Country Music
  • Moot:

have you tried much of Laura Nyro? I think you might like her. Give New York Tendaberry a go.
    "Given how long it's taken for me to reconcile my nature, I can't figure I'd forgo it on your account."
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Currently in love with this guy

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • Both new to me, will have a listen.  Liking cocko's guy's voice.

New James McMurtry album is the real deal.
  • Ever bought an album by an artist, having bought one or two previously, but it's taken the new one to unlock the greatness in the old ones?

New McMurtry album did this, I'm loving the earlier stuff now too.

Choctaw Bingo was always a cracker though.

Desperate to hear the new Ray Wylie Hubbard album, but my Amazon.com delivery window is 20th April-20th May.
  • XOMuggins wrote:
    Moot: have you tried much of Laura Nyro? I think you might like her. Give New York Tendaberry a go.

Watched a tribute/clip or two on Youtube, and had a butcher's at this.  Not on the list, but a track called Poverty Train was a belter.  It's not usually quite my thing, but I have made exceptions for similar artists so I'll give her a go.
  • My friend just released her album which is quite country based, her name is Hannah Rose Platt and the album is called Portraits. Its on itunes etc worth a look, especially "you dont know jack" which I think is really clever
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Will have a look, haven't got itunes though.

For Cocko:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    I do love that performance. Another chick I've been led to this year, not sure if she's been mentioned here at all, but Nikki Lane, has a certain bubblegum quality to her voice, which since the days of Shampoo, Kenickie, Aqua and the voice of rave Diane Charlemagne has always been something that really appeals to me

Doesn't ooze sex appeal like Lydia, but definitely a decent listen

"I spent years thinking Yorke was legit Downs-ish disabled and could only achieve lucidity through song" - Mr B
  • She's pretty. What a pity she makes country music.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Just to add to the Cory Branan love in, and it's on no hit wonder, but the opening to "the only you" sums him up perfectly, all smug with his new girl then hits you with the heartbreak

"well I got another girl, she looks like you at 23,
    While she sleeps I trace the places your tattoos used to be"

Love him
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Although wrong with country music, though the example I'm about to give won't appeal to you. Whenever I wrote anything punky or emo, I'd play it to myself in a country arrangement, if it still worked it was a good song, if not, it was probably poo
  • Did both albums today, plenty of good stuff on there.  I think I prefer some of his solo performances of these songs, like the Music Fog set on Youtube, as a couple of them are a touch Gaslight Anthemed on the album and work better with just him and a guitar (don't mind GA but only bought one album).  Definitely worth the cash though, I'll probably get another album at some point because Tall Green Grass isn't on either of mine and the studio version of that is great.
  • Nikki Lane reminds me of Lindi Ortega.

Edit: Just had a read up and ordered All or Nothin'.  Dan Auerbach is making a good fist of this producing lark, shame The Black Keys have left the sweaty basements behind in favour of arenas, but good luck to him.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    There's only two others of his to get and if you asked me to choose, I'd struggle. The Hell You Say has Crush, Whiskey Grove, Troublesome Girl in fact yes take that album. But 12 songs has Mohammed Ali, Tall Green Grass, girl named go and Easy. Fuck it I don't know, go hit up Austin Lucas instead

I'll give Linda a listen tomorrow, will feed back soon, also in love with Ben Nichols covering Joey Kneiser as both Lucero and Glossary are quality bands

• Talented lot, those Nichols kids.
  • Definitely not a happy bunny.
  • Commencing my payday splurge, bought Black Listed as I don't own any Case pre Fox.

Ray Wylie Hubbard's Ruffian's Misfortune arrived today, it was a long wait but the first two spins suggest it was worth it.

Also been listening to this:

1420644253.jpg

Which is a double disk 52 track 'frontier cowboy folk opera'.  I always look forward to concept albums but often leave nonplussed.  Even the T Bone Burnett/Mellencamp/Stephen King effort Ghost Brothers of Darkland County was a wee bit disappointing (Neko Case makes an appearance btw, along with an assortment of other greats and not so greats).  Shooter Jennings' effort was worse (Stephen King narrates some of that).  The Rose of Roscrae is full on fun & goodness though.  I've only had it for a couple of weeks, so I can't call it a masterpiece yet, but it's addictive, humourous, touching and beautifully crafted.

An out of context example:

• That Nikki Lane album is good, cheers Cocko.  It's quite different from the live track you linked to, the studio stuff is Auerbach'ed up to the nines, sounds like he provides guitars for most of the tracks.  There's a duet on there too, I'm a sucker for those.  Pleased with it.
  • New Eilen Jewell album is as lovely as expected.  Not as good as Queen of the Minor Key, but expertly crafted and Jerry Miller's guitar makes every track sound great.

