DLC
  • So DLC.
    Is it important to you when you buy a game? 

What should it consist of? 
    Should it be more of the same or should it be the same game but with remixed (experimental) gamemechanics? 

Is that last option even possible due to the financial risk involved?

Personally I don't ever really bother with dlc altho I can imagine it being important in certain genres like FPS with map packs galore. Still extra content is always welcome especially if it's FREE.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Bollockoff
    Show networks
    PSN
    Bollockoff
    Steam
    Bollockoff

Send message
    Artorias of the Abyss DLC for Dark Souls is an example of a fairly priced chunky piece of content i've enjoyed. Interesting expansion to the game world, unique NPCs, enemies, magic, weapons and equipment. Also expanded on some of the lore of Lordran without harming the general tone of mystery the games enjoy.

I'm sure there's plenty of examples both for DLC done right and done shit. All in all I think it's a good idea that allows developers to stagger content development and release stuff that they might otherwise couldn't have managed at all if they were concentrating on just the main game release.
  • Goddammit, I love your avatar!
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Curtis
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Curtis Rolph
    Twitter
    CUR715
    Xbox
    CUR715
    PSN
    C_R
    Steam
    CUR715
    Wii
    CUR715

Send message
    DLC is commonplace, and takes the piss. We're all mugs. The end.
  • I like the Borderlands DLC.  Some nice changes of pace or in the case of Moxxi, a different type of game style altogether.  Knoxx was a huge expansion, enough to make me think it wasn't just cut out of the game.
  • Said this in Gears thread but: Get the game right and I'll purchase any and all addons. Better that than having to buy a whole new title.
  • I'm happy if its substantial like add-ons of yore, or free and trivial.

Best illustrated by examples, I would say that good value substantial DLC includes things like Pixeljunk Monsters Encore, Wipeout Fury, and by the looks of it Super Luigi U.

Great bits of trivial DLC for free are things like Crackdown's Keys to the City which serve as cheat unlock codes.

Ripoff DLC includes anything like CoD/Halo map packs for 1200 points, Namco 800kb unlock keys for extra costumes and paintjobs (Ace Combat 6, Beautiful Katamari), and car packs for PGR2 where they made you pay a second time on 360 if you wanted them back again.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Brooks wrote:
    Said this in Gears thread but: Get the game right and I'll purchase any and all addons. Better that than having to buy a whole new title.

I do miss those first Gears 3 days.
  • Sleeping dogs added some nice dlc to its content. It also added it for the sake of it in terms of costumes.

Need for speed most wanted seems to have content that should have been present in the original release.

Far cry 3 has some decent stuff as well that added value.

I guess for me, that's what I comes down to. Am I being sold something that should have been in the original game? Does it encourage developers to release a base copy, almost a framework, and then charge you for content?
    Good topic btw @hunk
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Vela wrote:
    Ripoff DLC includes anything like CoD/Halo map packs for 1200 points

Halo map packs are 800 points.
  • As long as the DLC's price is directly in line with the amount of content provided, I'm okay with it. Though I should state that this content must add to an already complete game, not basically charge players extra to see the whole of a game for which they've already paid.
  • I love a good bit of DLC later in a game's life that makes me go back to it. But I like to see effort gone into it for the funds I spend. Recent examples?

Revengeance Sam dlc was disappointing. £8/800 MSP, and it's a short chapter with same assets. It came shortly after game release too. 

Dishonored Knife of Dunwall is good. Completely new areas, character, enemies, and it's pretty meaty. 

When done well, I do like idea of DLC. But more often than not, it's exploitative.
    I am a FREE. I am not MAN. A NUMBER.
  • DLC is great at extending a good game's lifespan without being too expensive.

If DLC was around during the last gen, I'd have happily paid for the missing dungeons in Wind Waker.
  • That song they did about guns and rappers was cool. Also put south wales hip hop scene on the map a bit.
  • I've never really played any DLC, with the exception of the two Alan Wake chapters (of of which came with free the game anyway), a question pack for Scene It!, and all the Trials Evolution stuff.  I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.  If it doesn't ship with the game I generally can't be bothered with it, and will complete what's on the disk before moving on to something else.
  • That song they did about guns and rappers was cool. Also put south wales hip hop scene on the map a bit.

