Gamer, what are we/you?!
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Time for over the top analysis!

So last night a question was raised at GameCiy nights.

"Who here calls themselves a gamer?" And a short discussion ensues. And persists somewhat through the evening born from my insistence of preferring 'videogames enthusiast'. "Sounds snobbish." But then gamer has it's own connotations too; I'd argue worse than sounding like a snob, a waster, maybe. Skiver, in current social context.

So defending my choice, in a simplistic manner for sake of brevity and not dominating I say. "If you're into films you're not a filmer! That's the logic in my head." Which is 'broken apart' by a lad saying, "Yeah but you're in the act, you're playing a game." and so I leave it as this isn't about semantics as I see it. I see it about identity. So snob might stand up if we analyse it further. Regardless conversation moves on.

Had it not I would've taken the stance that when you're 'in the act' one is gaming and that is an entirely acceptable term, in context. But gamer to me could be anything from someone who does a lot of Off Ground to Tick to someone who does a lot of Warhammer or both or more. In short I don't believe Gamer in a wide context, provides the right denotation.

Gamer despite being flexible isn't concise and has probably been sullied. While I think the term needs to be reclaimed as something less negative I feel folks should be more assertive in extolling their passions. I'd rather hear someone say. "I play all the games." Than. "I'm a gamer." (If that's true.)

I suppose another question after the crowd were asked, "Who here calls themselves a gamer?" could've been. "What is a gamer?"

I'm interested in what we think of anything I've just said and interested in who self-identifies as a gamer, the responses you receive when you do, if you ever call yourself anything different or if you wish there was a less negative term.

I'm also interested in what people think are the connotations of identifying as a gamer. I simply use it (videogames enthusiast) because I like videogames more than boardgames.

So there we go. I am insane in my deliberation I accept that but I think it's important for both public debate and academic. You or we, may not actually care!

edit: general edit.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Nobody puts baby in a box.
  • "Gamer" has been pejorative in my mind for a long time, but what else is new.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    When I hear the word "gamer", I usually think of fruit machines, and the betting shop, which in turn reminds me of a chapter in A Tale of Two Cities, where a lawyer cross examines some dude, and asks:

"...ever live by play?"

But by then, someone will have hopefully mentioned Fifa (hmm...) or Strider (really!?), or something, and I'd then stop spenging...
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Plan M wrote:
    But are gamers arters?
  • That terrible film has ruined the term for ever.
  • Also, beano, come on, at least pretend you are writing a thesis or something. :-)
  • Bean did anyone ask the 'are games art?' question? Last GCN I went to someone did and Cocko nearly laughed the room down.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Videogames research is so far-out of the scope of my research it can be expressed in AUs. About the same amount of AUs between the Milky Way and Andromeda. That said, the impact of my research should be realised by the videogames field amongst many others. After all I am using Minecraft servers as a basis for some experiments! But that's only because I can make that fucker crash without much effort :) This is all off point other than to express I have no interest in applying what is learned here anecdotally to any research I am pursuing!

If anyone had have asked the art question I don't think this thread would exist.

Let's simplify this in the context of videogames. Are you?

a) A gamer.
    b) A videogames enthusiast.
    c) Something else. (Please state)

I will make a variety of graphs.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • C) a person who plays games, I guess. I can't identify with a lot of the culture despite findin I easy to understand. I find it all self involved and hostile, childish and lots of other things. As Brooks says, the term 'gamer' is a pejorative.

Game City Nights were as frequently brilliant as they were embarrassing. For every level headed person who was interested in games, there were two people with awkward facial hair, 1-up mushroom Tshirts, leather coats and fedoras. Now that's a shallow and cuntish way of dismissing them, but they're uniformly loud, childish and irritating. It's why I like this place, as we largely avoid that.
  • *sheepishly removes hat*

I'm assuming you weren't referring to the Linux based O/S.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I play videogames. I'm not sure whether I have enough interest in them any more to describe my self as a videogames enthusiast. I suppose 'gamer' fits in the same way that 'guitarist' fits even though I haven't been keeping up with my guitar playing.

