Retro Gaming
  • Yeah I thought they were comfortable enough, admittingly not OG GBA comfortable but definitely a step up from the SP.

You lose all previous GBC backwards compatibility with this though.

A modded OG GBA is still the best option but this is nice, although an actual working DS would be cheaper and a no brainer surely?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • How can anyone not think they were horribly uncomfortable? They have pointy corners which dig into your hands after a while.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I didn't spend a lot of time on the DS admittedly. I don't really like handheld gaming for some reason. I had a Touchmaster addiction for a while , and since it uses the touch screen then hand cramp wasn't really an issue for me.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • True, they were okay if you wren't using the d-pad and buttons. Particularly those games that turned the unit sideways. There should have been more of that.
  • Christmas Nights and the 3D controller arrived yesterday.

JP Saturn with Shining Force III, and a step down transformer ordered today.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Nice.

Which model of JP Saturn? There are several.
  • This one.

915rqylb60L._SL1500_.jpg

When I ordered it the game pictured was Shining Force III, but now it shows that baseball game.

The description (translated from German) doesn't mention a game, so it may just be a placeholder image. I've contacted the seller for confirmation.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message

Nice looking console. I have the white model.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    I've got the chopper model. I've got hunners of games if you need reccs
  • It's the baseball game. Not too fussed, as an RPG in Japanese would be next to useless anyway, and it'll be nice to have an obscure Japanese sports game.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    It may well be quite playable if it's an arcade style game. And if it has kooky JP presentation that will only be a good thing.  This is the joy of Japanese Saturn collecting - the library is vast.
  • I think it's a baseball cooking game.

Japan you so crazy.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh.  There might be a management side to that game as well as a straight up game mode.

I got a game called Stakes Winner 2 - it has an arcade racing mode which is playable but there's an impenetrable horse breeding/training side to the game as well.
  • The Saturn arrived to work today, and was waiting for me when I got in.

The transformer has a two prong European style plug, and nobody has an adapter, so will have to wait until I'm home to test it.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Make sure that is an actual transformer that will convert 240 down to 110. Don't know what the German domestic supply is...

edit: it's 230v so you should be OK. I'd check the rating just to be sure.
  • All works fine.

Only have a composite cable, and it's going into a flat screen TV so doesn't look great.

The baseball game was just a wall of text until it finally got to a match, and then it just simulated the score.

Think it's a management sim.

I'd never played Nights before, and not really sure what to make of it.

Was hard to control, and I wasn't quite sure what I was supposed to be doing.

The boss battle was fairly random if I hit or got hit, with no real indication what I was to do.

Looking forward to picking up some of the classics, and need to replace the battery as it keeps asking to set the date and time every time it's powered on.
  • NiGHTS took a while to click, but once it did it became my favourite game.

It’s entirely score based, so try to get 20 blue spheres into the cage quickly, because you accumulate more points once that’s done.

Try to notice how long it takes to complete a ‘lap’, so you don’t try to complete one too many if you’ve not got enough time left.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nights is very much an acquired taste. It's essentially on-rails collecting interspersed with boss fights and is very much a score attack game. I like it but it wouldn't be a big favourite of mine. It controls better with the 3D controller and its analogue stick.
  • I'm using the 3D controller.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Oh.

:(

If you want another game that makes good use of it then Manx TT is a good shout. Should be cheap. It's light on content but what's there is very good.

Sega Rally uses it too but to be honest the control with the dpad is so good it isn't necessary. I know it works with the PAL version (which is a superb conversion - indistinguishable from the 60Hz version as far as I'm concerned - my times on both versions are the same) but would need to check the JPN version as it was released earlier.

Sega Rally really is a great game. It has got a bit rough looking but the control is silky smooth and the track design is inspired. Only 3 cars and 4 tracks but they are made to be caned until you get them perfect.

Here's me beating it  :)

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think you are more into the fighters though? Plenty to choose from - think I posted about those earlier.
  • NiGHTS really is one of a kind, it's worth going deeper if you can.  As Mark says it's a score attack game - the real aim is to git gud rather than git it dun.  It's the type of game where most of the fans say merely finishing it is less than half the experience, like Vanquish or Bayonetta maybe (says the guy who never revisited either of those after the credits).  