I liked the one about Scooby Snacks.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I've never really played any DLC, with the exception of the two Alan Wake chapters (of of which came with free the game anyway), a question pack for Scene It!, and all the Trials Evolution stuff.  I can't think of anything else off the top of my head.  If it doesn't ship with the game I generally can't be bothered with it, and will complete what's on the disk before moving on to something else.

Pretty much this. 

Bar the odd song in some music games, and the extra challenges in NSBM2. 
    I will get the Luigi DLC though.
  • Moto70
    Show networks
    Twitter
    @jsm147
    Xbox
    Moto 70
    PSN
    MotoSeventy
    Steam
    [kia]_permian
    Wii
    Moto70

Send message
    Forza Horizon has a good example of both, the Rally Expansion has new cars, courses, game modes and achievements but costs money whereas the 1000 Club has new challenges and is free but also adds achievements where some of which (or possibly all) can only be achieved by spending money on further DLC.

As a whole though I don't mind DLC when the balance of content and price is decent, get one of these wrong and that's when it starts tasting sour...
  • Vela wrote:
    Ripoff DLC includes anything like CoD/Halo map packs for 1200 points
    Halo map packs are 800 points.

They are? Shows how long its been since I bought any then :D

Cursory research shows me that most of the 800MSP packs have three maps in them.
    Comparison with CoD map packs shows me they have about 4 maps per pack, but some are 800 and some are 1200 MSP. Makes it harder for a like-for-like comparison then.

In any case, I can't say I've been a fan of them in any game for a long time since in my experience they only ever split the community. Especially with three or four games vying for attention of the same group.
    "Sometimes it's better to light a flamethrower than curse the darkness." ― Terry Pratchett
  • Yossarian
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Yossarian Drew
    Steam
    Yossarian_Drew

Send message
    Bungie/343 seem to have managed to avoid splitting the community rather well. At launch there's a DLC playlist for a couple of weeks, but then the maps are just thrown into the regular playlists. Anyone an enter a playlist, but only those with the maps get the opportunity to play them, with your matchups being weighted towards others who have the maps alongside the usual skill level etc.

No split community and I see new maps pretty regularly.
  • It categorically doesn't work for racing games, it doesn't just split the community, it always seems to do it in an annoying way. The rally expansion in Forza Horizon seems like an attempt to go in a different direction, but I remember the announcement of it getting a pretty negative reaction that might actually have contributed to the poor sales of the game.

I hardly ever feel like more campaign in a single player game, GTA is probably the only exception to that I think this gen and they're in a unique position of being able to tell a different story, just using the same city as a background. Cutting chapters out of the disc is a definite no for me.

I will buy maps for shooters if I'm invested, but I'm not a fan of the £70 game and that's what we're moving towards. The whole season pass thing is bullshit of the highest order. Was anyone still playing Max Payne when the last DLC came out?

I'll give Dice credit for not penalising people who don't buy the BF3 DLC in any way, but I wonder if that policy will last into BF4. Strangely enough, if they'd bundled the premium maps on a disc a year after BF3 came out, and fixed some of the obvious problems, I'd have probably paid them £40 then. I'm pretty certain they'd have sold more than the 3 million premium passes.
  • I wasn't prepared to pay for game modes as regards BF3. The vanilla game only boasts Rush, Conquest and Deathmatches, charging for non-essential modes like CTF and Gun Master is pushing it for me.

I tend to wait till DLC is reduced before plunging, I'm usually done with a game after a playthrough, so by the time a price cut comes round is good enough reason to jump back in. Exception was the 'Nam Bad Company 2 expansion because BC2 was all the awesome.
    GT: WEBBIN5 - A life in formats: Sinclair ZX81>Amstrad CPC 6128>Amiga 500>Sega Megadrive>PC>PlayStation 2>Xbox>DS Lite>Xbox 360>Xbox One>Xbox One X>Xbox Series X>Oculus Quest 2

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!