As for the whole 'gamer' for board/tabletop gamers, the fact is, their interest is far too niche to be able to lay claim to keeping the term 'gamer' for themselves. If you say I'm a gamer to most people these days, they're likely to think of videogames.

In fact, I don't think I've ever heard anyone into Warhammer describe themselves as a 'gamer'.
  • I have it on reasonable authority that Nick is a hamburger.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    im addicted to games, i love games in all varietys.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • Brooks wrote:
    I have it on reasonable authority that Nick is a hamburger.

You've made me smile on a pretty grim Wednesday, thank you.

Also yes if you cut into me at this stage, you see the clear layers of sauce, melted cheese, rarebreed patty, chopped lettuce and pickle.

And when I get cold sesame seeds appear instead of goosebumps.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I'd quite like to go to Nottingham for the main event.

Which may or may not involving laughing at the 'awkward facial hair, 1-up mushroom Tshirts, leather coats and fedoras'.
  • Wait did no one see my sushi 303? Disappearing posts wtf
  • Someone who plays football can be called a "footballer", but there are no "tennisers", so I guess it will depend on the context and some set of incomprehensible english grammar rules, which all conflict with each other. 

When I hear the word "gamer" it does bring back unpleasant memories of the self-labelled gamer: long haired, eye-wateringly smelly, fat, matrix-coat guy sat in front of me in games technology lecturers; with his mates "bullet-belt guy" and "halo-logo-shaved-into-the-back-of-my-head guy", so maybe distancing myself from them is a good thing (figuratively and also literally, because the smell really was that bad. I mean jesus christ press pause and have a shower now and then! If not for yourself, then for the general public who have no choice about their forced proximity to you).  

Even the more recent COD or Halo american frat-boy gamer image isn't a good one.

Don't get me wrong I do play games on my own and with friends both of the computer and board variety, but I wouldn't want to be introduced to a new person, with the word "gamer" defining me, until that stereotype changes. 

Sorry if I have offended anyone (even you bullet-belt - if you are out there).
    beano wrote:
    and you are also using Minecraft to write your first draft thesis - one stone block at a time.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Stats so-far...
    8zAUNEV.jpg
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Wait did no one see my sushi 303? Disappearing posts wtf

Yeah, I saw it in the Draw a Forumite thread where you posted it.
  • Why is baby not in a box on that graph?
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    @daviedigi
    PSN
    daviedigi
    Steam
    daviedigi
    Wii
    poo

Send message
    can i be an enthusiastic addict, the enthusiasts need more numbers.
    psn/steam:daviedigi

raziel once wrote..."davie's to nice for this forum"!
  • I'm in the enthusiast box.
  • I'm enthusiastic, as proven by something like Revengeance, I just don't care about the 'culture.'
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Morally I can't add the baby to the chart.

6917112700_8cf3d3c7bd_z.jpg
  • I'd class myself a gamer, I love to play games, it is a hobby. I'd stop short of videogame enthusiast as it brings to mind those that collect videogameria (?), cabs, consoles, controllers, software, etc from many eras, not necessarily to play but to possess. Gamer does have an unfortunate odour to it, if I need to declare my hobby I say I play Xbox or videogames just to make clear the distinction of which area of gaming interests me. Did try to put myself through Gamer the other week but lasted all of five minutes, rotten.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Tempy wrote:
    C) a person who plays games, I guess. I can't identify with a lot of the culture despite findin I easy to understand. I find it all self involved and hostile, childish and lots of other things. As Brooks says, the term 'gamer' is a pejorative.
    I'll go with that too.

Thing is, whenever anyone mentions something like the 'gaming community' I never imagine myself as part of it, and I'm not even sure what it is. I still know a shitload about videogames though, especially old ones, and take part in a videogames based internet forum. I used to be more into it, thats for sure. Now I just want to know what's out and if it's supposed to be any good.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!