Cultural observations
‹ Previous12
  • So we've got quite a few people who live/work in different countries or have traveled a lot. So this is the place to share those little observations which may come as a surprise. Some may be interesting, others might not. But share all the same.

I can only do Germany, and many of you will be familiar with some of these already, but here they are

- Men are widely expected to sit down to piss
    - Nobody wears cycle helmets ever
    - Beer is the cheapest drink available in a bottle
    - English people are known as "island monkeys"
    - Dutch people are known as tight-fisted caravan owners who feast exclusively on potatoes
    - The French are still mocked for surrendering a lot. I find this kind of funny
    - There's a much more noticeable and vocal left-wing section of society, many quite 'radically' so. I can never tell how closely this ties into the counter-facism movement
    - German anarchists love football
    - Most Germans i have met feel a much stronger affinity to their region than the wider country. I've not once heard someone say they are proud to be German, while near enough everyone i meet is proud to be born in Hamburg/Berlin/Munich.
    - Mr. Sheen the cleaning spray is titled Mr. Proper in Germany. I also find this funny
    - All the regions have their own stereotypes. The people from Munich are ultra-conservative and wealthy. Berliners are mental. The people from Hamburg are stuck up.
    - Nobody likes Munich except people from Munich
    - Germans have words for almost everything. That last sip of beer that has gone a bit warm and lost its fizz? They have a word for that. The friend who asks to have that last sip of beer you obviously don't want? They have a word for him too. 
    - I've heard many people say to me that German is the best language for poetry as you can be much more specific and accurate with the meaning you're trying to convey. Again, i find this funny.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Everybody from every country thinks their country is the best country in the world and can prove it in any number of ways.
  • I'm from Earth. It has a lot of problems.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I'm not sure you are.
  • Japan can't srsly be a fascinating mystery to anyone on the Web at this point so I'm just going to stick to food and alcohol reports in the relevant threads.
  • I'm sure there's got to be one or two overlooked aspects of Japanese culture.

A few more German ones

- You can go to prison for not opening your letters. They have a word for it
    - The fine for being caught smoking on a train is 10euros. Many consider this worth paying
    - There's a big cultural acceptance of the obligation to recycle. They're much more into this environmental stuff than British people were 
    - There's a big cultural rejection of the idea that dog shit is a problem. It's fucking everywhere. People laugh when i told them in England many people pick it up
  • Cleaning up dog shit is the number one reason I couldn't have a dog.

I'd have to move to the country first where no one cares about it.
  • - People also laugh when i tell them a night out in England finishes at 2 or 3
    - At least in the North (aside from Rostock, the home of homophobia and racism), homophobic language is massively rejected. On the rare occasion i've heard someone say 'gay' in a pejorative manner someone has always spoken out
    - There is a saying. Roughly translated it's something like this- "going to Berlin and having a girlfriend is like turning up to the pub with a warm can of beer in your pocket".
  • The last one is precisely what in doing in July/August, ha.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I saw someone picking up dog shit the other day- though that's the culture where I live. They even cleaned up a bronze statue this week removing decades of graffiti from the stone plinth.

Germany

-there are laws allowing bestiality.

as for people shouting at you for not doing your recycling noxy just say "jawohl herr blockwart!" and salute.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • I'm considering a trip to Berlin.

*unrelated to beastiality.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I was looked at in an odd way in Berlin when I crossed the road before the green light at the crossing - got the feeling I had committed a minor misdemeanour.....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    In Edinburgh you don't get salt and vinegar on your chips, you get "salt and sauce". Said sauce is also known as "chippy sauce" and is a combination of vinegar and HP sauce.

It's vile and if you order it you should be ashamed.

I'm looking at my fiancée as I type this.
  • Love that sauce, imo the best thing about Edinburgh chips.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    regmcfly wrote:
    a combination of vinegar and HP sauce.

I read this and thought 'doesn't HP have vinegar in it anyway?', checked wikipedia and discovered that brown sauce has a malt vinegar base. How much vinegar do you need?
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Yossarian wrote:
    regmcfly wrote:
    a combination of vinegar and HP sauce.

I read this and thought 'doesn't HP have vinegar in it anyway?', checked wikipedia and discovered that brown sauce has a malt vinegar base. How much vinegar do you need?

Dunno- as I said, people who order it are vile. Looking at Igor now too.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    The one o clock gun still goes off here too
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    I was looked at in an odd way in Berlin when I crossed the road before the green light at the crossing - got the feeling I had committed a minor misdemeanour.....

If there were kids near that's a faux pas as you're setting a bad example. Otherwise go for it.

In hamburg on some crossings they have two red men stop signs. There's a word for them that means 'really red'.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    It's actually illegal to cross the road in Germany when the light is green, as far as I know. You can be fined, even if there's no traffic.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    I crossed in front of approaching police the other week, there are crossings with no lights. M'be Berlin isn't Germany?
  • In West Bromwich the chips are orange, I'm not sure how or why but they are and in the black country you can get them battered.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    beano wrote:
    I crossed in front of approaching police the other week, there are crossings with no lights. M'be Berlin isn't Germany?

Dunno, that's what some Germans told me anyway. And someone Spanish who was actually fined.
  • Not surprised to hear that you can get fined.  I crossed a large, open and empty road in Munich while the red man was showing.  None of the locals crossed until they were meant to.

I also got a talking to from a cop on a scooter in Vigo, Spain for crossing without getting a signal.

I'm a serial Jaywalker.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Closest I've got to being fined was a cop in Vancouver who used the loudspeaker mounted on the roof. "Will the English kid please not jaywalk." I did get fined in Madrid for trying to jump a turnstile on the metro. Can't remember how much, was hella wrecked.

Loads of locals jaywalk in Berlin. Less there are kids about or if there aren't any lights at said crossroads or crossing.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    How did he know you were English?
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    British are generally recognised abroad by poor sense of fashion, apparently.
  • Or just England football shirts.
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    No idea. He was neighbourhood and he'd done the same thing to my sister a few times. She lived there there for years. He'd probably seen us together before.

He must've found jaywalking laws pretty laughable.
  • Canadian really are lovely, friendly and polite. And Canada is nice and clean.

And a little bit dull.
  • That last sip of beer that has gone a bit warm and lost its fizz? They have a word for that. The friend who asks to have that last sip of beer you obviously don't want? They have a word for him too.

I speak a bit of German, I'm intrigued, what are these words?
‹ Previous12

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!