PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Man's one of the greats in my eyes

The Sodajerker boys got him in for their 100th episode, well worth a listen

https://www.sodajerker.com/episode-100-jason-isbell/

edit: I probably find myself playing Something More Than Free a little more often than Southeastern though. No slight on Southeastern mind, just a wonderful artist
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Will give that a listen tomorrow.  His lovely wife supported Prine at the Palladium and joined him for a couple toward the end. 

Isbell's great at picking covers to play live too.

• He's involved in this one too.  Which everyone should watch because it's one of the best things ever:

• New Margo Price is excellent, much better than her promising yet overrated first.  Has more of a Muscle Shoals sound, with a couple of quality slow numbers (and a duet with Willie).

The album closer is absolutely doing it for me atm, I hadn't realised quite how good her voice was beforehand.  One for Cocko maybe?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RhSivaqJhFA

Petty reference packs an extra layer of wallop.

• Dunno why that's not working in tags.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Ooh, is this a new one. I recall grabbing last years album, but Google Music tells me I didn't give it a lot of listens, but I rarely trust those numbers as they seem to often reset themselves. Refreshing myself now, lovely voice but she hits a lot of typical country tropes though and that might have put me off somewhat

Will give the new one a listen over the weekend though
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Happy Enchilada, makes me smile every time.

I only just listened to this - that little anecdote is hilarious!  Great song too - I only knew about the Miranda Lambert version.

Thanks for sharing and good work in general with this thread Moot.  There's been some great recommendations.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Glad you're enjoying it.  I've got music on for most of my working day but I'll never do a shift without listening to a spot of country. 

Have a bit of Lucinda from just after she released Car Wheels On a Gravel Road, which will never, ever drop out my top 10 of all time.

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    cockbeard wrote:
    Sturgill Simpson just posted this on Facebook, and wow, it will loss him a few friends in Nashville, but thank good he has the balls to say what he thinks
    http://www.musicrow.com/2016/08/acm-creates-award-to-celebrate-merle-haggards-legacy/

Many years back, much like Willie and Waylon had years before, Merle Haggard said,
    "Fuck this town. I'm moving." and he left Nashville.
    According to my sources, it was right after a record executive told him that "Kern River" was a bad song. In the last chapter of his career and his life, Nashville wouldn't call, play, or touch him. He felt forgotten and tossed aside. I always got a sense that he wanted one last hit..one last proper victory lap of his own, and we all know deserved it. Yet it never came. And now he's gone.

Im writing this because I want to go on record and say I find it utterly disgusting the way everybody on Music Row is coming up with any reason they can to hitch their wagon to his name while knowing full and damn well what he thought about them. If the ACM wants to actually celebrate the legacy and music of Merle Haggard, they should drop all the formulaic cannon fodder bullshit they've been pumping down rural America's throat for the last 30 years along with all the high school pageantry, meat parade award show bullshit and start dedicating their programs to more actual Country Music.

While Im venting about the unjust treatment of a bonafide American music legend, I should also add, if for no other reasons than sheer principal and to get the taste I've been choking back for months now out of my mouth, that Merle was supposed to be on the cover of Garden & Gun magazine's big Country Music issue (along with myself) a few months back.
    They reached out to both of us in October of last year while I was on a west coast tour. Merle was home off the road so I took a day off and traveled up to Redding.
    He was so excited about it and it goes without saying that I was completely beside myself along with my Grandfather who has always been a HUGE Merle fan. We spent the whole day of the interview visiting in his living room with our families and had a wonderful conversation with the journalist. Then we spent about two hours outside being photographed by a brilliant and highly respected photographer named David McClister until Merle had enough...he was still recovering from a recent bout of double pneumonia at the time and it was a bit cold that day on the ranch.
    But then at the last minute, the magazine's editor put Chris Stapleton on the cover without telling anyone until they had already gone to print. Don't get me wrong, Chris had a great year and deserves a million magazine covers...but thats not the point.
    Its about keeping your word and ethics.
    Chris also knows this as he called me personally to express his disgust at the situation. Dude's a class act.
    The editor later claimed in a completely bullshit email apology to both Merle's publicist and ours (Chris and I share the same publicist) that they didn't get any good shots that day.
    David McClister..
    2 hour shoot..
    no good photos..
    OK buddy,..whatever you say.
    Anyway, Merle passed away right after it came out.

Some days, this town and this industry have a way of making we wish I could just go sit on Mars and build glass clocks.

Sturgill

I know quoting myself is a silly thing to do, but this was last August. Bloke sticks to his guns, love him a little bit even more right now. Punk

Last night

oaEfQ7Y.png
  • Might have that facial expression as a new avatar.  Love it. 

• Any excuse:

love the way he wrenches his voice through and out of the gears like ol' Waylon at 2mins 15.
  • Love it. What a class act.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Yup, absolute dude, plus with the added bonus of making damn fine music to back up his actions. Though even without it, I'd still massively respect his internal consistency, willingness to bite the hand that feeds, and respect for his fellow artists

Top, top, top, bloke. Couldn't sleep last night, and loved watching this unfold
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Shame about the video, but this cover is lovely. I'd not heard of the bloke before but he can definitely play

• Good stuff.  I need Amanda to hug 'n kiss.  

• Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Might have that facial expression as a new avatar.  Love it.

I've also been practicing the Sturgill face and have now added it as my avatar in company-wide chat systems. Is a good look.
  • It's a knowing, mid-quality hash taking the edge off four hour's heavy drinking look that either says 'I'm boss' or 'I think I've just pooed myself, boss'.
  • It's also telling me to play this at high volume, so I will.

• I hope you appreciate I stopped Danny Dyer's World's Hardest Men to put those on.

Rest easy, my friend. That first Waylon track I recognise from a gta, no? Fucking top tier my man, top tier.

The second one is just starting... will report back...
  • Man Buddy's the absolute don, and Waylon ahh fair play to him. Fucking class son.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Love it moot

Made me pop off over here

That track is just one reason why Merle was great, just take it everywhere

I also kinda love this one even if a bit more trad, right in the feels

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Totally not country, but I love this track, think Lydia referenced it once upon a time, and it was on the side bar when listening to Merle

edit: found it

• First Merle song up there is one of the greats, best thing he ever wrote imo.  

8675309!  Had a feeling it was a cute reference from Loveless but forgot to find out.
  • nick_md wrote:
    Man Buddy's the absolute don, and Waylon ahh fair play to him. Fucking class son.

Imagine living with this one:

After a show in Clear Lake, Iowa, on February 2nd, Holly decided to charter a plane for himself, guitarist Tommy Allsup and Jennings so they could fly to Fargo, North Dakota, instead of taking the long, frozen bus trip. Richardson, who was suffering from the flu, asked Jennings for his seat on the plane, and Valens asked the same of Allsup. When Jennings told Holly that he was going to take the bus, Holly jokingly told him he hoped the bus broke down, to which Jennings replied, "I hope your ol' plane crashes."

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!