Next Gen Can Save The Racing Genre
  • Link

Former Bizzare design head says that racers always shine when new hardware appears and admits that Blur, Split Second and Motorstorm are probably niche titles and should have been sold as downloads.

I sort of agree, but it raises the question of what isn't niche - probably GT5 and Forza - thrilling. 

There's also the difficulty of releasing a good racing game on new hardware, Motorstorm worked as a tech demo and little else, PGR3 was loved for the leap to HD but is technically pretty shaky and is a step back from PGR2 in game play terms. Is anyone going to want to risk developing a AAA racer for new hardware at launch this time round?
  • It's a hard one for sure. Racing games were always one of my favourite genres, but I just can't be arsed anymore. I'm a total graphics whore, but even the promise of next gen graffiks doesn't particularly enthuse me.

I hope somebody finds the answer

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • I think describing Motorstorm as a tech demo is very harsh. Motorstorm and Pacific Rift are both great knockabout multiplayer racers, particularly for those who find GT5, Forza etc...too sterile. Mind you, my favourite racer is probably Race Pro, so what do I know?

Selling these 'niche' titles as downloads only is not a bad idea, partcularly if the highlight of the game is the multiplayer, although Sony's likely asking price of £49.99 might prove prohibitive.

• Pacific Rift was great on-line, I don't remember any sort of enthusiasm for the first one at all though and it actually sold really well. Call it a graphics showcase rather than a tech demo then, sounds nicer.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Hmm.

From the right angle GT and Forza aren't far from photo realistic already. Given the nature of how games/models are put together and have to function in game I'm not entirely sure the next gen will look massively better anyway.

You can bet Turn 10 and Polyphony will be working on something, but outside of them who else has the pockets deep enough to undertake something like that. The Blur/Motostorm/whatever guys should be working on something fun, not necessarily technically impressive, which they could have done (and tried to) in this gen and it didn't get them particularly far.
  • g_man said:

It's a hard one for sure. Racing games were always one of my favourite genres, but I just can't be arsed anymore. I'm a total graphics whore, but even the promise of next gen graffiks doesn't particularly enthuse me.

I hope somebody finds the answer

g.man

Yup.

I love me some Grapphix, I really do, but the future doesn't really excite anymore. Everything seems to feel and look incredibly similar the closer we get to representing reality, graphically. 

All I play these days are "interesting", original games that have unique graphic styles, not the most polys and best shaders. Games like Geometry Wars, Limbo, Journey and FEZ. Horsepower is dull unless you can do something different with it these days. Never thought I'd say that... 
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Will a small developer be able to make something that looks great with new hardware?

I'm thinking of games like Ferrari Challenge, Shift and Race Pro. I actually much preferred them to the big boys this generation, but I'm sure most people looked at their slightly shonky graphics and 30fps and decided it wasn't for them.
  • Yup, it's funny how attitudes change. This gen has been a bit like aversion therapy the longer it's gone on.

think we eat too much cake

g.man
  • Bring back Waverace, water graphics must have improved 10 times what that of road and scenry graphics have!!

There are so many different car games which could have updates to decent specs which would give the genre a boost imo.

e.g.

Home release of Chase HQ 2
    Super Off Road
    Wave Race
    Diddy Kong Racing (obviously wont happen)
    Stunt Race FX
    Micro Machines (3d?)
    Super Hang On
    Outrun 3?

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • The basic sensation of driving a virtual vehicle is still pretty compelling, they just need to find new modes to sit that in.
    Or revamped old modes, where's that Carmageddon for the 20teens
  • yeah or destruction derby

TM is still the best racing game for pure racing imo.

He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Vastik
    Show networks
    Twitter
    curiousmachine
    PSN
    Curious__Machine
    Steam
    CuriousMachine
    Wii
    Jammy

Send message
    Bring back Demolition / Destruction Derby! 

Multiple car pile-ups was always fun to navigate.
  • If things keep going the way they are, I'll end up buying a Wii U and playing Super Smash Kart 9 Melee Mushroom Kingdom in 2014 and saying "IT'S ALL ABOOT TEH GAMEPLAY"
    "Our music's strong enough to stop a bomb...putting pressure on you kids like I'm a soccer mom"
  • Ahahahaha
  • Blur is incredible online. A game hasn't made me feel like that since the original MarioKart. Should've been a download tho.

I don't need a load of racing games when Gen8 comes out, just a new Burnout will do.
    "..the pseudo-Left new style.."
  • Think I'm done with Burnout as well. Loved the first few, but again it's that feeling of been there done that, and I hated the last version.

regards

g.man
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Shush, I'd love a new Burnout.

Criterion are one of the few devs that haven't spunked away the good will they have towards them during the course of this gen.

Paradise and NFS:HP were awesome games.
  • It's actually been a great generation for arcade racers, for me anyway. Absolutely loved PGR4, NFS: Hot Pursuit, Midnight Club LA, Blur and Split Second. It's just a pity that the sales of quite a few of them have been disastrous.

Edit: And Sega Rally and Pacific Rift.
  • I honestly dont know what I think about games fullstop, anymore. I don't really know what I want to play or why, can't understand why the next gen doesn't excite me and ultimately, I'm just played-out. I literally can't shoot anymore bullets, or pop any more red barrels. I've done it sooooo manyyyy timessssssss. Far Cry 3 should have me salivating, but it's another shooter, in another jungle, with a load of people to murder and boats to bob around in. We were given the keys to the sweetshop this gen and now I think I'd like the deeds to the wholefoods deli instead. I think this is where Peter Molyneux comes in...ahaha.
  • I know that I think I don't play very many of them, bar the odd one or two I play to excess. Which is fine.
  • I honestly dont know what I think about games fullstop, anymore. I don't really know what I want to play or why, can't understand why the next gen doesn't excite me and ultimately, I'm just played-out. I literally can't shoot anymore bullets, or pop any more red barrels. I've done it sooooo manyyyy timessssssss. Far Cry 3 should have me salivating, but it's another shooter, in another jungle, with a load of people to murder and boats to bob around in. We were given the keys to the sweetshop this gen and now I think I'd like the deeds to the wholefoods deli instead. I think this is where Peter Molyneux comes in...ahaha.

This is exactly how I feel, well put Turts.

I just think we've got to the point when it's all so familiar there's no excitement anymore. I hope the next gen will bring something completely fresh that will really stimulate and engage me.

Or just give me a prettier Skyrim with more freedom and I'll be yours.

Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • i liked the new burnout (crash), its pretty good on IOS too. More games like that please :)
  • I'm always up for more horsepower, but the current problem is a paucity of ideas a lack of creative risk-taking due to the business model of multi million dollar AAA established franchises. This is why I'm sticking solely to small XBLA and PSN games, it's where the ideas are. However, horsepower is still being used by devs in these games, so it's far from redundant. Journey would've been half the experience it currently is without the POWA OF THE CELL. Bring on the horsepower next gen. Even a three man indie dev will be able to utilise it via Unreal engine 4 whilst cramming in a Mario Galaxy's worth of original ideas in a £10 release. More of this.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    I've enjoyed this little stroll down memory lane, thanks nut.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Where is Vastik nowadays? Or do I just not go into the same threads as him?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Unno.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Need for Speed Hot Pursuit was pretty outstanding. I'd even say it was a better arcade Racer than Burnout 3. 

Nothing more to say.... it's old now.
    The next generation doesn't start until MAG comes out. 

PSN: Naemuckle
    STEAM: Naemuckle
  • Hot Pursuit pinnacle.

Business has ruined them though, that number on Ea access is shit in comparison.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!