Jazz Bears
  • This will probably end up being too specific a thing, but I thought considering that Jazz is a bit good and a bit important there may be a space to have a bit of chat about it and exchange some recommendations.

One of the most recent people I have gotten a love for is Mel Torme, AKA’d as The Velvet Fog AKA’d as The Smoothest Scatter in All of Jazz.

tPjGAT8.jpg

He wrote The Christmas Song (Chestnuts Roasting) but is far more important and good as a Jazz singer, as well as being a world class scat guy and drummer.

A Foggy Day In London Town

Fascinating Rhythm

April Showers

Down For Double with Jon Hendricks (epic scatting)

His ability to fit in with the bands he played with on instruments and scatting means that he has an improvisational edge that other greats don’t really have so much. Being able to solo vocally is a fair gift.

Other vocal heads I like include:

Johnny Hartman

2FVgh0t.jpg

Another smooth as silk crooner who worked with such sorts as John Coltrane and Jim Hall. His album with Coltrane is probably my favourite of all of his stuff and is neck and neck with The Tony Bennett/Bill Evans records as being my favourite vocal/instrumental combos. His For ‘Trane is also full of the good stuff.

Lush Life

The Nearness of You

I Just Dropped By To Say Hello

Frank Sinatra

uElxZex.jpg

An obvious one, and someone who wasn’t always firmly in the Jazz camp, but a listen to In The Wee Small Hours - one of the first concept albums if that kind of thing gets you hot - and Only The Lonely gave me a severe feeling for that blue eyed guy. Plus a watch of High Society helped.

Only The Lonely

In the Wee Small Hours of the Morning

It Never Entered My Mind

Tony Bennett

Mpu47ZT.jpg

Frank called him the best singer in the world. Another super famous guy, but definitely more consistently a Jazz guy than not. His two albums with Bill Evans are some of my favourite things in all of music. Recorded during the worst financial period in Tony’s whole career, they are among the very best things he ever did. A shame that he’s kind of become that gimmick duet guy, but he’s still got the pipes.

We’ll Be Together Again

Young and Foolish

Anything Goes

Chicago with Count Basie and His Orchestra

Billie Holiday

v17Q8r3.jpg

Has all of those strange elements to her that make her voice do it. Down and glum but capable of being quite beautiful. Interestingly, the song Gloomy Sunday which had all that guff about killing people is less harsh on Billie’s version than it is on Mel Torme’s which does not have the stock happy ending to it, although I guess Billie’s voice goes some way to disguising that fact.

Autumn in New York

God Bless the Child

Fine and Mellow

Gloomy Sunday

Gloomy Sunday (Mel Torme version)

Getting a taste for Jazz started with people like Chet Baker, and then Bill Evans. Both helped me remove my general impatience with instrumental music and then my lack of why Jazz is a pretty great thing.

Chet Baker

ZT6yryv.jpg

Chet’s main pull, and why he was the first Jazz guy to break through for me, was his voice and the super soft way he performed these songs. I did fairly quickly come to love his trumpet playing though with albums like Chet Baker in New York and Chet where he wears a lovely jumper on the cover. Worked with Charlie Parker early in his career and even went on to play with Elvis Costello later on. Almost Blue was written by Elvis and is a perfectly suited to Chet’s near death voice. The documentary Let’s Get Lost (
    ) is highly recommended.

Almost Blue

Let’s Get Lost

Come Rain or Shine

My Future Just Passed

Bill Evans

DnjTSzX.jpg

Everybody Digs Bill Evans is probably my favourite of his, but I also love Alone and the Conversations With Myself albums.

Peace Piece

Portrait In Jazz

Blue In Green

The Universal Mind of Bill Evans

Ornette Coleman

HqMBlsq.jpg

Beauty is a Rare Thing

The Shape of Jazz To Come

Jim Hall

LxqhkR0.jpg

Jim Hall is one of relatively few jazz guitarists who are well known and fairly important. I got a feeling for him first on the album Undercurrent which he did with Bill Evans.

I Hear a Rhapsody

Stella By Starlight

A Conversation with Jim Hall

Wes Montgomery

Fkyz4z9.png

The other famous Jazz guitarist, who had a ridiculously short career largely because of a silly commitment to his family.

Round Midnight

Live in 1965

Four on Six

Wayne Shorter

bzFostx.jpg

Speak No Evil

Introducing Wayne Shorter

Miles Davis

bhnk4Fm.jpg

Of course. While it is a bit of a shame that he ended up doing 80s things in the 80s, he had a much longer career than his habits should probably have allowed him. I love Round Midnight. One of the coolest motherfuckers on the planet.

Round Midnight

Kind of Blue

Live in Europe 1967

Quincy Jones

YX1rebc.jpg

A stone cold legend as an R&B / Soul / Funk producer but a helluva Jazz guy also. The Quintessence gave me a taste for the bigger band sound.

The Quintessance

Straight No Chaser

Duke Ellington

sm2lkmd.jpg

My favourite of the older school. His album with John Coltrane is a regular feature in my listening.

