I Wanna Get It On With Jahbulon : The Shmups/STG Thread
  • I have no other contribution other than I love this thread.
    3DS: 2105-8748-8084 Switch: SW-3316-5834-8308 PSN: aynsleyw
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The fact that it exists and I know some people read it keeps me going. :)
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks

Bollocks.

This bloody game is really winding me up. Just too many effing stupid, controller bashing, CRT kicking mistakes.

AAAAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

When I get this out of the way I'm going for something more modern with slower denser bullet patterns and a small collision box... Sod this old school madness.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    hahahaha, sorrry, but I know just how frustrating a game is getting when you're noticing the difference in hitbox sizes
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Woke up this morning and have cramp in one of the fingers on my right hand - I am assuming it's from the all the rapid tapping although it isn't actaully the finger I use on the fire button....think I'll have to look and see how the autofire works.,....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    So have reconfigured the controls so I have rapid fire now. However my hand it still getting sore - pressing too hard on the buttons.  This bloody game will be the death of me. I'm going to have to take a rest from it and start again after the weekend. Let my hand recover. At my age you have to worry about these things.

Damn.

The 1st 3 levels are randomly selected from 4. I can do them all in any sequence. I just can't consistently get to level 4 without losing a life - and for me that has to be the case to have a chance.

It's an exercise in controlling rank too. You are best staying at max-1 because the bullet speed becomes stupid. Thankfully if you gain max power it's only temporary and you drop back to max-1 after a short time. I can cope with max rank on the 1st 2 levels but level 3 requires you to start avoiding being at max power - some levels it's OK but there are others that have too many snipers to be messing about at max power. There's a few places where I can handle it - boss of level 4 is one case in point.

Have done every level in practice - just have hit a wall with consistency trying to do it in a 1 credit run.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Staying away from shmups but booted up Asteroids Dx this evening for a quick blast. Timeless. Was surprised how well I did after being away from it for so long. Was just shy of 40K.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Relaxed and refreshed. Played some Sega Rally over the weekend on the Saturn.

Back to Aces tomorrow.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Back at this. Have cracked 400K which gives me a 1UP. I'm slightly better for the break but this is still heavy going.

I've found my mind wandering a bit. I've some work to do for a mate and I'm figuring things out in my head quite a bit.....need to get my head cleared!
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Drinking last night so no play. Back at it this evening.

Meanwhile....https://shmupradio.com/
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Good session this evening. Breaking 400K most games now which means getting to the penultimate level. Got there with no life losses at least once but screwed up. Feels like progress.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Interesting video showing SDOJ-360 performance changes using different setups..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2wlUgY_dj0w
  • Damn. Bring back CRTs!!!
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It's ridiculous how far ahead the CRT run gets as the game progresses.

Makes you wonder how much general videogaming speed is now hampered by modern displays.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Some more Samuari Aces today - still breaking 400K now and getting close to the end. Just need to keep at it for a while longer.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Groan..getting better. Starting to slot scores in at the top of my high score table now more often than not. 470K tonight - best ever.

Just need to stay focussed. Still not getting to that last level often enough though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Came close for the first time this evening. Got to the boss just before the final one. It isn't a tricky enemy - provided you stay directly beneath it you can dodge most bullets without too much hassle but I crapped out - really should have at least got past it and got to the final boss to have a crack at it. Had no bombs left though.

Busted 600K too - big leap in score from my prev best of 470K

Steady as she goes.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    PROGRESS REPORT
    It turns out that consistently clearing Ketsui without dying or bombing is actually quite difficult.  The rare forays into Ura loop (requiring NMNB+120mil) see me make a significant dent but the fact that it's such a rare occurrence only intensifies the pressure.  Easy tap-dodges become exercises in intense concentration and it's easy to forget bits of your route when execution is sapping brainpower.  You can see me pause in this run to wipe my hands or simply breathe a little and take stock of my resources.  It's a decent run up until the end of Stage 3 where I get nervous and bomb-happy.  My brain starts to melt after that but I shamble on, good to get some live practice in.  Full tantrum at the end, mind.

tl;dr: improving at an almost imperceptible rate, will be happy if I can clear it before 2021.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The intensity of the genre is what attracts me. I can't play for more than 30-40mins at a stretch.

That suited me when I had young kids as the time budget was vital.Then I was only playing casual though and not even thinking about concentrated play for a 1CC. I was just getting my fix then and enjoying the ride though even then I didn't credit feed. I tended to jump from game to game when I hit a wall instead.

Apart from a short time when I lived alone - I've never really been into long sessions (1-2hrs was my longest then even). That's why narrative led games tend to get abandoned by me.

Was messing about with the 2nd loop of Samurai Aces in the practice mode. I was surprised how well I did. Some of the early levels aren't that much more difficult. The later ones become a nightmare though. Not sure if I will venture that way when I get my 1-ALL. Might do it just for high scoring. I fancy tackling a Cave game next after this old school malarky.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Playing like a fucking tube tonight.

Switched off before I broke my hand on the CRT.  :[
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Played a lot better yesterday but I had work to do so couldn't play too much. Had one particularly good run in which I should have got it but one of the daughters came into the room nattering away to me so I had to pause and it broke my concentration.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Two days since I played. But got to the final boss with a bomb - ballsed it up and got hit before I could deploy it. It would have needed a few seconds of concentrated shot after the bomb but I was damn close. High score too.

Some other decent runs to the final level too but a few screw ups as well. The level 4 boss is a banana skin - too easy to lose 2 lives on it if I screw up and then I just don't have the resources to do it. 

Tomorrow is another day.
  • Dubs
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Woodfeller
    PSN
    DandyDavid
    Steam
    Woodfeller

Send message
    Got Mushihimesama and ZeroRanger as they were reduced on Steam.  Should last me a while.  Not that I'm going to get round to them any time soon, I've already got Crimzon Clover lined up for whenever I'm done with Ketsui.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I hear ZeroRanger has a new mode added recently....white vanilla I think it's called?

Have both those in the bag too. :)

I have played with them and there's plenty to enjoy.

Danmaku Unlimited 2 was going cheap recently so I bagged that too - haven't played any Touhou before - though I fancy that style. Again just gave it a wee trial and it seems very nice. Love the neon look to it.
  • Enjoy ZeroRanger Dubs. Can't speak to it of how good it was as a shmup, but as a loveletter to shmups/anime, and the great narrative beats (and actual beats for that matter) made me really enjoy it.
  • Anyone know anything about the two recent Darius collections released on PS4?
  • Birdorf
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Martin Bird
    Twitter
    birdm68
    Xbox
    Birdorf
    PSN
    Birdorf
    Steam
    Birdorf
    Wii
    U: Birdorf, 3DS: 4382 3173 0928

Send message
    It's a bit annoying that they've split it into two editions and it's too expensive!

I've got the all-singing all-dancing edition coming soon from Strictly Limited. Hopefully.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Darius is a so so series. It was a great arcade experience - consider myself lucky to have played the multi-screen cabinet many years ago. That made up for the fact that it was a pretty by-the-numbers hori-shooter.

Only one I have really enjoyed was Gaiden. That's a quite a step up in form. Don't know about the newer releases though.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    God, I haven't played this in a week now.

Being a gaming hussy - Cuphead, ZeroRanger, Asteroids, Wii Sports Resort, Pilotwings 64. 

Anything but Samurai Aces.  Pain ahead.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Has it been that long?

Need to make up my mind to give up on Samurai Aces for now and look at another candidate - or not.

I'll go back to this tomorrow and see what it feels like. It's not going to be pretty.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!