Off to see Sturgill Simpson in August, pleased with that.

A random song/performance, misty eyed Woolies memories:

• cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Only found this guy this week

New album out last month, only 8 tracks, but a decent back catalogue to catch up. New one's really rootsy. If he's been mentioned then I prostrate myself as I should have paid more attention
  • Not heard of him, will have a listen.

Trying to type this on a Wii U, lost everything I wrote about Neko Case's Blacklisted being her best record.  Should've bought it ages ago.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Neko Case, she was played on ajaxdinerbookclub this week and my ears did prick up quite a lot, will grab album, Blacklisted the best starting point. Cheers Moot

If you don't listen already ajaxdinerbookclub.podbean.com is a weekly podcast from a radio station. Dude made my ears stand up a year ago when he said "we got drinking music, thinking music, and dancing with your woman music" and he really has. Mostly country, but a lot of roots, blues and motown as well
  • Been looking for a podcast as I've never really done any, will go for that as I love the quote.  Fox Confessor... is another great Neko Case album, very accessible.  Blacklisted is a bit more twangy and just edges it for me.  Our Lydia's vocals often get compared, especially looking back at Indestructible Machine reviews.
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Dammit, found a new old band, this ep is really doing it for me but headphones about to die, that sucks. Anyway American Night by Benchmarks I reckon it's worth a listen got guest slots from Eli Rhodes, Kelly Smith and Micha Schnabel

https://benchmarks.bandcamp.com/

Also on Google music, can't find it on YouTube yet though

• American Night has a nice driving sound, love a bit of straight ahead country rock.  Not overly keen on the vocals but I'd happily listen to an album, I've been overly acoustic recently so a wall of guitars is nice.  The remind me of The Bottle Rockets, leaning towards the slightly heavier sound of Lucero.  

I'm more than happy to swing my dadpants to Jason & the Scorchers or The Outlaws, despite the 'dated' sound.  Dylan covers are notoriously hit and miss, but I'm particularly fond of this one:

Also, I'm gonna have to devote some time to Shel Silverstein's catalogue, was reading about him recently and picked up a covers album called Twistable Turnable Man.  Been listening for a few days now, and it's very nearly as good as my favourite covers comp (This One's For Him: A Tribute to Guy Clark).  He wrote A Boy Named Sue, but I'm starting to think I prefer this one, which I can't stop listening to:

Not a duff line in there, great stuff.  Plus it's clearly one of those 'someone had too much time on their hands' Youtube videos where footage is synced to the lyrics like a bad Dire Straits video.
  • Hi Moot_Geeza, have you listened to the new Jason Isbell record?

I have it, but have only had a chance to listen to the first few tracks - had no idea it was out!  Seems good so far.

Further to the good looking women doing modern country music earlier on this page, I've been enjoying Kasey Musgraves' Pageant Material album recently!

Darren Hanlon's Where Did You Come From album is my favourite this year, though it's mostly folk this is pretty country.  I don't think the title is a reference to Rednex's Where Did You Come From Cotton Eye Joe but I could be wrong about that.

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • Been listening to Isbell's latest, probably given it 8-10 goes so far.  It's not as dark as the previous one, which to be honest it had no chance of living up to anyway (Southeastern is probably top 5 ever for me), but it's consistently good, unlike his earlier efforts.  24 Frames has a lovely Tom Petty/Heartland rock feel, and the lyrics to Speed Trap Town are the sort of thing I lap up.  It feels like a not-disappointing 7 so far. 

I've got Musgraves' last album, some v.good tracks on it.  It's radio friendly despite being considered un-radio friendly in the bible belt.  She wrote a song about John Prine once, and she's obviously lovely to look at, so she's good with me.  Check out Brandy Clark's 12 Stories for a similar-ish yet slightly better record imo (compared to Same Trailer Different Park).
  • Fair assessment of Isbell from what I can tell so far!  Have given it a few goes now and I'm in the 'very good, not quite as good as his last' camp.

Will have to check out Brandy Clark!  I'm still digging Musgraves and am up for more of that sound. 

lol, watch at your own risk, but I only found out about this recently... my gosh.  This is what my friends think I'm into when they learn I'm a country fan haha

When you got movies like Tom Cruise in them, you can't lose
  • cockbeard
    Show networks
    Facebook
    ben.usaf
    Twitter
    @cockbeard
    PSN
    c_ckbeard
    Steam
    cockbeard

Send message
    Charles Hale can't afford the Podbean fees anymore, but luckily the radio station have agreed to host the files for him, so the podcast is still kind of alive. Not sure how to make it feed into my podcatcher, but it can be found here, and either downloaded or streamed across the web

https://www.krfcfm.org/show/ajax-diner-book-club/

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!