Gadgets, Tech, etc.
  • https://youtu.be/ZB413S8KDmo

This appears to be saying that those cheap ikea speakers are basically play 1s.
    I'm still great and you still love it.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    That's why I steered clear of Sonos, cracking software, never thought the hardware was anything special at all
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Sonos are suing Google. They want to sue Amazon as well but decided they can only afford to take on one of them at a time.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/01/07/technology/sonos-sues-google.html
  • I fail to see how this ends well for them.
    Come with g if you want to live...
  • Sonos on the way out, confirmed.
  • When I get around to getting a new pair of speakers, it will probably be these - Adam T7V

A decent price for what seems like a very solid studio monitor (they're sold singly so you buy two to make a pair). The Adam A7X and A8X monitors that I've heard before have been quite superb, the A8Xs in particular are the absolute business, I would like to end up with a pair of those.

A properly flat sound profile always sounds the best to me, not sure why anyone would want anything else. Music is (or should be) mastered using a flat sound system, and that's how it should be listened to IMO.

Cheap/midrange professional audio gear always seems to outperform the higher end consumer stuff, like with headphones or audio interfaces/DACs.
  • I literally picked up a sonos beam this weekend gone. Things great!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • When I get around to getting a new pair of speakers, it will probably be these - Adam T7V

A decent price for what seems like a very solid studio monitor (they're sold singly so you buy two to make a pair). The Adam A7X and A8X monitors that I've heard before have been quite superb, the A8Xs in particular are the absolute business, I would like to end up with a pair of those.

A properly flat sound profile always sounds the best to me, not sure why anyone would want anything else. Music is (or should be) mastered using a flat sound system, and that's how it should be listened to IMO.

Cheap/midrange professional audio gear always seems to outperform the higher end consumer stuff, like with headphones or audio interfaces/DACs.

Want.
  • When I get around to getting a new pair of speakers, it will probably be these - Adam T7V A decent price for what seems like a very solid studio monitor (they're sold singly so you buy two to make a pair). The Adam A7X and A8X monitors that I've heard before have been quite superb, the A8Xs in particular are the absolute business, I would like to end up with a pair of those. A properly flat sound profile always sounds the best to me, not sure why anyone would want anything else. Music is (or should be) mastered using a flat sound system, and that's how it should be listened to IMO. Cheap/midrange professional audio gear always seems to outperform the higher end consumer stuff, like with headphones or audio interfaces/DACs.

They look great. I spent a while in the weird world of hi-fi. I realised all this expensive kit is changing the sound for the sake of changing it. My favourite pair of speakers ended up being some old Sony things i purchased second hand and didnt even have banana plugs, shock horror!!
  • Yeah I'm using some old Musical Fidelity speakers my Dad gave me, can't even find an image that matches them. There's a little dip in the low mids but overall the clarity is excellent, far better than most modern hi fi stuff.
  • Did swappsies on my big cerwin vegas for 4 smaller ones and subbie. Kept the bookshelves. Gave the small floors to my dad and have the woofer in the cupboard for now. 

The bookshelves are awesome.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    Good bookshelves are a delight. I enjoy my KEFs very much, and try not to think of the $7k active Dynaudio bookies I heard which were astoundingly good.
    Djornson wrote:
    and didnt even have banana plugs, shock horror!!
    get out

Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • b0r1s
    Show networks
    Xbox
    b0r1s
    PSN
    ib0r1s
    Steam
    ib0r1s

Send message
    Has anyone setup or used a mesh network at home? If so, any recommendations. There are a lot out there and different sites are giving different pieces of kit the top slot (probably due to some back handers).
    SW-2099-8822-2505 - Boris - Goldenisle - Apples
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took delivery of a wifi/DAB/FM tuner for my hifi today. Brand is Hama who I think used to make MP3 players way back.

The DAB tuner found a ton more stations than my portable DAB radio so I have that as well as the wealth of content on the internet radio. Listening to a blues station now. :)

Tried looking for some podcasts but they haven't worked - will need to investigate that though it's the music I'm after which works fine.

It has Spotify built in but I don't have a sub for that - daughter #2 does though.

It also acts as a bluetooth speaker for phones etc and there's a USB port on top of that.

Sounds good through my amp. Wasn't that expensive and it's pleasing having it as a unit instead of just bluetoothing from a phone and apps. The buttons don't feel high quality but the remote is the main way to use it and it's well laid out. There's multi-room capability too - not sure what that's about - there are several output ports on the back of it - must read the manual.
  • b0r1s wrote:
    Has anyone setup or used a mesh network at home? If so, any recommendations. There are a lot out there and different sites are giving different pieces of kit the top slot (probably due to some back handers).

Even though you might have heard more and more about it these past months, mesh network have actually been around for a while. It is not a temporary tech hype. They have considerable benefits that will bring us a step closer to a seamlessly connected world of people and things. I am still unsure to use it without a VPN service considering the state of cybersecurity.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!