Resident Evil
  • Also, Tempy and Sparky, sorry I didn't get around to co op'ing with you but it's probably for the best. I saw the lag doing hilarious things when I joined someone actually ruining cutscenes by pausing the action, unbelievable. Still, it's a demo, it would be mad if that stuff carried through to the final version.
    XBL: DJ Rick Joyce
    PSN: P-BAP
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finally got my Wii wired up to my my PC monitor (via component then HDMI, so it actually looks better than i was expecting).  

So I'll be giving my REmake a crack before long.  Not being able to use the GC controller on the Wii menu still bemuses me - surely not that hard to fix, Ninty! - and I'm needing to move a cable to get the speakers picking up this rather than my PC, but I can still see myself finally getting through this and some other Wii/GC backlog - hurrah!
  • acemuzzy
    Show networks
    PSN
    Acemuzzy
    Steam
    Acemuzzy (aka murray200)
    Wii
    3DS - 4613-7291-1486

Send message
    Finally got a memory card (courtesy of metagonzo), so I have now embarked on REmake.  Having said that, it appears I'm a bit of a scaredy cat!  So this could be slow going...
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    How come no-one has posted the news that you can invade other players campaigns ala Demon/Dark Souls?

That's like, the greatest thing ever!!!
  • If the game doesn't suck, yes, that will be quite excellent.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Having said that, it appears I'm a bit of a scaredy cat!  So this could be slow going...

REmake has a wonderfully oppressive atmosphere. Enjoy!
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Resident Evil 6 achievement list revealed.

Probably chock-full of spoilers. Click at your own risk.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Resi 5 with curtis was stonking good fun.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    acemuzzy wrote:
    Finally got my Wii wired up to my my PC monitor (via component then HDMI, so it actually looks better than i was expecting).  

So I'll be giving my REmake a crack before long.  Not being able to use the GC controller on the Wii menu still bemuses me - surely not that hard to fix, Ninty! - and I'm needing to move a cable to get the speakers picking up this rather than my PC, but I can still see myself finally getting through this and some other Wii/GC backlog - hurrah!

There's a couple of Res Evil light gun games for Wii - Umbrella Chronicles and Darkside Chronicles - not bad at all. The levels are made up of remixes of older games and in some cases fill in some plot gaps - nice fan service fodder even if the genre isn't one for extended play.

Anyone got an opinion on Res Evil 0 for GC?

Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yeah, It's not the best, but it's better than CV.

I've got both gun games. They're fine.

I'm very excited for 6 now. Tempy and I got a team going.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    Anyone got an opinion on Res Evil 0 for GC?

I loved it when I played it, but that was a while ago. You can probably pick it up for peanuts, so you may as well give it a punt.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Actually, the Resi games command decent prices on GC.
  • Bought 4 yesterday. Think I've only ever played up to the first boss on the PS2 version. 

Might tackle 5 after that.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    Actually, the Resi games command decent prices on GC.

Really? Weirdness. 0 is worth a go though, I did enjoy it back in the day.

3 remains the only numbered Resi that I haven't completed.
  • 0 is one of the weakest traditional Resi's in my opinion just before CV which is my least favourite. I suppose it depends on what you value in the games but the swapping inventory stuff is a chore and it's completely forgettable. I mean obviously 2 looks pretty mucky these days but it's got a lot of excellent ideas like the overlapping scenarios and memorable characters like Chief Irons ("...and to think taxidermy used to be my hobby!" said the campy villain version of Mike Haggar.), Hunk and the T-103.

