Histrionic History (not exclusively)
‹ Previous12
  • Bits of things about that time what was before now where things happened that were interesting or affecting and that etc.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unit_731

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_war_crimes

Spurred on by reading about Unit 731 after the X-Files episode. I read about shitty stuff the Japanese did in the Wind Up Bird Chronicles, but I didn't realise the extent of it, if all the rumours of Unit 731 are correct. They also did a lot of bad things during the war that never really seem to get mentioned that often, and then there was the Occupation that a small contingent of radicals still refuse to acknowledge if I recall. There is interesting stuff to read about their textbooks too.

So yes, interesting bits of history that are a little off the beaten path, if you please.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Well he's pretty well known I'd say.

Edit: not looking for nastiness, just things on the periphery, which a lot of the stuff about Japan in WW2 is.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
  • Haha, yes that's more like it. I first heard of this a few days ago when the Bitcoin thing was going crazy. History eh?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Not sure how much of this is common knowledge but its an interesting chapter in British history which it seems few people I talk to know about.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mau_Mau_Uprising
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    Also this.
    The remarkable story of Hamilton Naki and his little known place in medical history.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamilton_Naki
  • metagonzo
    Show networks
    Xbox
    MetaGonzo
    Steam
    metagonzo

Send message
    I found this to be quite interesting, in a rather disturbing way.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohka

Continuing the Japan theme.
    XBL, iOS, Steam: metagonzo
  • http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Tandey
    Although disputed, there is a story that Adolf Hitler and Tandey encountered each other after the battle at Marcoing (in October 1914, whilst Tandey was serving with the Green Howards). A weary German soldier wandered into Tandey's line of fire. The enemy soldier was wounded and did not even attempt to raise his own rifle. Tandey chose not to shoot. The German soldier saw him lower his rifle and nodded his thanks before wandering off. The soldier was later identified as Lance Corporal Adolf Hitler of the 16th Bavarian Infantry Regiment. Hitler later saw a newspaper report about Tandey being awarded the VC (in October 1918, whilst serving with the 5th Battalion Duke of Wellington's (West Riding) Regiment), recognized him, and kept the clipping.[7]

Tandey, now a war hero, was featured in a painting, commissioned by the Green Howards Regiment, by Italian artist Fortunino Matania, carrying a wounded soldier at Ypres. In 1937 Hitler asked Tandey's old regiment for a large photograph of the painting, which was sent. Captain Weidmann, Hitler's adjutant, wrote the following response: 'I beg to acknowledge your friendly gift which has been sent to Berlin through the good offices of Dr. Schwend. The Führer is naturally very interested in things connected with his own war experiences, and he was obviously moved when I showed him the photograph and explained the thought which you had in causing it to be sent to him. He has directed me to send you his best thanks for your friendly gift which is so rich in memories.' Hitler also obtained a copy of Tandey's service record.

In 1938, when Neville Chamberlain visited Hitler at his alpine retreat, the Berghof, for the discussions that led to the Munich Agreement, he noticed the photograph and asked about it. Hitler replied, "that man came so near to killing me that I thought I should never see Germany again; Providence saved me from such devilishly accurate fire as those English boys were aiming at us". He also asked Chamberlain to convey his best wishes and gratitude to Tandey. Chamberlain promised to phone Tandey in person on his return, which he did.

A deeply unpleasant man:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kurt_Franz
    Kurt Franz also had experience as a boxer before arriving at Treblinka. He put this training to sadistic use by victimizing Jews as punching bags. On occasion he would "challenge" a Jew to a boxing duel (of course the prisoner had to oblige), and gave the prisoner a boxing glove, keeping one for himself and giving the other glove to the prisoner, to give the illusion of a fair fight. But Franz kept a small pistol in the glove that he kept for himself, and he would proceed to shoot the prisoner dead once the gloves were on and they had assumed the starting boxing position.
  • Here's a few...

Not that obscure, but sufficiently horrible that it probably ought to be better remembered than it is - Holodomor.  Over 3 million died, but thanks to controversy about whether it was a deliberate act of genocide, or an inadvertent consequence of soviet industrialisation, people in the West at least seem largely unaware of it.

On a happier note, there's the rather amazing Antikythera mechanism.  It's a "computer" (or more accurately an astronomical clock) from 100 BC.

Being something of a pacifist the stories that most interest me from the wars are those detailing the extraordinary lengths people went to to pull off a bit of subterfuge.  From the fairly well know Operation Mincemeat (the one with the corpse and the faked papers), and Operation Copperhead (the one with Monty's double) to the US Ghost Army and the intricacies of Operation Fortitude (which arguably facilitated the Normandy landings).

I like the story of Keizo Miura.  Nothing world shattering, but I find the tale of a 100 year old man celebrating his birthday skiing down a mountain with 4 generations of his family disproportionately pleasing.

