Country Music
  • Had a dream last night I was watching a Sturgill gig in NYC. I think I need help tbh.

On the other hand, am really hoping the missus has me one of those 'So fucking outlaw' tees for xmas.

I should really get on his latest album at some point, but MMS is just killing it day in, day out for me, then I go back to HTM if I need a change.

Maybe it's Waylon time.

Any road, what kinda vaping arsehole are you? (what device you gone for?)
  • Just a cheap pen thing, £21. I always hated it when I tried but it turns out the wife rarely changes her coil (stop it) and it's actually okay. I'll probably only need it when I'm drinking (same as cigs for the most part).

First time I heard A Sailor's Guide to Earth I hated it. I don't think I've ever changed my mind on and album quite so much as it's now his best for me, and therefore one of my favourite all-time records.
  • Dang, that's some praise. I'm finding it hard to imagine anything beating MMS but I'll give it a few spins over the weekend, for sure.

I need to get back to vaping really, I still do so when I'm due to meet up with the missus, but I'm far too prone to tabbing otherwise. Are you quitting the bun too? Part of the problem for me is that I like to sprinkle some baccy in with the green, so buy a pouch when I reload, then obvs it's there so I may as well smoke it. I should probably get one of those weed vaporisers, or a pipe or something. I don't really like rolling pyar green doobs.
  • I'm not sure about the blaze foliage. Ideally yes, but realistically no. I'm down to one a week on average anyway, I still love a wee toke towards the end of my drink (hash only these days). Cigs would be maybe four a night at home - again, Saturday only - and [however I type the infinity symbol] if I'm out. If I keep tobacco in the house to roll a joint with I'd eventually smoke it too though, but the Dynavap thing I bought gives quite a heavy hit that I wouldn't describe as mellow. Maybe I'll start eating it :)

So I wasn't in a bad place with it all, 95% of my smoking was confined to one evening a week or the odd one here and there on a dog walk, but I want to knock that if I can. Tomorrow is two weeks, no tobacco no puff.
  • Also, expect a sea change if you haven't heard any of Sailor's Guide. He's got a horn section in for a start.
  • Ah I've listened to Sailor's Guide a few times, but it lacked the juke-joint stompers that I love (or at least it seemed to). I'm in no rush though, it's not like these albums are going anywhere.

Re. the cigs, I'm fine if I'm with the missus; I don't even use my vape if I'm with her. I've gone near a week before without any craving or anything. The difficulty is when I'm alone, or at work (which is uber-stressful recently); I'll very easily tab away repeatedly. Plus I tend to always have green in stock, and get through a couple a night on average (I find it better for me than boozing, which is what I'd do if no bud available).

I have a problem with addiction, basically.

Anyway, this ain't the thread for that, will get on that Sturgill this weekend. Hope the vapes go well for you, chief; we should have some sort of meet up at some point. I own a bolo tie, don't you know.
  • I expect we'll end up smoking a pack with a few beers at some point.

Sailor's was a bit what-the-fuck-has-he-done, which made way for oh right, he's nailed it anyway. It's not got the bounce but it struts like a champ.
  • My vape just arrived.  Managed to survive the pub without smoking earlier, only had 3 drinks but I've been twitching all evening.

Also, my Original Album Series Little Feat box set arrived in the same package.  5 cds for £9.99.  WIN

• Whoops I just rolled a farewell one skin doobs

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Watching Lucero on Friday I finally realised after about 20 years Ben has finally managed to write a song that doesn't break my heart, well it does a little but in a good way

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • My Sturgill Simpson can holder arrived in the post last week, just in time for a music festival I was going to on Friday.  

Lost it almost instantly.  Wasn't even drunk.  Pretty sure I just threw it away when I binned my first drink of the day.  So annoyed with myself lol.
    When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • That's so fucking outlaw tho.
  • Isobell song is great.  Time to dig out That Much Further West.
  • Started to put together a new D- playlist, so far have:

Dreaming My Dreams With You (Waylon)
    Our Little Town (Foley)

Any suggestions to get to a solid 10 track?
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Such a great week last week was
    "I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Sounded like a good one, still haven't got into Lucas but I'll give him another go tomorrow.

Nick, pretty much any version of this, but Isbell nails the earnest here:

• A typical example of Todd Snider.  Cracking preamble followed by a half decent song.  I love him, he's recorded some really good tracks, but the whole shebang is where the fun's at:

• nick_md wrote:
    Started to put together a new D- playlist, so far have: Dreaming My Dreams With You (Waylon) Our Little Town (Foley) Any suggestions to get to a solid 10 track?

• I got a discount code for some of his gigs next year too, via spotify.

May see if I can make it.
  • I'm only twos songs in so far but I think he might do the whole of Sailor's Guide here, plus one or two others judging by the runtime:

So best.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Bloke's a genius
  • Watching Isbell's Tiny Desk concert now.  Imagine if there was a Highwaymen type supergroup album/tour with say him, Simpson, Stapleton and maybe Colter Wall.  I think I'd attempt to fund that if I won the Euromillions.
  • Just look at them all

Travelling Wilburys eat your almost as wonderful collective heart out.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I'm only twos songs in so far but I think he might do the whole of Sailor's Guide here, plus one or two others judging by the runtime:

So best.

Well that was amazing.

• Bah gawd, what a track!

he aint got laid in a month of sundays, i caught him once and he was sniffin my undies

zYbgFS7.gif
  • It's incredible, lovely lovely stuff.  Against all odds, honey we're the big door prize.
  • He really does have a way with words hey? 

Have just been listening to his first album, for the first time.  Great stuff, and had no idea Spanish Pipe Dream was his song.  It was covered by Australian country legend Slim Dusty back in the day, never knew it was a cover til now.  In hindsight it’s clearly John Prine though!  ‘I knew that topless woman had something up her sleeve’ haha

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!