I would say up until 4 they were on a downward spiral, I'm not that fond of 3 either to be honest. It's an average game saved by Nemesis.
  • 4, 2, 1, 3, CV in that order. Never finished 0. Meh about 5. Series died.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • Yep, exactly the same order here but I'm hanging around like a battered spouse.
  • Remake is fabulous, truly gorgeous and so tense. Crimson Heads were a fabulous addition, as were the defence items, sticking three knives into a hunter's face out of terror and watching him still get back up is brilliant. It remains the only game to have made me jump more than once or twice in a play-through. I didn't have a huge problem with 0, but it wasn't brilliant. Rebecca was a great character though, sticking her in a tiny room against a hulking titan was a typically brilliant Resi move. The merchant and the combining of treasure was a stroke of genius, as was the inventory system. Some of the puzzles are a little tedious but I'll forgive it that because it is frequently fantastic the rest of the time.

Four is probably King to Remake's Queen, not as subtle or refined but utterly dominating and bolshy, a perfect blockbuster experience that makes most yank AAA games look dull even with their slicker control schemes. It was chock full of excellent ideas and suitably huge and impressive bosses that crib from all sorts of pop culture staples. 

Five gets a bad rep partly because it came after 4 in my opinion. Playing it over the past few weeks with Reg has showed me that for every poor decision there is a neat one. Being split up often works quite well and it is frequently relentless and nail biting. Graphically it is stupendous, save for some screen tear, but most importantly it is so camp it is unreal. If you can take the utter schlocky nature of Commando, that's basically what Resi 5 is: 4 on steroids with it's brain smashed up and dragged out of it's nose by a bloody hook. Frequently awful but full of terrible movie cliches and pompous heavily scripted action. Some sections need tidying and shortening, but you can't have it all. The boss and miniboss encounters are exceptional as always, and it ends in a fucking Volcano. If they'd let you play it without Sheva in solo mode, it would have been much better. As it happens, co-op is a blast.
  • Personally not interested in co-op. What I played of it in singleplayer didn't tickle my fancy. Annoying bitch, no tense or suspense etc.
  • Nope, no tension at all. Never the point with 5 though, it's about things exploding. If you don't like co-op then, well, 5 isn't for you as its entire experience was built around co-op. S'like buying a racing game and expending an FPS or something. It is horrible in single player, but I've played it twice in co-op and on the whole really enjoyed it. How can you not enjoy a villain who is channeling Bowie from Labyrinth whilst dressing like Neo. HOW CAN YOU NOT.

Also: "CHRIS" "WESKER" "CHRIS" "WESKER" "CHRIIIIIIIIS"

• Hmmm. Might give co-op a try at some point, but it's not a priority for me.
  • Oh yeah, and REmake is indeed fucking fantastic, but I just love 2's structure.
  • hylian_elf wrote:
    Hmmm. Might give co-op a try at some point, but it's not a priority for me.

It shouldn't be, but with the right person it is a hoot.
  • Resi 5 was good fun in co-op. Especially on the hardest difficulty but with all the awesome upgrades. Upgraded rocket launcher with unlimited ammo was amazing and took out most bosses in one hit. The game is a nightmare in single player as Shive is pretty frustrating.
    Gamertag: aaroncupboard (like the room where you keep towels)
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I WAS THAT PERSON.

I'm more than happy with where the series is going. There's games out there doing that survival stuff if you want it, and you're never going to get Resi doing an Amnesia with the scale of the games now. So what to do? Make the whole thing as fucking big and ridiculous as possible. I've played every Resi, several more than once (although only once for 0, CV, 5 and 3) and they all have horrendous decisions in them. ReMake is probably the most consistent if you're looking for horror and atmosphere - even 4 goes fucking apeshit at points. 

Treat RE6 as a sort of shonky Gears / Uncharted and it'll be great. I can't wait for it, and my ridiculous Co-Op experience with Tempy has me buzzing for it to drop and spray us with green herbs all over again oh my.
  • I hope there is a shoot the president QTE
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    THERE WILL BE AND WE'LL HAVE TO DO IT 4 TIMES
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Here's the only way Wesker could be better - 

• Wesker should have been all the villains in Resi 5, with multiple personality disorder.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I completely forgot about the boat chase bit. Fuck 5 was alright, eh.

JILL WESKERTINE

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!