Finally, it's not a news story, but I often get asked for tales about weird and wonderful stuff I've seen in the day job, of which there are many, but I can't describe them because of confidentiality.  So instead I tend to fall back on this rather bizarre account from the BMJ.  "Diagnosis made by hallucinatory voices" (Annoyingly you have to sign up to get the full article, though the introduction gives the main punchline.  It is however more wonderful and bizarre than the brief summary might lead you to believe.  Might copy and paste if anyone desperately wants to read it all and can't face signing up.)
  • Fantastic stuff here.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    I discovered Unit 731 after finishing Antony Beevor's book The Second World War, which I can heartily recommend. Awful stuff. As Tempy has mentioned, you don't hear as much about it as you do the German 'experimentation'. The saddest thing about it is the number of them that faced no war crimes trials, ending up in fairly lofty scientific and political positions. The other horrible thing that doesn't tend to come up as often as, say, the Nazi concentration camps or the Soviet gulags, is the systematic use of human meat in the Japanese forces. Cannibalism wasn't just a last resort survival method, but an organised activity centred around the forced labour prisoners. It was so widespread and so horrific that no one was charged with cannibalism (technically a war crime) after Japan surrendered, as the US realised that there would be too many people to put through trials, and that the rest of the world would be simply unable to believe it.

Talking of the Antikythera Device...
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phineas_Gage
    Phineas P. Gage (1823–1860) was an American rail­road con­struc­tion fore­man now remem­bered for his im­prob­a­ble[C] sur­vival of an accident in which a large iron rod was driven com­plete­ly through his head, destroy­ing much of his brain's left front­al lobe, and for that injury's re­port­ed effects on his per­son­al­ity and behav­ior, effects so profound—at least for a time[2]—that friends saw him as "no longer Gage".

The Only Pair of Matching Singing Bird Pistols, Attributed to Frères Rochat

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marvin_Heemeyer
    Marvin John Heemeyer (October 28, 1951 – June 4, 2004) was a welder and an automobile muffler repair shop owner most known for his rampage with a modified bulldozer. Outraged over the outcome of a zoning dispute, he armored a Komatsu D355A bulldozer with layers of steel and concrete and used it on June 4, 2004, to demolish the town hall, the former mayor's house, and other buildings in Granby, Colorado. The rampage ended when the bulldozer got stuck in the basement of a building he had previously destroyed. Heemeyer then killed himself with a handgun.
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Regarding 731, wasn't part of the experimentation the effect of low/high pressure environments on the human body involving LIVE people? The fucking shits.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Bollockoff wrote:
    Regarding 731, wasn't part of the experimentation the effect of low/high pressure environments on the human body involving LIVE people? The fucking shits.

Among other 'experiments', yes.

Apparently the bloke who built the Antikythera Mechanism in Lego also built Charles Babbages' Difference Engine.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • I've been reading about this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_walled_city
    Its a city which has since been knocked down and replaced by a park but was a city unto itself for about 30 years. There are much better pictures and information not in the wiki but i've lost the links :(
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Sup guys. phineas Gage was also referenced on the old X Files- Scully compared Duane Barry to him.

Also I saw that Antikythera clock on holiday in Athens last year. TRUE FACTS.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    And a real life x file for you. what the hell happened in the Dyatlov Pass?
  • regmcfly wrote:

there is alot of evidence pointing to some form of hysteria where they all went mental and killed eachother.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Fortran Times did a good investigation of that story a few years back, with a very credible explanation. But I forget. Something about gas.
  • Re the Japanese in China WWII. 
    A lot of older generation Chinese that lived through it, understandably, still hold massive grudges with the Japs. Mostly because as others have mentioned they flat out refuse to acknowledge anything or apologise. Same with the Koreans and the 'comfort women'
    My fiancée's grandmother told her stories of how when the gran was a child in Hong Kong during the occupation her mother cut her hair and dressed her like a boy as the soldiers where spot raping just about any woman and child they came across. It's was ok you see because the upper echelons told them the Chinese where inferior.
    Live= sgt pantyfire    PSN= pantyfire
  • Japanese war amnesia is a bit scary. I've had the odd awkward conversation with locals where I've literally had to explain how shit their history textbooks are.
  • Awkward for them, obviously. I felt righteous as fuck.
  • thats got to be weird

how did they react?
  • Hard to tell with these inscrutable orientals innit.
  • Good morning everyone! 

I don't mind telling you,  I've been feeling a bit down lately but I managed a good nights sleep last night and awoke to find a shiny new thread to get involved in. So, what's it all about then?
  • Weird/unibvious history, doesn't need to be grim, Tin Robot had a good one about a 100 year old skier.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:

That FT article, in full. Worth a read.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    John Law, a British economist and banker. Fucked up the French economy and was the cause of the Mississippi Bubble. How times change.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Law_(economist)
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good, more of this sort of thing.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!