Recreational Drugs
  • metascrawl wrote:
    Solpodol is 30/500 so you were getting 60mg per dose rather than the 16mg you get in cocodemol. That I can believe would provide significant pain relief.

Solpadine is what I generally have taken for severe toothache. A quick check seems to indicate that this has 12.8mg per tablet, so 25.8mg per dose.
  • True true. If 26mg does something then I guess it is conceivable that 16mg could. Although the fact that Solpadine Max sits right next to Cocodemol on the shelf behind the counter still makes me question why anyone would go for the latter. "Ow, I'm in pain! No, not that stuff - the weaker, less effective stuff please."
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    I regret the volume of drugs I did as a young lad, if not the experience. I let them get in the way of study and other things though, which was quite a big problem and has undoubtedly affected my path in life. Magic Mushrooms were a very weird one; one time was simply hilarious, and one time almost everything that could go wrong went wrong. Had an amazing time recently with my first smoke in 3 years. Great company, a little bit to toke, and some cold beers. And cheese. I won't say who with 'cos it's not my place to, but it was great. And I'm fairly sure it made me amazing at Street Fighter, even if only for a very short while, haha!

I could hazard a guess.
  • Cheese, the king of grown up munchies.
  • I don't like the term 'legal high'. Its a swizzy marketing technique by drug peddlers to push untested and unverified bullshit.

No it isn't, it's a media term for uncontrolled and effective drugs. Any 'drug peddler' that marketed any psychoactive drug using the term 'legal high' would be arrested. It's illegal to sell any drug, even ones that aren't controlled under law in terms of sales, for the purpose of human consumption. Vendors use the euphemism 'research chemicals' and explicitly state that they are not to be used for human consumption - and therefore could not constitute any kind of 'high' - at every stage in the process, from the t&c's you sign up to when making an order online to warnings on the packaging. That's the major loophole that allows all this to go on. The user agrees not to take the drug when they buy it, because it isn't a drug at all you see? It's a research chemical. By taking the drug they break the agreement, so it's their lookout, not the vendor's if anything bad should happen.

Anything marketed as a 'legal high' has been thoroughly tested - to make sure it's completely inactive and therefore legal to sell for human consumption. There used to be a lot of that stuff around in the late nineties and early 2000's, but I haven't seen any recently - presumably because 'research chemicals' are a much more profitable line of business as they actually work.

So that's the situation - anything that says 'this will get you fucked!' on the packaging won't have any effect, and anything that says 'strictly not for human consumption' will probably get you fucked.

Anyone that actually uses effective legal drugs usually stick to the euphemism 'research chemicals', or 'RCs.' I only ever really see the term 'legal high' used in the media or by people online who who don't use drugs.
  • Yossarian wrote:
    I could hazard a guess.
    I'm sure you could. :)
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Ironically the only drug that affected me really badly was a lousy anti-malaria drug. Made a mess of me, perhaps permanently. Malaria would have been infinitely better.
  • I don't take drugs. I dont smoke either.
    I occasionally have a drink. Maybe just one drink at the most.
    I don't see the attraction myself to taking these chemicals where the long term effects haven't been studied.
    Are drugs bad? No they are just chemicals. The way in which the distribution of chemicals are carried out can involve actions where innocents are hurt. That's bad.
    Legalise it and therefore control it.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • You druggie cunts, grow up.
  • Put the beer down, Griff. You're being drunk and abusive again.

And you've made me think about my conduct, so fuck you.
  • Pffft, I was the PA-BAH-LOW ES-KA-BAH of Windsor. I had a team of bare chemists knocking out all variety of proxies. You can snort coke with the Nigerian diplomat at his embassy until the cows come home. But when you extricate yourself from that circle you realise how fucking sad it all is. Keep drinking the cough mixture Mr Venezuela.
  • Trudat.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    CRANKSTER101.
  • Hahaha
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Lord_Griff wrote:
    Keep drinking the cough mixture Mr Venezuela.

The correct technical term is 'sizzurp.' 'That drank' will also suffice.

A friend just told me that a classmate of hers at uni was talking about doing 'mushrooms and mirrors' which turns out to be a combination of magic mushrooms and cocaine. Why anybody would want to combine those two drugs is completely beyond me. Although I never really could understand the appeal of cocaine in any case.