Grab the blues spheres, and as soon as you've got 20 take the shortest route to the cage.  The rest will turn gold (iirc), and the scores increase.  Rather than finishing the course immediately, trying to ramp up your score and timing your finish to the last couple of seconds is key.  You have to go round in a 2.5D loop, so if you've not halfway it'll probably be quicker to head back the way you came if you're low on time, so you have to be mindful of not pushing it too far.  It has combo chains for collecting items, known as links, where you'll have maybe another second to collect an item to keep the counter going.  Some courses have complete links, so with practice you can keep a link going from the moment you pick up your first gold orb to the moment you finish the course.  The boss multiplier is speed based too.  

In hindsight some stages are far better designed than others, and imo there really should be a complete link available on all of the first courses.  It's a very good game though, I thought they did a great job of offering something entirely original rather than a full 3D platformer that would've been a disappointing Mario 64 counter attack.
  • Forgot to mention this a couple of weeks ago.  One of the children's TV channels on digital used a retro Sonic tune for one of the bits in between programmes.  Can't remember what it was (tune or channel), 16-bit though.  Was the actual chip tune too.
  • Moot_Geeza wrote:
    NiGHTS really is one of a kind, it's worth going deeper if you can.  As Mark says it's a score attack game - the real aim is to git gud rather than git it dun.  It's the type of game where most of the fans say merely finishing it is less than half the experience, like Vanquish or Bayonetta maybe (says the guy who never revisited either of those after the credits).  

Grab the blues spheres, and as soon as you've got 20 take the shortest route to the cage.  The rest will turn gold (iirc), and the scores increase.  Rather than finishing the course immediately, trying to ramp up your score and timing your finish to the last couple of seconds is key.  You have to go round in a 2.5D loop, so if you've not halfway it'll probably be quicker to head back the way you came if you're low on time, so you have to be mindful of not pushing it too far.  It has combo chains for collecting items, known as links, where you'll have maybe another second to collect an item to keep the counter going.  Some courses have complete links, so with practice you can keep a link going from the moment you pick up your first gold orb to the moment you finish the course.  The boss multiplier is speed based too.  

In hindsight some stages are far better designed than others, and imo there really should be a complete link available on all of the first courses.  It's a very good game though, I thought they did a great job of offering something entirely original rather than a full 3D platformer that would've been a disappointing Mario 64 counter attack.

That’s a much better explanation than I managed. I always mentally compose nice long posts on this place but they always seem to lose something by the time I’ve typed it out.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Decided to finally give up on Panzer Dragoon as I was itching to play Zwei and Saga. Shame you can only play the first four episodes on easy. The setting and music is great but the difficulty is so poorly balanced, easy is a cakewalk for the four episodes and normal just too hard for me. Then played through Zwei in few small sessions and enjoyed it a lot. Difficulty is spot on and will revisit for the different paths as it's so pleasantly short.

Started Saga yesterday and really enjoyed the first 90 minutes. Battle system is unique and once again the setting is great. This game has some weird mystique around it for me, JRPG is probably my favourite genre and I had been reading about PDS for ages and thought I would never get to play it. That reads stupid. :)
  • That’s a much better explanation than I managed. I always mentally compose nice long posts on this place but they always seem to lose something by the time I’ve typed it out.

Yours was more concise but still contained the key points. 

Enjoy PD Saga, it's quite short but the battle system is underrated imo, even in articles championing the experience.  Zwei was a bit special at the time too, probably still my favourite rails shooter, or at least vying for top spot with Lylatt Wars and Sin & Punishment 2.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Came home from work today. Booted up Asteroids Deluxe and beat my hi-score first try. 46K   :)

The feeling you great when you are playing this well is unique. Unsurpassed. The finesse you need to manoeuvre around between the rocks is one of the main challenges and delights here. Controls wonderfully.
  • Now that's a satisfying way to start the weekend davy!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Heh. Posted another 40K score last night.

Top 3 scores now all 40K+ (the machine stores the top 3 when you power down)
  • Picked this up in the week:

Foy2zw6.jpg

Should come in handy for 2D games on the Wii/U, Switch and PS3/4. 

Nice bonus of working on an actual SNES too!

edit: Maybe even the Pi as well.

So I finally got around to setting this up.

Piece of piss with the Switch, haven't tried it on the SNES or Wii yet.

But how the fuck do you get it to work with the PS3/4?

オレノナハ エラー ダ

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!