Xbox
    DorkSirjur
    PSN
    DorkSirjur
    Steam
    darkjunglist84

Send message
    Tempy wrote:
    It's a far smarter game if you can get past the wonkiness of he controls, which is where 7 easily usurps it as it has the small enemy counts of the original with the claustrophobic combat of 4. It just takes a real dive after you open the door, and despite some good parts, it never gets back to those highs. I understand the need to move away from the Mansion set up, but they don't make great use of the area you're in, wheras the original treats its setting as a giant puzzle in and of itself. I also think the section after the pounding music is a total let down, they should have kept that shot going on, it feel anaemic walking through it when it's quiet. Also those mould cunts are boring as fuck until the penultimate level.

Yeah I can understand your complaints and it was my reaction on first seeing them, as you saw up above, but I felt the story and plot, despite being nonsense, kept it going at a fair old whack. I'd need to revisit the first to refresh my memory as its 20 years ago since I played it, but I can't handle those controls now.

Plus as Syph says, them videotapes. The 'puzzle' one had me stumped for a good half an hour.
  • It picked up tremendously for a while and there were some great sections, but I've now reached the
    Spoiler:
    and the will to carry on has evaporated. Very tedious.
  • Ship is shit.
  • I kinda enjoyed that area as I did about 75% of it with no weapon due to being clueless, and I thought having the tables turned on you was really great after the big boss prior to it, but the second time I found a gun really quickly and it was boring.
  • It was probably the visual monotony that got to me most, especially after the house, which was monotonously grimy but always interesting to explore, with some neat rooms and clever shortcuts.

That said, the wee caravan in the garden was probably my favourite bit so maybe I'm too hippy for this game.
  • So I finally finished Resident Evil 0.

It really is a good classic Resident Evil game. Problem was in 2002 no one really cared, which was a shame but also understandable.

Playing in 2017 it was refreshingly old skool and I loved it for it, I enjoyed it almost as much as REmake.

The biggest complaint I have is the tedious item management. It's worse than ever in this game, mainly due to the dual character setup.

It also ran out of steam a bit towards the end, the final third wasn't put together as well as the rest, it became a bit linear and dull.

Good fun overall though.

3/5
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I'm also playing through RE0 atm on pc.
    First play through and mixed feelings about it. Graphically a decent Remake but gameplay wise environments feel cramped. Perhaps it's due to the dual character setup, perhaps it's due to the item drop management sans magic chest; environments just feel smaller and cramped compared to other Resident Evils.
    Gameplay is classic Biohazard with added fiddly item micro management. It may be more realistic dropping items at will but it kills the pace of the game. Wading through menu's sifting through items is just tedious. You get used to it but it but it drags the pace of the game needlessly down.

In short, good game with shitty item micromanagement. Still worth a playthrough if you enjoy old skool RE.

Oh, and the bat is a cheap mofo boss. Game is stingy on herbs too.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Not sure what one to do next...

RE3? Probably not, always felt like the weakest link from what I played, plus I only have access to the PSone version which will look very dated.

RE:CV? Just spontaneously picked up the re-re-re-release on PS4 in the sale.

RE7? The front runner for sure, but I'm waiting for a sub £20 price point.

REmake 2? Will probably be out by the time I'm ready for more RE.

I've done all the other main entries plus the two Revelations.

What are the 3 above like?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I always liked RE:3 but it is one of the weaker entries, and I'm not sure I could play through it as it would be incredibly dated.

CV will be better but upon replaying it myself not so long ago it felt so very slow, but still a good entry.

7 is more than worth its money, in my opinion. I'd gone through it 3 times within days as I didn't wanna put it down.

They're all good but I'd go 7-CV-3, but to be honest they'll all be a good playthrough dude.
  • Yeah, I wonder about playing any of the PS1 games now. I got into 3 a lot, and played it through a whole load of times. Nemesis is a a neat addition to the formula (which is good because it doesn't do a lot that 2 didn't otherwise).
  • Cool, cheers guys.

Will probably leave 3 and hope for a remake tbh.

What's everyone's fav entry btw?

I think mine is 2 followed by 4, 5, REmake, 0, R2, R then 6.

I've enjoyed them all, a solid series for me.

オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Remake is probably my favourite. Got into it again when it was on PS+ last year.

Then probably 2, 4, 3. Not really fussed about the rest.

Still want to play 7 though. Also waiting for a bigger price drop (or a lend).
  • 2, Remake, 3, CV, 0.