I smoked crack once a very long time ago, which did feel very nice indeed for about twenty five seconds and then I wanted to die. Bill Clegg's short, brutal memoir Portrait of the Young Man as an Addict is about his freebase habit which in its final stages caused him to burn through $70,000 on a two week long crack, vodka and male prostitute binge by the end of which he was very nearly dead. It makes Junkie seem like a P.G. Wodehouse novel in comparison. Unflinchingly painful stuff.
  • Drug song quote o' the day:

When I'm smoking, put my worries on a shelf
    Don't think about anybody, try not to see myself
    Tell me tell me, what have I done wrong?
    Nothing goes right for me
    Must be I been smoking too long

- Nick Drake
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    Did him a world of good.
  • ^ O.D'd on his antidepressants, likely intentionally. 'Black Eyed Dog' which was one of his final session recordings is the most haunting song about depression I've ever heard - "A black eyed dog he called at my door / The black eyed dog he called for more / A black eyed dog he knew my name / I'm growing old and I want to go home." Chilling.

It's not clear whether or not he used recreational drugs, there's not much evidence either way. 'Been Smoking too Long' obviously is written from the point of view of an addict, but it's a bluesy type song in the vain of 'Cocaine Blues' (which he also recorded a lovely version of) so it might well be written from imagination, influenced by drug-referencing blues stuff. Lou Reed wrote 'Heroin' from the perspective of an addict, but he wasn't addicted to junk then or at any other time (although I think he did develop something of an amphetamine habit around the White Light/White Heat era). Tomorrow's quote shall be from 'Sister Ray' I've just decided.
  • Kow
    Show networks
    Twitter
    Kowdown
    Xbox
    Kowdown
    PSN
    Kowdown
    Steam
    Kowdown

Send message
    I thought he was fairly well know to be a big weed smoker. First album is called Five Leaves Left, after all.
  • ^ Actually you are right of course - weirdly I'd never taken that meaning from that title, but it does seem pretty obvious. I was thinking more of opiates - although hash is mentioned in 'Been Smoking...' so is opium, and lines like 'go to take me a shower but the water don't feel no good' seems like he's talking about opiate WD. Of course it is perfectly possible he did use such drugs but like I say there's not much evidence. The weed didn't help him any I'm sure, even if that was all he was up to. But often in these cases over-use of cannabis is a symptom rather than a cause of mental illness. Just one of a complex of self-harming (and possibly self-medicating) behaviors.
  • The thing about cheese is it's real hard to keep on the DL. It smells so goddamn strong even in its inert state that rolling a joint of it stinks out the immediate vicinity before you've even sparked up. It's impossible to skin up in a public place without everyone smelling just what's going on. It's a testament to its high grade nature, but it makes it very hard to be discreet with. Given the choice I'd go for less stanky shit, even if it's significantly weaker. But I don't much care for weed these days anyway, so it's a moot point as far as I'm concerned.
  • This has crossed into brass eye territory now.
  • I may have had a beer when I first read this thread, but didn't it start as a cautionary tale, not an exercise in glorification and recommendation?  Weird.
  • Yeah, I'm not unaware of the irony what I did with this thread. However I do see this as a place where people can say what they've got to say about drugs, good and bad, in an honest way. I haven't intentionally written in the spirit of 'glorification' but I can see how I might come across that way as I've made no secret of the fact that I enjoy drugs. Maybe I should dial my enthusiasm down somewhat. But there are plenty of people who have posted cautionary things about drugs here, and I have admitted in my own posts that they have their dark side as well as their enjoyable side. I don't think its wrong for people to write about positive experiences they've had of drugs though - I don't see that as glorification, just honesty. I don't see the stuff that was written about Nick Drake as glorification or recommendation for example. He killed himself and it was made pretty clear that his drug use may well have contributed to that.

As far as I'm concerned, drugs have added a fascinating and enjoyable aspect to my life, in terms of my own experiences and in terms of aesthetic objects I have encountered, particularly prose writing, that have been informed by drugs and have inspired me. But drugs have also caused me trouble and pain to quite an extreme degree that I wouldn't wish on my worst enemy and which I could have spared myself by leaving drugs alone. I would never recommend drugs to anyone. But I don't see anything wrong with having a frank discussion about both the pain and pleasure of drug experiences.
  • I'm talking about actual cheese!
  • I wasn't criticising, meta, I still find it fascinating because even if I had an interest, I wouldn't be able to partake because of my job.  I'm perfectly happy that my lifestyle choices mean I have to be pretty strict and law-abiding, but I do find it interesting.
  • I've got the best drug in the world. Want to know what it is?

It's Jesus with a capital "J". You need to let the Lord enter you for the highest of highs. Amen. I love you all.

Remember WWTDD.
  • Sex with Jesus? Ok then Griff, sign me up.
  • Woo, excellent. We will all fit together like Christian Lego

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!