• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Cheers peeps.

I've run the cab for 8 hours or so since replacing the chip Friday night - just shut it down there after having it going for over 4 1/2 hours and no issues.

I did have one problem with rotate left being read as pressed at random but I checked the control panel and the contacts for that button were very close - practically touching - so I bent one up slightly and that sorted that out..

Have asked one final question off TNT about the hum the screen makes. It isn't very loud but it's noticeable when the house is quiet. I suspect it is OK - have noticed it in other videos of he cabinet too.

Feeling a bit better about this now - should be able to start enjoying it.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • CRT's always give out a faint hum so that's normal.
    Unless it's significantly louder than the average crt I wouldn't worry about it
    Great cabinet, beautiful for any mancave.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Well that's a result. Good news, Davy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    TNT came back and said the sound is normal. Suspected as much. They recommend not leaving it running for long spells if not playing the game either which makes sense. I won't be doing that anyhow - on average it'll be a couple of hours a week I suspect.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Jesus I'm crap at this game. Have yet to break 20K....
  • Really glad the old girl's up and running Davy, made up for you mate.

Do high-scores save when the cab's turned off? If so, how much is it gonna piss you off if someone gets the top spot on your Asteroids machine? :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It saves the top 3 scores. Pretty neat for a 1980 game.

There's a keypress sequence in test mode to wipe the scores. The suppliers' testers had clocked up 80K+ scores on it.....wiped them.
  • That is a great feature, I was always slightly irked by Point Blank wiping the scores in the student union every day. Just meant I had to get #1 back the next day ofc, but still.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I think Centipede does the same thing (was 1980 too). Atari were quite forward thinking.

Williams did it with Defender too - that was an '81 game.
  • Speaking of Defender, this might be the right crowd to convince that AQUA KITTY Milk Mine Defender DX (numerous modern formats) is legitimately Godlike.  

I'm currently two stages from the end in the main mode, superb stuff.
  • Is that an old game? Aqua kitty seems to ring a dusty bell.
  • 2013 apparently, the DX one is an upgrade.  Just noticed that there's a more recent Bone version with an added scrolling shmup mode.
  • If I weren't in a pub I'd watch a video, but I'm sure I've heard of it, and heard good things to boot. To moot.
  • Resoguns the real deal though.

Feels a bit like the Pac-Man CE of Defender, great stuff.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • nick_md wrote:
    If I weren't in a pub I'd watch a video, but I'm sure I've heard of it, and heard good things to boot. To moot.

Mine's a milk stout.  

Resogun's great but it felt overwhelmingly classy on the couple of occasions I've played it.  The skill ceiling is much lower in Aqua Kitty.  It's tricky, but comparatively basic, with shorter burst sessions.  Got Resogun ready on the Vita though, will take the hit on the port and put some hours in soon, Nex Machina was freakishly good.
  • ‘Strategise your weaponry’ feels like something I’d read on the back of a Spectrum cassette box in John Menzies.
  • Ha ha!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Went to a retro expo this Sunday, was way more fun than I hoped it'd be! I've never really played an arcade cabinet before, so seeing some nice ones set to free play was great!

They had an area with a lot of retro games for sale, some artists (B got some nice shirts), I saw "zombified" amiibo's and other tat, loads of game related patches/stickers etc. people made. Quite nice. 

Middle area was set up with about any kind of CRT you can think of (apart from "really big") and had loads of consoles connected. Played some Parodius, Alien Hominid, Super Mario Kart, B played some Zone of the Enders, Sin and Punishment (the Japanese one, not the Wii virtual console) and a shmup where he was a witch on a broomstick.
    Loads of people playing Halo, saw a little boy playing Ocarina of Time while his dad sat next to him, and the boy that took over the witch shmup from B sat there for at least an hour.

Last area of the hall was set up with the arcades and pinball tables. Played some Virtua On, Hang On, some light gun game (guns were connected to the cabinet, and just a bit too low so uncomfortable), R-Type, Ms. PacMan, Donkey Kong, Dig Dug, Asteroids Deluxe (pretty sure that was one of the bigger cabinets there @Davy), Snow men (? think that was it, B played that a lot as a kid), Joust, Centipede, Galaga and some Neo Geo where you were a helicopter shooting dinosaurs and saving people. Small cabinet, couldn't sit on my knees for too long. Also did some Metal Slug with B, played quite a few in co-op. Ended that session early for a kid dressed up at Link, he liked the zombie's I guess and wanted to give it a go. 
    Most of the cabinets were fairly beat up though, some games weren't controlling that great thanks to the sticks. Games were still playable, but without putting any real time in I haven't seen more than the first couple stages at most.
    DavyK wrote:
    Jesus I'm crap at this game. Have yet to break 20K....
    I don't think I got over 2k.... This game's hard to control if you're not used to it. Was impressed by it's looks, and would have given it more love if I hadn't ran out of credits and could find the guy who reset the cabinets every once in a while

Billy Mitchell was there, and so were the Mortal Kombat movie actors. Didn't even know there was a movie.. They had some tournaments going for most of the day, a live band playing soundtracks outside so it was all pretty complete for a fairly small set-up. Found out later there was another expo close by, which I think was bigger.
    Still had a lot of fun, B even considered a Saturn so I might know what to get him for his birthday in July. One of the best things I noticed is that actually anyone that was there was having a good time, no bored kids or parents, and it was fun to see all the females glued to the Bubble Bobble machines.

No pictures as it wasn't that great for taking photo's, it's just a big hall filled with tables in the end.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice.  Would love to live somewhere where attending these events would be possible.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aqua Kitty looks great btw

The Defender genre is very compulsive. I love DropZone which was Archer Maclean's take on it. The NES game was silky smooth and lightning fast (and was PAL optimised). The SNES got an upgrade which is very nice too - still play it occasionally - might propose it for the retro club if I get a chance.
  • Dropzone was ace. There was a story that US Gold sold it worldwide without the rights to do so and ended up having to pay Maclean a massive settlement.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Top 30 games systems of ALL TIEMZ (according to Retro Gamer readers)

With additional comments by me, you lucky people, you.
    Spoiler:

Let the nitpicking begin! :)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • You can kind of tell it was a retro audience asked.
    I think with a broader demographic the Playstation would top MD, maybe even Snes. PS2 and DS would be higher, Saturn much lower.
  • List was fun, explaining to a moaning colleague that it's voted for by readers after every page turn less so, but the Castle of Illusion (Master System version) article is the best thing this month.
  • Man I loved CoI on my game gear, played to death.
  • Miles better than the MD version.  

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    You can kind of tell it was a retro audience asked. I think with a broader demographic the Playstation would top MD, maybe even Snes. PS2 and DS would be higher, Saturn much lower.

Entirely possible. DS/3DS should've been a wee bit higher (IMHO, YMMV) and while I have a soft spot for Saturn/Dreamcast, I would admit they'd probably be lower in The Real World.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    No real surprise with that poll given the 16bit era is still considered golden by many retor gaming folk. I'd say it says more about the age of the readership than anything else.

I would rate the SNES highly too but the fact is I rarely play SNES games any more. I eye up my SNES collection and consider its worth on the market.....
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Broke 30K on Asteroids Deluxe last night.

That seems to be a crank up barrier - the homing missiles suddenly become much faster - really looking to take that coin off you.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!