The rest I don't like.
  • If we're anything to go by, it's no surprise Capcom have decided to remake 2.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4,2,Remake,7,5,6,3,0,CV,Revelations and then a million miles back Revelations 2. Despised that, enjoyed the rest.
  • Play 6 and that'll change ;-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • If we're anything to go by, it's no surprise Capcom have decided to remake 2.

It's the best of the old style to be fair. Very clever design.
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Aye. Built on the first well, added great puzzles, a lovely opening area, genuine replay-ability, and iconic enemies in the form of the Licker.
  • If you enjoyed 2 give 3 a chance as they are very similar. Some ammo crafting is introduced as well as a last second dodge. Nemesis is the Mr.X of the game chasing you relentlessly. Not really new but it keeps you on your toes. 3 also sees the debut of the mercenaries sub game.

Code Veronica was memorable for the jump to rt gfx and the Leo Dicaprio cameo appearance. Also introduced Super Wesker to the lore as well as the all new CV virus. Biohazard always had an obsession with mutated beasts, CV is no exception.

CV has probably aged better than 3 so go with that one. If you're a fan you should play both at least once though.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Birkin's G-Virus mutations trump any designs before or after.

Super Wesker can go straight into the actual bin.
  • Play 6 and that'll change ;-)

Damnit I forgot 6!!

Added to the list! I like 5 and 6 as awesome fun co-op games, totally different style but there's great fun to be had going through with a mate!
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Play 6 and that'll change ;-)

Damnit I forgot 6!!

Added to the list! I like 5 and 6 as awesome fun co-op games, totally different style but there's great fun to be had going through with a mate!

Agreed, that's why 5 ranks so high for me, I've never even played it in single player.

What did you dislike about Revelations 2 so much? Don't get me wrong, it is at the low end but the co-op added to it just like 5 & 6.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • hunk wrote:
    If you enjoyed 2 give 3 a chance as they are very similar. Some ammo crafting is introduced as well as a last second dodge. Nemesis is the Mr.X of the game chasing you relentlessly. Not really new but it keeps you on your toes. 3 also sees the debut of the mercenaries sub game.

Code Veronica was memorable for the jump to rt gfx and the Leo Dicaprio cameo appearance. Also introduced Super Wesker to the lore as well as the all new CV virus. Biohazard always had an obsession with mutated beasts, CV is no exception.

CV has probably aged better than 3 so go with that one. If you're a fan you should play both at least once though.

Thanks for all that, you've definitely made 3 sound more appealing although I think I'm at the stage of holding out for a remake tbh.

I'll do CV next as I just picked it up on PS4, will give it a few months though, I don't want to burn myself out on RE.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • One thing I forgot to say about RE0 is how short it was.

My completion time came in at 7.5hrs.

I did die a fair few times which invariably leads to speed running when replaying, but I thought 7.5hrs seemed really short.

Does the items menu not count towards your time? If not that would easily be another hour or two right away.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Verecocha wrote:
    Play 6 and that'll change ;-)

Damnit I forgot 6!!

Agreed, that's why 5 ranks so high for me, I've never even played it in single player.

What did you dislike about Revelations 2 so much? Don't get me wrong, it is at the low end but the co-op added to it just like 5 & 6.

It just didn't seem to have any kind of personality, neither crazy stupid actiony like 5 or 6 or even creepy soap opera interesting like the others. The visual style didn't feel Resi and I just felt like it was a really poor imitation of the series. But if I'm honest I could give it more of a chance as I only got a couple of hours in and just really wasn't enjoying it.
  • Like other series which span decades it depends which one you first played. I started with RE2 (my fav). RE1 and RE3 and Code Veronica were all great. Of the new style visuals then gotta be RE4.

After that they've gone to "action" rather than survival horror. Also Dead Space 1 is basically Res Evil in space and an awesome game. Notice a pattern? Dead Space franchise was also fucked with when they decided to go more "action" than survival horror.
  • Played through the free 'Not a Hero' DLC episode on RE7.

More action-oriented than most of the main game, because Chris Redfield obvs, but there are some good sequences in there and it ties up one of the major loose ends. Decent size too, just over 2 hours.

Worth a go if you've still got the game hanging around.
  • I've got the Gold edition under the tree, looking forward to it.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2
  • Assume that includes the paid DLC too?

I'm playing through the main game again now too. I have some minor issues with it, but it's really well done overall.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!