Retro Gaming
  • I was in an indie store today and my heart skipped a beat upon seeing Densha de Go! 3 on PS2. It was £29.99 though so I didn't buy it. Kinda regretting it now but I might go back tomorrow. I didn't even know there was a Densha 3 - kinda surprising as I thought I had just about every version.

They also had a US import of King's Field 2 on PS1 for a tenner. Again, I thought about it and left the store. I think I'll go back :)
  • Right, after thinking about it, it's clear I need to buy Densha 3 tomorrow. Knowing my luck, someone will have already snaffled this beauty by the time I show up. It looks as if there are no speed limits in this version and the awesome 'chain links' from Densha de Go! Final are gone. Edit: I see the speed limits now.

• Graphics look quite a lot better than my Dreamcast version of Densha 2.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • http://gamecenter.grantgalitz.org/
    check out the games list.
    Sometimes here. Sometimes Lurk. Occasionally writes a bad opinion then deletes it before posting..
  • My Spectrum 128k has just been given a new lease of life. The RF modulator is dodgy and was distorting the screen if it was on for more than a few minutes. I discovered the other day that it has an RGB socket that can be connected to a scart socket. A quick search on ebay and I now have a cable that bypasses the dodgy modulator and gives a nice clear picture. I've been trying out converting files from World Of Spectrum's games archive to wav format and loading them direct from my PC. I've needed to use a low pass filter in Audacity to get the tone right but I can now relive those days of waiting 5 minutes plus (15 for a 128k game) for a game to load before realising I forgot to plug in the joystick interface.

I will probably be offloading some of my original cassettes now but they don't seem to go for much on ebay. One of the buyers of some Crash magazines that I sold recently was the Game On touring exhibition run by the Barbican Centre. I might see if they want a donation.
    Gamertag: Mal0wner
    3DS Friend Code: MalO 0645-5742-2145
    Wii U: MalOwner
  • Just won a copy of Ranger X for Mega Drive on eBay.

It cost me £10, but that was peanuts compared to most of the BiN prices.
  • Just won a copy of Ranger X for Mega Drive on eBay. It cost me £10, but that was peanuts compared to most of the BiN prices.

Quite a good game too.  A bit floaty perhaps, but an enjoyable rental for me back in '93ish.  You can't go wrong with mechs that turn into bikes.
  • Nice to see people talking retro bits and bobs here :)

Over the last 10 years I've slowly re-bought all the games I remember enjoying as a kid, from there I got other stuff I wanted to try.  Last year I went to Japan and went completely mental and spent a huge amount of money on hard to get stuff or stuff that's just too expensive here.

I also got a XRGB Mini to upscale and add scanlines to old consoles so they look good on my LCD, without it they look horrible.  If you play anything old regularly you should look into it, it's amazing but there are a few caveats.

Megadrive
    megadrive.jpg

Super Famicom
    superfamicom.jpg

Saturn
    saturn.jpg

Dreamcast
    dreamcast.jpg

Famicom
    famicom.jpg
    Today is the shadow of tomorrow.
  • l33t
    Ross Kemp Investigative Journalist
    Skullfuck yourself into a fine mist
  • You are one massive motherfucker, Billy.
  • WorKid wrote:
    SegaGaGa!

Seconded! :-)
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Just won a copy of Ranger X for Mega Drive on eBay. It cost me £10, but that was peanuts compared to most of the BiN prices.

Quite a good game too.  A bit floaty perhaps, but an enjoyable rental for me back in '93ish.  You can't go wrong with mechs that turn into bikes.

It came out about the same time as Gunstar Heroes, a game I much preferred.

I only bought it because the copy I already had didn't have an instruction manual.

• I picked up a copy of King's Field II on PS1 yesterday. Only ever played the original but couldn't resist it.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Billy you can fuck off with your SNES collection.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    <3
  • I just sold my spare copy of Alien Soldier, and I'm now watching a game that'd pretty much complete my collection... if I win it! (please keep your fingers crossed that it doesn't go to 'stupid money')
  • Man I played the pastel-hued shite outta Rainbow Bell
  • Awesome game :)

Snes/super famicom has aged so well it's ridiculous.  If you got a super famicom with a clean RGB21 output, put through an upscaler it just looks lovely.  They still sound great too.

I got burned last year by a guy on ebay who didn't send me 'Out of this world' (Another World) for super famicom, git.

<3 u 2 Reg x
  • Love the Jap Sonic box art. They scream early 90's fashion magazine.
    Animal Crossing - Name: Chrissy
    Island: Hopperton
    Fruit: Cherries
    FC: SW-6061-2213-4257
  • Mal0wner wrote:
    My Spectrum 128k has just been given a new lease of life.

How do I do this?  I secretly want to play old Spectrum games again, but I don't have an old TV or anything to do it.
  • Dragon Force on Saturn.... GET! :-D
  • @Elmlea
    The 128k Spectrums have an RGB socket on the back as well as the traditional coaxial cable socket. Search for Spectrum and Scart on ebay and you should find the cable you need for about 12 Great British pounds. There are 2 types available depending which model you have . Plug it into the scart socket on the TV, select the AV channel (no more tuning it in) and off you go. I've only got an old CRT TV for now so I can't vouch for the quality on a modern LCD but there is a video on youtube with it working.

The 16k and 48k rubber key models don't have the RGB socket so you can't use this method with them.
  • It still amazes me that over in Japan they were plugging all their old consoles in via RGB21 for years when most people over here were using RF.  Even on a CRT the difference is astounding.  I'm tempted to go for a Spectrum soon, haven't played one for YEARS!
  • Just repaired my cassette player so I can load my Spectrum games the old way. Loading I, Ball right now (a Crash Smash according to the inlay). For a true authentic 80s experience I will be loading some games from 5th generation copies on a TDK C90 next. Tape loading errors here I come.
  • Twenty minutes loading, just for a syntax error to appear just before the start screen.

I can't believe how patient I was back then.
  • You do have the pleasure of staring at an 8 colour loading screen with a flashing border while you wait.
  • It was the perfect amount of time to put some mini frozen pizzas in the oven and play some Crossbows & Catapults while you waited.
  • 'Crossbows & Catapults'... wow, that's a name from the past.
  • The next task in my retro immersion project is to spend 2 hours typing in a machine code listing from a badly printed magazine. Running the program will result in a blank screen and swearing.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!