Take the A Train

Caravan

Switch Blade

The Feeling of Jazz

So those are some things I like. I am interested to see if anyone here has managed to crack any recent-ish Jazz and whether they can recommend some worthwhile stuff.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Nice thread... I'm not deep into Jazz, but I like some stuff, and know that Ahmad Jamal plays at the Barbican Centre on the 8/9 of Feb. : )

Why's this not in the other media room?
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • All I know about Jazz is that I like Miles Davis Kind of Blue and Bitches Brew.

Maybe this Guardian Spotify Playlist will give you some good stuff to look at?
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Now that's what I call an OP.

Honestly, I always had a deep aversion to jazz until I watched Treme and discovered the less cerebral and more danceable forms. It's still not something I'm a massive fan of, I don't see myself listening to it at home for instance, but I don't condemn jazz in the same way as I did when I thought it was all that modal guff.
  • Nice

Agreed. Almost as meticulously crafted as when Chet leapt to the defence of R Kelly a while back. Top marks, although I can't add anything to the thread as jazz has never really done it for me, even after wading through a few highly regarded albums. I'll watch a few vids when I get home though.
  • I go and see live jazz when i get the chance - mainly when on my annual hols to Amsterdam - but i dont know much about it or listen to much. Will work through OP to see what i like. Good thread.

Listen to a lot of Portico Quartet right now, excellent modern/alternative jazz.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    Now that's what I call an OP. Honestly, I always had a deep aversion to jazz until I watched Treme and discovered the less cerebral and more danceable forms. It's still not something I'm a massive fan of, I don't see myself listening to it at home for instance, but I don't condemn jazz in the same way as I did when I thought it was all that modal guff.
    West Coast Jazz such as your man Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker etc. are great for relaxing.
    Throw Buddy Rich in there as well for the Big Band crossover, awesome drumming and one of the best Muppets guest slots ever.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I do recall Buddy Rich on the Muppet Show. He was kind of awesome.
  • djchump wrote:
    Yossarian wrote:
    Now that's what I call an OP. Honestly, I always had a deep aversion to jazz until I watched Treme and discovered the less cerebral and more danceable forms. It's still not something I'm a massive fan of, I don't see myself listening to it at home for instance, but I don't condemn jazz in the same way as I did when I thought it was all that modal guff.
    West Coast Jazz such as your man Stan Getz, Dave Brubeck, Gerry Mulligan, Chet Baker etc. are great for relaxing. Throw Buddy Rich in there as well for the Big Band crossover, awesome drumming and one of the best Muppets guest slots ever.
    Right on. Buddy Rich was also hilariously profane to his band mates.

How about I take you outside and show you what it's like!
  • Who makes the kind of dark, brooding jazz you get in David Lynch films? Other than Badmanmenti or what ever he's called.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Angelo Badalamenti.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I was replying to the 'or whatever he's called' part.
  • I suppose the West Coast Jazz has some of that spooky quality to it. Chet Baker in particular.
  • I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
  • Epic OP. Have listened in bits to a fair chunk of that OP over the years. Although thinking I'll hunt those specific Sinatra and Bennett suggestions.

Ornette Coleman. Jesus. Some AMAZING stuff, but he is what people talk about when they say they don't like jazz. Bless him.

I think I stumbled on Cannonball Adderly and a Tyrone someone when listening to a Bill Evans youtube mix on your recommendation, both worth a listen.

Like me some Keith Jarret too.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Sweet, basically all of the specific albums mentioned in OP are up on Rdio.

New tunes for me!
  • I like a bit of Oscar Peterson & Stéphane Grappelli.  I've been listening to this album for years and it never gets old.
  • Been listening to Frank, Trane and Johnny and Bill and Tony all arvo. Awesome stuff. Bill and Tony in particular.
  • I'm glad you like them! Both of the Tony/Bill albums are great, but that first one is just a big bowl of wonderful.

I have found some of Peterson and Grappelli on Spotify so I will have a listen today. Do love a bit of Grappelli.
  • Do love a bit of Grappelli. Reckon him and Metheny would be great together.
  • Damn, Johnny Hartman is such a great find, chet. Awesome.
  • Glad you like him! He's one of my favourites.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Like a bit of jazz myself - Miles Davis - particularly the Birth of Cool and Kind of Blue era though I've been giving Bitches Brew a bit of a listen and that steered me in the direction of Herbie Hancock and Headhunters which is pretty good too.

Oscar Peterson, Coltrane, Brubeck and co. give me lots of listening pleasure - jazz albums tend to get better the more you listen to them over the years and they're pretty cheap to pick up too.

I kind of like the chilled out stuff - almost background music to a dinner party - it just really relaxes me. Suppose that makes me very middle-of-the-road.

There's some great Columbia box sets kicking around that dip into a lot of people and are great for picking out artists for further investigation.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Blue note app is quite a slick way to browse snippets of BN back catalogue:

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/blue-note-by-groovebug/id541745912?mt=8

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!