it does and works superbly.
  • Great stuff, thanks!!!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Rather fond of Gunbird 2 (have the Dreamcast version of that which has a TATE mode too). Never played the original.

Haven't got any real quality Gigawing time in this week....will need to get back to it over the weekend.
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    Have to recommend M2 Shottriggers Battle Garegga (Bone and PS4).

Its a classic shmup obviously but they really have added a ton of options (including different ships, changing bullet colours, rank graphs etc).

Its not cheap (think I paid equivalent of £30 from MS US store) but its worth the cash as they've done a great job.
  • Oh yeah I still need to get that. So happy they did it on Bone, it’s a faff on Piss4.
  • Dangun Feveron out?
  • Third game confirmed as Sorcer Striker. Anyone ever play that?
  • wonderbanana
    Show networks
    Twitter
    NanasParadox
    Xbox
    Wonderbanana
    PSN
    Wonderbanana
    Steam
    Wonderbanana

Send message
    hylian_elf wrote:
    Dangun Feveron out?

Not yet but supposed to be coming.

Never played Sorcer Striker (that I recall anyway). Played Kingdom Grandprix on the Saturn and MAME though (same series) and thats pretty cool.

But definitely grab Garegga, its great. If you want it on PS4 you can get a disc copy (Korea) but it will cost about £60. There was a limited edition pack too but it doesnt include a disc.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have to recommend M2 Shottriggers Battle Garegga (Bone and PS4). Its a classic shmup obviously but they really have added a ton of options (including different ships, changing bullet colours, rank graphs etc). Its not cheap (think I paid equivalent of £30 from MS US store) but its worth the cash as they've done a great job.

Given that the Saturn version of Battle Garegga costs close to £200 then it's a bargain.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!