Camping.
‹ Previous12
  • Recently I treated myself to a van
    20121001_1429240_zps41cd1edb.jpg

Somebody's just given me
    zoom_400PX_asset_33382615_zpsed678344.jpg

And I got a good deal on
    camping_chef_two_burner_stove_with_grill_new_zps88886edc.jpg

So this year I plan to spend as much time as possible camping with the family. This will be my first effort proper camping rather then just being drunk in a tent at events.

Anybody else a camper, any top tips or stories and most of all any good campsite recommendations?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Camping is for faggots. Hah.
  • Pitch tents facing down-hill.

We did this at Creamfields (o.k not proper camping) and when the place flooded we were slightly wet, unlike the tent next door which was bulging with water.
  • I hate camping. There's no room service and the toilets are awful.
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • I hate camping. There's no room service and the toilets are awful.
    Before kids I would have agreed but after a long weekend camping in Cornwall last year the freedom outweighed the discomfort. I'm trying to minimise that now as well.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    get a caravan lol
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • Get a leatherman and a proper Zippo.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    This site is good for families - I head there with me bro's family.
    http://www.wowo.co.uk/index.php/home

Don't go the lakes before June.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    http://www.heinnie.com

various paraphernalia - good site for procrastination.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/

That site should have a review of any campsite you're likely to be visiting.

Haven't done tent camping in years.  Hoping to do some this year on the bike up north though.

Did New Zealand in a small campervan.  It was brilliant.  Once you start to drop your creature comforts you realise you don't really need them.
  • beano wrote:
    http://www.heinnie.com

various paraphernalia - good site for procrastination.
    I think my missus might freak out of I turned up in a bio hazard poncho, sword in one hand monkeys fist in the other.
  • EvilRedEye wrote:
    get a caravan lol
    Camper van maybe.
  • beano wrote:
    This site is good for families - I head there with me bro's family. http://www.wowo.co.uk/index.php/home Don't go the lakes before June.

After a lifetime spent holidaying in a caravan there, I'd probably amend that to 'Don't head to the lakes, unless you love the cold and rain."
  • Been camping for the past two years in November.  No tents, just a tarpaulin in the woods in the middle of nowhere, a few mates, an axe or two for tree felling (for the fire), a few sausages/rolls etc, a hacksaw, some sleeping bags and a bottle of this:

shine_on_georgia_moon_corn_whiskey.jpg

...And a harmonica.
  • Get a leatherman and a proper Zippo.

Leatherman is a good call.
  • They combine "being sensible" with "buying shiny sharp things"

I have a mild obsession with sharp tools.
  • From the first trip:

campingd.jpg

Also from the first trip.....one of my mate's decided not to brave the elements, and brought along a tent that he'd bought a few months earlier 'on the cheap'.  He had mentioned it was a child's tent, but we no-one was expecting THIS:

img2011111200349.jpg
  • Where do you go moot? I've never felt confident to wild camp in case I'm actually in someone's back garden or the local dogging spot.
  • Loads of nice camp sites in Devon and Cornwall, and in Wales / the borders near the Forest of Dean.

Good places to start:
    http://www.coolcamping.co.uk
    http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk
  • Other tips:

ALWAYS practice putting the tent up before you go. And ALWAYS take the right poles........

And get a ground sheet.

And don't eat inside the tent.
  • Every single fucking time i've ever been camping an earwig has somehow materialised inside the tent. I really don't know how they do it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Have done it once or twice when I was younger and enjoyed it. Nowadays I'd be more into trying a camper van out with the wife and kids. The wife thinks roughing it is having to walk to the end of the corridor to the ice machine.

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Oh yeah, take blow-up mattresses, and don't leave the fucking battery-powered pump at home.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message

Join in, krs!
  • n0face wrote:
    Where do you go moot? I've never felt confident to wild camp in case I'm actually in someone's back garden or the local dogging spot.

There's a paintballing place near Ruxley Wood in Sidcup.  We just park up by that and follow a courier from my office on a winding path through the wood until he finds what he calls the 'caveman' site.  He's 57, and reckons he camped there every four or five weeks for twenty years starting in the early 80s.  He can start fires with twigs and stuff, and tells some good stories about camping on acid.   It's so deep in the wood no-one's likely to see the fire, so we just chance it. 

There's an abandoned camp site a few hundred yards away from where we set up, with odd wooden wigwam things, which looks like a sort of Mary Celeste scene with plates and whatnot untouched for years.  So we sat in that and watched The Blair Witch Project on my phone and then spent the rest of the night doing the 'Vern with the gun' scene from Stand By Me.
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    If you fancy a bit of North Wales (which you should) then there's loads of great sites near Beddgelert and Capel Curig; you're slap bang in the middle of Snowdonia.

My dad and I used to stay at the Forestry Commission site just outside of Beddgelert; lovely spot with good facilities and the gentle roar of a mountain stream lulling you to sleep if you choose the right pitch.
    Then we both realised that we weren't getting any younger and after a hard day on the hill, the lure of a duvet and a full English to follow proved too much so since then it's been a cracking B&B in Betws-y-Coed.

Still miss the stream. I have very fond memories of pitching by that stream.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Gorgeous bit of Wales.
  • Escape
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Futurscapes
    Xbox
    Futurscape
    PSN
    Futurscape
    Steam
    Futurscape

Send message
    Are we on to the dogging, yet?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    We're too south. Go coastal.
  • metagonzo wrote:
    If you fancy a bit of North Wales (which you should) then there's loads of great sites near Beddgelert and Capel Curig; you're slap bang in the middle of Snowdonia.

My dad and I used to stay at the Forestry Commission site just outside of Beddgelert; lovely spot with good facilities and the gentle roar of a mountain stream lulling you to sleep if you choose the right pitch.
    Then we both realised that we weren't getting any younger and after a hard day on the hill, the lure of a duvet and a full English to follow proved too much so since then it's been a cracking B&B in Betws-y-Coed.

Still miss the stream. I have very fond memories of pitching by that stream.
    North Wales is definitely on the list for the summer, was thinking about a trip there for good Friday weekend but the and a half hours seemed a bit far for a trial run.

• metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    Yeah, summer's a good shout. At least you'll be cold and wet instead of freezing and wet. :D
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!