Castlevania - What a horrible night to have a curse
  • They've only revealed 4/8, chill!
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Disappointing Castlevania collection.

It's got two of my top five already announced. I'm hoping for Bloodlines and Rondo of Blood to be among the unannounced four.

Hopefully they do a Collection II with all the Metroidvania stuff, but thinking about it there isn't 4 A-B platformers left for the first collection. So unfortunately it looks like it'll be a mix of both.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I don't think it'll be Rondo or SotN again, because they've got their own release. 

Bloodlines and Rebirth perhaps? What about any 3D ones, like the N64 game? If not, maybe the GBA games?
  • I'd love the GBA games.
  • I don’t think they’ll go for anything 3D.
  • Me neither, I think it'll be 2D only.

As much as I'm not a fan I feel like the GBA/DS games deserve a collection of their own, plus they would be harder to up-res to modern systems.

If we exclude them the four other games could only be:
    - Simon's Quest*
    - The Adventure*
    - Rondo of Blood
    - Bloodlines
    - Dracula X*
    - SotN
    - Legends*
    - Chronicles*
    - Adventure Rebirth

* are unlikely imo, leaving the other four. Unless Sony has Rondo and SotN tied into some sort of exclusivity I put my money on those.

The 6 GBA/DS games would be harder to up-res to modern systems.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Next will be Castlevania 64, Legacy of Darkness,
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Still hope its the DS Castlevania games.
  • The 360 version of SotN is on the Xbox store so that shouldn't be locked down.
  • Great art print of SotN on sale at Cook and Becker. I managed to bag the large one, number 3. Gonna look so great!

https://www.candb.com/en/artwork/2708/castlevania-symphony-of-the-night-konami.html
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Bit of a disappointing full list on the upcoming collection:

Castlevania (1987, NES)
    Castlevania II: Simon’s Quest (1988, NES)
    Castlevania: The Adventure (1989, Game Boy)
    Castlevania III: Dracula’s Curse (1990, NES)
    Kid Dracula (1990, NES)
    Castlevania II: Belmont’s Revenge (1991, Game Boy)
    Super Castlevania IV (1991, SNES)
    Castlevania Bloodlines / New Generation / Vampire Killer (1994, Mega Drive)

Kid Dracula... FFS!

http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2019/04/heres_the_full_lineup_for_castlevania_anniversary_collection_on_switch
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 2 Gameboy games and 4 NES games. Yeah, I'm out.
  • It's the GB games and Kid Dracula that I can't stomach, Castlevania: The Adventure especially, utter shite.

Feels like a bit of a wasted opportunity.

With that being said it's almost worth the price for the two 16-Bit games alone. One to look out for in a sale imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No reason why Chronicles couldn't have been included - have that for PS1 - is excellent. Is a redux of a Sharp computer version that was a JP only. The PS1 game has an arrange mode with slightly nicer graphics and sound and tweaked difficulty. Even had a TT mode unlocked when you beat the game. There's a dev interview too.

No Rebirth either. That game deserves a wider audience as I doubt it got a lot of WiiWare sales.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Is the price known already?

Quick scan through the comments on Nintendo Life and quite a few people are happy with Kid Dracula.
    Another one mentioned they already said there would be no metroidvania style games in this collection, so there might be more on the way?

Not too interested in this one, I got most of those on the modded nes classic.
  • There is a second Castlevania collection already confirmed by Konami.

Intrestingly (Kid Dracula aside which is a spin off), these games are basically the first 8 games released in the series. Should make the rest of the Contra games easy to predict.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • There aren't as many early Contra games though, are there? There was a Gameboy version though, which I'm pretty sure I owned at some point, so I guess that will be on there.
  • There's not as many Contra games full stop.

1. Contra - NES/Arcade
    2. Super Contra - NES/Arcade
    3. Operation C - GB
    4. Contra III: The Alien Wars - SNES
    5. Contra Force - NES *NOT A REAL CONTRA*
    6. Contra: Hard Corps - MD
    7. Contra: Legacy of War - PS
    8. C The Contra Adventure - PS
    9. Contra: Shattered Soldier - PS2
    10. Neo Contra - PS2
    11. Contra 4 - DS
    12. Contra ReBirth - Wii
    13. Hard Corps: Uprising - 360/PS3

Hopefully they leave 5, 7 and 8 well alone as they're a bit shit and not even made by Konami, the last 3 aren't either tbf but they're decent at least.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    What's the PS2 Contra like? I believe it is in my tower of shame.

Contra Rebirth is rip roaring. My favourite.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I'm in for Bloodlines - never played. 

Also, seconding Davy, ReBirth is amazing.
  • davyK wrote:
    What's the PS2 Contra like?

Shattered Soldier - my favourite, superb.
    Neo - a 3D game, not terrible but doesn't really feel like a Contra game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • regmcfly wrote:
    I'm in for Bloodlines - never played. 

Your in for a treat, one of the better pre Metroidvania games imo.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Cant speak for Contra Rebirth as it never came out in Aus, but the Rebirth edition of Gradius was basically a directors cut/select levels of the first few games wasnt it? Not too disimilar from Sonic Mania in theory. I assume CV and Contra Rebirth were similar.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    What's the PS2 Contra like?
    Shattered Soldier - my favourite, superb. Neo - a 3D game, not terrible but doesn't really feel like a Contra game.

Hmmm...think it's Neo I have.  Will keep an eye out for Shattered Soldier though.
  • Vela wrote:
    Cant speak for Contra Rebirth as it never came out in Aus, but the Rebirth edition of Gradius was basically a directors cut/select levels of the first few games wasnt it? Not too disimilar from Sonic Mania in theory. I assume CV and Contra Rebirth were similar.

CV Rebirth was a decent remake of The Adventure on GB.

Contra Rebirth is all new afaik.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I haven't played a lot of Contra games (NES and SNES) but don't recall robo-camels in any of them!  That's a great section in Rebirth.  :)
  • And now I want to play Revenge of the Mutant Camels on Amiga.

Why wont someone make me a plug and play Amiga?
  • Anniversary Collection hits today, anyone taking the plunge?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Probably not. Only really interested in the mega drive one I think.
  • Bloodstained Ritual of the night has been released. Switch version out next week.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!