theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii
    Not Wii - 3DS: 0146-8922-2426

Send message
    Finally. The celebrity phone endorsement all the major manufacturers were vying for.

andy-dick-windows-phone.jpg?e83a2c
  • Who is winning the phone OS war re: fecundity of app community? Because that will determine which smartphone I eventually plump for.
  • Brooks wrote:
    Who is winning the phone OS war.

Google and Apple.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Brooks wrote:
    Who is winning the phone OS war re: fecundity of app community? Because that will determine which smartphone I eventually plump for.

Apple are obviously the clear leaders, then Google but it's picking up a lot of negative press around mallware apps, MS are bringing up the rear but catching up fast. Marketplace has just crossed 90,000 apps.

Kinda depends how far off piste you want to go. Windows Phone and Android has all the 'major' normal apps, Apple are way way ahead in the games department though.
  • No one gives a fuck about developing for Windows mobile but it shares enough similiarity with android development.

First it's iPhone.

If you have budget you might do Android.

You'll only do Microsoft if you're specifically paid to do so or you see success on the other platforms first.
  • Might all turn around depending on how Metro / WP8 fares. 
    Devs could theoretically package the same app for use on PC, tablets and phones, if I've understood all this stuff correctly.
  • I can only see Android gaining more and more traction.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I can only see Android gaining more and more traction.

Why?

The piracy rate is so high, mixed with the amount of costs involved to port from iOS - it's not a particularly good investment at the moment.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2012/04/20/piracy-rate-on-android-version-of-football-manager-is-91/
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    monkey wrote:
    Might all turn around depending on how Metro / WP8 fares.  Devs could theoretically package the same app for use on PC, tablets and phones, if I've understood all this stuff correctly.

The Silverlight question is still hanging I think. If devs have used something else the porting is simple enough. Win 8/RT to phone should be simple enough if as expected WP8 takes the Win8 kernel.

Did you see this?

http://wmpoweruser.com/developer-demoes-real-time-windows-phone-7-vs-windows-8-game-play/

Also, it's Windows Phone not Windows Mobile.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    You'll only do Microsoft if you're specifically paid to do so or you see success on the other platforms first.

The large selection of exclusive apps suggests you're talking out your trumpet again.
  • Ftr I'd like MS to win because their junk looks the most to taste
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bullshit Mod, I am certain that that won't be true. Also is piracy still rampant on Android, Google made a big song any dance about it being much better since Gingerbread. Though that doesn't mean everyone will upgrade. I am liking IceCreamSanger very much
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    The large selection of exclusive apps suggests you're talking out your trumpet again.

What are these exclusive apps you speak of?
  • WorKid wrote:
    Screen_Shot_2012-03-20_at_15.41.52.png

But that's a chart showing the quarterly sales of each OS.

It has no correlation to the amount of money/downloads from the various app stores.
  • I think tablets are an interesting battleground too. I see a lot of cheap Android tablets flying.
  • WorKid wrote:
    I think tablets are an interesting battleground too. I see a lot of cheap Android tablets flying.

Yeah, a guy in the office swears by his Galaxy tablet.

But if I'm honest, they're all much of a muchness. I have an iPad 2, a Blackberry Playbook and a Kindle Fire. The fire is by far the worst of the bunch, but that's nothing to do with the OS and all to do with the hardware.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    google wrote:
    I can only see Android gaining more and more traction.
    Why? The piracy rate is so high...

Answering your own question there, dude...

Piracy plays a strong part in the adoption of these things, with VHS as a poster child for the
    theory.

As for the Windows phone being bobbins... Roujin was showing me his the other day*... It's a very impressive bit of kit. Can't remember which model it was but the first thing I noticed was the build quality of the hardware itself...

Remember the awe that KITT from Knightrider, inspired in out ickle kiddy brains way back when?
    Twas' like that... But embodied in a real product...

...And I'm not usually all that impressed by tech (except maybe the iPad).
    If Microsoft can find one good application for the thing, then they'll do well with them, but what exactly? Games (umm... yawn)? Sat Nav? Web browsing? 

I personally find tablets more interesting right now... 
    Strange seeing how popular iPads have become.

*And he showed me his Windows phone... : P
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • Answering your own question there, dude... Piracy plays a strong part in the adoption of these things

Is that still true?

The only recent example I can think of is the PSP which had massively high piracy rates and failed as a result.

I liked my Galaxy S2 but the reason I moved back to iOS was because of it's app store. The ease of use and bulletproof in software just doesn't exist anywhere else right now. 

Google play (is that what it's called now) is a sad, sorry state of affairs at the moment.
  • dynamiteReady
    Show networks
    Steam
    dynamiteready

Send message
    google wrote:
    I liked my Galaxy S2 but the reason I moved back to iOS was because of it's app store. The ease of use and bulletproof in software just doesn't exist anywhere else right now.

