Philosophy Experiments
‹ Previous123456789
  • Well, this seems interesting enough.

Who's Body is it anyway?

Russell Blackford on this particular test.

It should be fairly obvious what it's about, but they suggest as little preamble as possible for the test, so I'll keep this brief. Figure it might make for some interesting discussion, and if enough enjoy it, I note they have other tests there too.

Now, I haven't done it myself yet, so here we go.

I'm still great and you still love it.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    The first thing we need to experiment with is the spelling of philosophy. ;)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • People seeds wtaf.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Who is this Philos Phy and how did he manage to write his name in solid cement?!
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • Spoiler:

I've no idea what this really says about me to be honest.
  • Spoiler:

• Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Hands up though, who knew it was about abortion from the first question?
  • I guessed pregnancy, yes.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Does your baby have the right to live inside your body?
  • @Larry: Good idea posting your answers like that, but maybe we chuck 'em under a spoiler?
    Spoiler:
  • Yes, but not in my house god dammit.
  • And tempy.
  • Leftist bully.

Why are philosophy experiments like this? They're always written the same, with people plants and stuff .
  • I have to say that reading Singer earlier this year nearly had me ticking Always. Although I think, on balance, the normally option is good enough.
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Does your body have the right to live inside your house?
  • I passed, I ticked always because it's not really up to me because it's not my body.
  • I did the Philosophical Health Check one. Apparently I have no tensions. Fuck yeah.
  • Should You Kill the Fat Man?  Was much more interesting than the crappy abortion one.  Everyone go do that!
  • ... and for more Trolley Problem exploration, Should You Kill the Backpacker? is a good follow up.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Spoiler:
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    [table][tr][td]Your moral judgement of abortion* [/td] [td]
    Fail
    [/td] [/tr] [tr] [td] Internal consistency of your views [/td] [td]
    Pass
    [/td] [/tr] [/table]
    Your responses during this activity indicate that you should think abortion is morally justified except perhaps in the late stages of a pregnancy. Moreover, assuming it isn't a late term abortion, you should not have any significant moral qualms about it. This is contrary to your stated position on abortion, which is that it is only justified in very limited circumstances. Frankly, it just seems you're a bit confused. The puzzle here is all your responses have been entirely consistent with the view that abortion is morally justified. In a strange way, then, your position on abortion is coherent and well thought out - it's just you haven't followed where the logic of your beliefs leads.

YEAH? WELL FUCK YOU TOO.
  • The first question is stupid.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    the people seeds had me visualising pikmin...
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Hulka T wrote:
    The first question is stupid.

I dunno, they're all odd in their own way, but it's pretty clear what variables they're trying to remove.

(Fat man and trolley are on my to do list. The trolley ones have heaps of interesting variants, very easy to end up incoherant.)

• EvilRedEye wrote:
    Spoiler:

That fucked me up too, which explains the perceived inconsistency in my answers.

Edited due to formatting fuck ups.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Hands up though, who knew it was about abortion from the first question?

I guessed that from the link in the OP.
  • First one...
    Spoiler:
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Fuck that shit. I gave up on the final scenario, which was clearly written in a bullshit manner unworthy of a response. The whole thing was an exercise in oversimplification, with the simple fact of the biological implications of bringing a child to term being the only thing that matters with the whole actually having a tiny, utterly defenceless human being who will be completely fucked if they do not have all of their physical and emotional needs tended to at the end of it all being completely ignored.

Bullshit.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    with the whole actually having a tiny, utterly defenceless human being who will be completely fucked if they do not have all of their physical and emotional needs tended to at the end of it all being completely ignored. Bullshit.

Surely that's an actual stance that some people do indeed take? Not completely ignoring the potential of a fetus, granted, but saying that it's potential definitely takes a back seat to either the importance of the woman's rights.

While I agree that some of the questions were awkward (not as in morally hard to answer, but badly put, that is), I'll defend them to the extent that most of them did a reasonable job of trying to get to the critical part of each decision. So the first one, with the soccer player (and as they mention, the violin player in another version of it) tries to create a scenario where it's a given that you're dealing with a sentient/self aware human/person, and then make you decide if it's still your body that takes precedent. At least that's how I see it. Correct me if I'm off base there, anyone.

Simplification is kinda the name of the game with these things, surely? Individually, they'll all be fairly simple (and will require some allowances, as they are thought experiments, not "this could actually happen"), but that's why there's multiple questions, and there's an attempt to change things through each example in an attempt to see if what you're thinking is consistent.

Anyhoo, loathe to jump to it's defense too far, as I thought the people seeds questions weren't that great. I do like these sort of experiments in general though. Elm mentioned they have the trolley/backpacker ones in there too, which I reckon are very good at highlighting some interesting intuitions which we all generally have.
  • I think the first question anyway would make more sense if it was understood that such a situation often resulted in a soccer player being attached to your body.
    I'm a Sasquatch man and I'm watching you.
‹ Previous123456789

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!