Scottish Independence: #IndyRef2
‹ Previous123456764
  • The discussion is only just starting up just now so I thought I'd get a thread going. 

What are your thoughts?  Desperate to get away from under Westminster control, thinking we're better together or just don't give a fuck?

What will it mean for Scotland, England and anywhere else you care to mention?

Is this Braveheart inspired folly or the realisation of a nation's true potential?

Are the Tories the best thing to happen to the 'Yes' campaign?

My thoughts:  I've never been sold on it.  A lot of the rhetoric from the 'Yes' lot seemed to be playing on silly feelings of revenge for the backstabbing politics that went on for the forming of the Union rather than from any logical or reasonable standpoint.  So I've never been here nor there on it.

That said in the last few years there has been evidence brought forth that seems to show that Scotland isn't the financial basketcase that many think it is.  And the prospect of a Tory free existence has merit.

At the moment I am undecided.
  • Go for it :-)

Will be interesting to watch what happens, I'm not fussed either way to be honest.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    You need terrorists.
  • Fuck independence. It's an idiotic idea.

no thanks

g.man
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • People have been voting SNP because Labour being shit for decades has caught up with them, not because they're nationalists. I don't think there's much real support for independence, it'll only happen if the tories make a huge mess of things down south. The 'No' campaign could tip some people over the edge though, cause they look hopeless.
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Kow wrote:
    You need terrorists.

If those fuckers become independent and leave us with Tory governments for the rest of our lives, I may be willing to oblige.
  • If Scotland goes, England will never get rid of the Tories.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Independence is dumb. No thanks.
  • I'm against this purely because of the insane amounts of money the Scottish government will spend on pish when it tries to rebrand everything 'scottish'
    Not to mention all the consultants, administration and middle management that will appear from nowhere that will need to be funded.
    I will end up paying more taxes, petrol will go through the roof and ill end up moving.
    So no.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh god. Independent Scotland or GOVE'S ENGLAND?!?

Sophie, make a pick.
  • regmcfly wrote:
    Oh god. Independent Scotland or GOVE'S ENGLAND?!? Sophie, make a pick.

Ireland eh?
  • I_R wrote:
    People have been voting SNP because Labour being shit for decades has caught up with them, not because they're nationalists. I don't think there's much real support for independence, it'll only happen if the tories make a huge mess of things down south. The 'No' campaign could tip some people over the edge though, cause they look hopeless.

Yeah the 'No' campaign is a shambles.  They don't seem committed to or capable of arguing their case.  Danny Alexander (who's name I got by Googling 'Lib Dem Beaker') was on Newsnight last night discussing the issue of currency.  He was pointing out that Scotland wouldn't have its own currency.  When he was asked if Scotland could just use the pound (with an agreement) he dodged the question completely.

Coming onto discuss these things then shirking away from the questions really makes it look like the 'No' campaign has nothing of substance and is doing more harm than good.

IMO they need to find a non-tory figurehead and really buck up their ideas.
  • How much of Scottish life is subsidised by taxpayers? Do Scotland get any perks that people in England don't get? I've heard rumours of heavily subsidised University education and medication, but am unsure if this is true. What happens if Scotland becomes independent if these are the case?
    Also, maybe the No vote is doing a purposefully bad job to get rid of Scotland from the Nation's tax bill
    Town name: Downton - Name: Nick - Native Fruit: Apples
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Rab is all for independence.

Me, I keep forgetting this isn't rhetoric.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • Sas: University tuition and prescriptions are free.

If independence happened - and remember, it won't - the theory is that and independent Scotland would cut spending elsewhere to cover those costs. The more cynical theory is that the SNP use the independence debate to squeeze more cash out of Westminster and make themselves more popular.
  • So what does independence actually mean? Do they still get money from other UK tax paying countries?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • It means FREEEEEEEEEEDUUUUUUUUUUUUUMMMM!!!

Sorry.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    So what does independence actually mean? Do they still get money from other UK tax paying countries?
    No, it would be a separate country, we'd just have to share the royals.
  • I_R wrote:
    MattyJ wrote:
    So what does independence actually mean? Do they still get money from other UK tax paying countries?
    No, it would be a separate country, we'd just have to share the royals.

I see. So how will it affect UK? As in, can England, Wales and Ireland get by without Scottish tax?
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    What happens to the military? Also would they have to renegotiate membership of the EU and NATO. Who gets North Sea Oil?
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    I have heard that the city of London contributes more in tax revenue than Scotland entirely. I have no idea as to the validity of that statement.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    I see. So how will it affect UK? As in, can England, Wales and Ireland get by without Scottish tax?
    They should be able to. The oil would be more of a problem. There's also nowhere to base Trident outside of Scotland.

There's a mass of complicated stuff like share of national debt, maritime borders, EU and NATO membership, currency, postal service and telecoms that would all be a massive pain in the arse to sort out after independence. There's also loads of people up here that wouldn't call themselves unionists, but probably would if they had to think about this stuff.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Postal service and telecom shouldn't be a problem as all that is privatised anyway isn't it?
  • beano
    Show networks
    Wii
    all the way home.

Send message
    Elm mentioned something about military a while back; he works for the British armed forces.

I guess we'd have to rent the sites off of Scotland...this is all kerzayzee.
    "Better than a tech demo. But mostly a tech demo for now. Exactly what we expected, crashes less and less. No multiplayer."
    - BnB NMS review, PS4, PC
  • UK government is the only shareholder in Royal Mail. 

Having your telecoms infrastructure owned by a foreign company seems a bit odd as well. I'm assuming the same could be said for the railways.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Edit: @beano

So do I, nothing has been mentioned really regarding what would happen should they become independent.
  • GooberTheHat
    Show networks
    Twitter
    GooberTheHat
    Xbox
    GooberTheHat
    Steam
    GooberTheHat

Send message
    Cheers I_R, wasn't aware of the Royal Mail thing. Thought it was properly privatised now.
  • Successive governments North and South of the border have spend great amounts of energy destroying the union. Devolved powers, stupid mayors, increasing focus on the home counties, titting about with infrastructure.

Is it any wonder people are sick of it.
  • It would be great place to start Yoss' and EC's society experiment. Get independence and then as you'll have a subsistance economy you can eradicate money..... And chairs.... And have one guy making battered Mars bars 2 days a week.
  • They'd make them for fun on the other 5.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    I've no problem with bits of land on an island being owned by different people. I've just never heard a good argument for what the benefits are.

Surely there's loads of stuff that's currently provided by national (UK) organisations that they'd have to either replicate or rent in (for some reason I always think of air traffic control).

I don't think you'd ever be able to have a completely clean break, so will end up with a massive fudge. Much like the one we have now but multiplied by a thousand. So what's the point?

How does North/South Ireland do it?
‹ Previous123456764

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!