WoW
‹ Previous12
  • Do any of you play it? I still dont get why its so popular and the levels of addiction.

Can someone explain please?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Some people like organising things and so they get mental running clans.

Some people like belonging to something so they join clans.

Most people don't like taking the blame.

There are plenty of people in a game to blame when things go wrong.

Sorted?
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • why dont they all play MAG instead?
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Nope, gave it up years ago and never looked back.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Ditto.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • I've never played WoW but why does it bother you if people do? There's surely a huge social element to it similar to posting on a forum.
  • Bearman.jpg

Bearman with a ten inch haaaandspan.

Think I'm still a bit drunk from last night.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    NOw I am thinking of Chen-sans talk about Journey, and the research into in-game interaction.
  • mk64 wrote:
    why dont they all play MAG instead?

Maybe they don't like FPS games, and prefer the End Game content that WoW offers?
  • @MK64
    Why don't they all play Mafia together?
  • I've never touched WoW, but the idea of raids and instanced dungeons and those high level boses seem pretty good. Borderlands 2 kinda apes it, but only for 4 players. I wouldn't be against a similar streamlined aproach elsewhere, and I personally think it's what Bungie are cooking up with Destiny, except with randomised missions as padding between events. Loot is already confirmed so it's logical.
  • Dark Soldier
    Show networks
    Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Cant come out mate killing rats for 72 hours for XP m8 soz
  • @MK64 Why don't they all play Mafia together?

exactly.

It doesn't really bother me, just never understood it. We've never really had much of a WoW community here.. I suppose that's because they spend less time talking about games (bears and blums) and more time playing them :)
  • I suppose the mechanics and universe carry it better than Mafia.
  • is it a strategy game?

I appreciate I could read up on it but I don't think I want to.. i'm just fine with an overview. The dungeon raids.. is it just a case of levelling up, ala dark souls?
  • Subbax
    Show networks
    Facebook
    andrew.henderson
    Twitter
    Subbax
    Xbox
    Subbax
    PSN
    SubAxe
    Steam
    Subbax

Send message
    I got rather addicted to it for about 4 months and my missus got really really fucking pissed so I sacked it in.

I enjoyed the massive world, co-op dungeons and generally running around like a boss with my scorpider pet thing.
    It's a goddamn snoozefest out there.
  • I played the free week trial to see what it was all about. Grind isn't even the word, an absolute waste of time.

I could kill 3 boars to finish the quest but no it is always 15 boars.
    It seemed to me to be artificially grindy so they can develop the least amount of game for the most amount of subscription money. Then of course the player pulls the other way and plays as much as possible to get the most value out of their sub.

Tedious would be the word that best described my WoW experience.
  • It's an MMO. The strategy I guess comes from levelling up and picking skills and crafting/enchanting armour to have synergy with your skills/character, thus allowing you to fill a role, or be good at something.

The levelling up isn't like Dark Souls because the levelling in that game is much more fundemental to the mechanics than in probably any RPG before it (Demon's excluded, they're of the same cloth)

The longevity comes from the fact that loot drops are randomised. Certain bosses are sure to drop certain stuff, but it might be a 1% chance for the drop. But, if you want to eke those last few points of damage or whatever out of your character, and a boss drops an item that fulfills that, then you're gonna keep hammering it for it.

I've never played WoW but it's ubiquitous enough that i've read my fair share about it over the years, and it's mechanics have infected every MMO after it, so I've heard it reinforced elsewhere too.
  • Death to this thread.

Less a slight on Kart than the topic, in case of confusion.
  • It is one of the better South Park episodes. Everything i know about WoW i know from that ep.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    I've played it on and off for years now depending who in my circle of friends is into it. WoW has managed some sheer feats of world design and it should be one of the most lauded games of this gen imo.

Of course the success is a double edged sword. I've grown incredibly bored and dismissive of the entire genre since everything tries to ape it so much. Only recent one to buck the trend a little bit is The Secret World but it has no chance of sustaining interest as much as WoW did in the first few years.

I have a mate who plays it nearly every idle moment he has at home. His guildmaster actually pays his sub for him to keep doing raids.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    mk64 wrote:
    is it a strategy game? I appreciate I could read up on it but I don't think I want to.. i'm just fine with an overview. The dungeon raids.. is it just a case of levelling up, ala dark souls?

It's an open world RPG. Most of your time will be spent "grinding" on monsters in progressively more dificult areas that vary from snow capped mountainous places to noisy green jungles (and even an area completely underwater) so you level up get better gear the usual stuff. Quests are given to you in local towns that you can go out and manage which include your standard mocked kill 15 boar quests but after one of the expansions, Cataclysm, Blizzard revamped most of the original content and those kind of quests are nowhere near as prevalent.

Some areas include dungeons (or "instances" as they're more often called) which are purpose built for groups of 5 players to tackle together with much more difficult monsters and many large boss creatures that require specialized party members like the tank, healer and DPS and are impossible to solo or without working as a group. Raids are the same thing but in huge grandiose areas that include more players. I believe in vanilla WoW there were some 40 man raids that required an INSANE amount of organization not just to play but to setup runs where everyone could get together. Most raids now are 20 man and a few 10 man I believe.

There's also a strong PVP scene if you join PVP servers. Depending on what race you select for your character you're lumped into one of two opposing factions who you can attack and likewise get mauled by in the game world as you're going about your business. On some of the the servers it can be quite fun as you can get ambushed by a group of players marauding about picking off people one by one and use the general chat to try and assemble a posse to hunt them down in retribution. Very frontier like.
  • Right, who's up for some Monster Hunter?
  • Thanks bollock

• Call of Duty

Do any of you play it? I still dont get why its so popular and the levels of addiction.

Can someone explain please?
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!