Don't get me wrong... I'm very happy to see the business model work so well. But for all it's (iTunes... or whatever) high profile success, it's no where near as lucrative as what Bill Gates did almost 25 years ago, and what Google's doing now ('hands off' brokerage).
    "I didn't get it. BUUUUUUUUUUUT, you fucking do your thing." - Roujin
    Ninty Code: SW-7904-0771-0996
  • google wrote:
    Don't get me wrong... I'm very happy to see this business model work so well. But for all it's (iTunes... or whatever) high profile success, it's no where near as lucrative as what Bill Gates did almost 25 years ago, and what Google's doing now ('hand off' brokerage).

If Google could get the store to work as well as Apple's and have some way to protect itself against the nasty gubbins, I think you'd see a lot more people invest.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    google wrote:
    Mod74 wrote:
    google wrote:
    What are these exclusive apps you speak of?

The apps made by developers for WP but no other platform.
  • The commonly held belief about Android is that there's no money in it. That might be a fallacy but its widespread enough amongst devs that they don't give it their main focus. 

Not just piracy, its also about the number of free apps that a paid product competes against. 

Android has the most users but comparatively fewer prepared to pay any money (did an edit on that sentence). That's probably down to the comparatively lower cost of most of the products (i.e. they have more cheapskates buying the phones in the first place). Its also due to the nature of the market (multiple vendors racing to the bottom), the perceived problems in rolling out an app amongst multiple devices running different / tweaked versions of the OS and piracy. 

So Apple has fewer users but higher spending per user. 

MS is using Apple's locked down model of app selling, has minimum criteria for hardware that make it easier to target different phones, but less users. So it wouldn't need to overtake Android to start getting higher priority from devs. Just start gaining a sufficiently large share. Then its inherently easier and more profitable market will take care of the rest. If they can get 20-25% of the Western market, you might start to see Android slip to 3rd in developer's priorities. 

That's the theory anyway. 

From my experience of trawling through job ads, most of the Android dev focus seems to be on providing companies with 'mobile solutions'. There's not many people out there thinking they can make a go of producing an app themselves and charging for it. Not the case with iOS.
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    Developer interest in developing for Android has been dropping for a while. It's still high obviously but the trend is downwards.

See also

http://techcrunch.com/2012/05/15/3997-models-android-fragmentation-as-seen-by-the-developers-of-opensignalmaps/
  • I have a Nokia Lumia 800 and its a very stable phone. The wifi, bluetooth everything just works without any mucking around really. 

As for the apps, you could argue that there isn't as many and there aren't all the amazing apps you would expect to see on a high end Apple or Android. 

I did find though that I collected apps on my LG Optimus but didnt really play that many of them. Like GTA when it came out - It was like - ooooh GTA! ill get that.  Its still an oldish game and I can play better on my PS3.  I found my interest waned quite quickly.  there were so many on my phone that I ended up giving very little of them the time they deserved. 

I get access to gmail, FB, twitter, Linkedin. shopping list, bbc news. I dont really need anything else.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • Show networks
    Twitter
    theubermod
    Xbox
    Mod74
    Steam
    Mod74
    Wii

Send message
    I use a combined RSS reader rather than provider specific ones. Although I do have the BBC and Guardian ones installed.

There's loads of news readers on the marketplace, free and paid. I use Weave, it's a paid for one but very good.
  • Wife's looking to get a Galaxy Note. Had a play with it in the shops today, looks amazing. Big, yes, but amazing.

Anyone used one for real?
  • If you're a tinkerer, and don't mind getting your hands dirty with rooting etc, then the only choice is Android in my opinion. You can just do so much more with Android, more easily (having to jailbreak each new release of iOS gets annoying fast).

Personally own an iPhone because I got one ages ago and am now locked in: I don't want to spend hundreds of pounds on the same apps in Android or WP7. But seeing a friend playing SNES, megadrive, classic PC, PS1 etc emulators on his Sony Experia Arc made me very jealous. HTC actually give away a boot loader tool for all their phones, allowing you to install any number of Android variants and personalise your phone beyond anything available to the other environments. You could easily get a WP7 skin for your Android if you wanted.

As for apps, the Play store leaves a lot to be desired but you can find most of the same stuff you can get on iOS and more besides.

Finally, there's the sheer choice of hardware. The HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3 destroy the iPhone 4S in almost all respects, it's not even funny.
  • Funkstain wrote:
    Finally, there's the sheer choice of hardware. The HTC One X and Samsung Galaxy S3 destroy the iPhone 4S in almost all respects, it's not even funny.

I'm not an expert on such things but I would imagine the huge range in specs is another reason devs have a preference for developing for the iPhone, which is largely standardized within it's range.
  • I think devs like developing things for iOS because it appears that iOS customers are more likely to spend money, and more of it, on applications than Android customers. Source: countless tech articles available through google with lots of stats, such as iOS gamers spending 5 times as much as Android brethren (May 2012).

The fragmentation of Android is an issue, but keep up with the latest tech (an upgrade every 1.5 years or so) and you should be able to keep ahead of the problem.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!