PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Heaven is real.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Page turn YASSS.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Very nice indeed.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Oh they had a puzzle bobble 4 cabinet too
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Messing about with Space Invaders tonight to see if I still have the skills.....(Sega Saturn JPN version)

Created a couple of videos - one showing the last invader bug..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qEZSQ36KOUw

And this one showing the advanced high risk technique of abusing the fact that you can't be shot by an invader on the final row..if one gets past you it's game over no matter how many lives you have.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zz3UyDxy8xQ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Picked up a really nice copy of Super Monaco Grand Prix for Megadrive over the weekend. CIB and in great condition for £5. Can't be bad. We have a nice indie retro shop in Belfast and they have a plenty of stock cycling in and out.

Played this one quite a bit in the 16bit era and it was always a favourite. I had a SNES but a mate had an MD and it was one those games that made the MD an attractive proposition for me  - a proper arcade racer with a nice 16 track campaign mode to back up the arcade mode. 

It still holds up in the looks dept - for me anyhow. The sound effects grate but it's all part of the charm. Comparing it to the arcade original it's a solid effort though there is less track side detail which was implemented in good old Sega sprite super scaling in the arcade - Saturn would have done a great job of it - pity that didn't happen.

I remember it having Ayrton Senna licensing back in the day - this copy doesn't have that but that's probably explained by the fact it's a Genesis game - so the US market wouldn't have cared too much about that.
  • I think the sequel had the Ayrton Senna license.  Domark's F1 was one I always fancied at the time, the mags put a fair amount of emphasis on the sensation of speed.
  • Looks fantastic for a MD racer imo:

• Niger Mansell was the big one on SNES, had a good advert with the legendary Rik Mayall.

F1 ROC was my favourite though, that was it's US name, can't remember what it was called over here. F1 Exhaust Heat maybe?

It wasn't a massive looker, although it had some nice mode 7. Was a great game though.

F1 like a lot of sport games is one I had a great time with a particular game, but never felt compelled to get into another one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Yikes that ROC game is fast - sure that isn't overclocked?  :)

Might pick that one up too.

F1 Exhaust Heat was a SNES game if I remember right - a mate had a copy of that. It played a bit like a reskinned F-Zero with a higher viewing angle. I suspect it hasn't aged too well.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There was a game on SNES called Human Grand Prix that was supposed to be very good - that was its import name - though - not sure if it got a release in the West.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    This has me looking at other MD racing games now... I fancy Super Hang On.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was playing a spot of Block Out last night.You need to be in the mood but it's satisfying.

• Blockout has a nice visual style.  I never played it at the time, but my wife occasionally plays Klax on the emulators so I've put some time into that over the years.  It's pretty good. 

In typical me fashion, I rang up to cancel my Retro Gamer sub earlier this evening and ended up renewing.  The free 8Bitdo pad was too tempting.  Will that work on Switch?
  • Blockout was pretty good with the basic shapes, but utterly impossible if you went for the complex set.  Also had a decent two player competitive mode.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Tried the alternate shapes. Nonsensically tough. There's some options for playing with that set in a very small grid which might be possible with a pile of practice.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    i usually abhor gaming tat.  But I couldn't resist this:

http://www.numskull.co.uk/asteroids-arcade-pin-badge-set/
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    That's a little bit clever. I approve.

And if you don't like gaming tat, avoid my house.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I don't mind other people having it - it's more a sense of self loathing when I fall for it myself. I'm happy with these though. Pity there wasn't a deluxe version on offer to go with my cabinet but happy enough with the original.  There's a nice mug on offer too - when there is hot liquid in it it shows the 2600 version's box art. Nice.

Got that Domark F1 game in the post today. Nice game. The PAL version runs fine at 60Hz on my modded MD too. It glitches a bit in 2 player but that won't be an issue for me.

Super Hang On is in the post too.  That's me with spending for a while. I'm heading State-side end of this month. Might see if I can pick up a copy of US Dr Mario 64 if I come across any retro shops. Will be in Orlando, Florida - anyone know of any there?
  • The asteroids door mat might be a good touch to stop you wearing out the floor Infront of your cabinet!

There was a link on a retro website somewhere that had a breakdown of all the retro gaming shops in most major cities. I'll have a look...
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Racketboy forum:
    http://www.racketboy.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=44&t=22721

33 listings in Florida, most of which are 'Play and Trades' though which at least sound game related.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Well that's useful! Will be adding them to my Google retro map.

I think the place near the laundromat is also a Play and Trade. It's retro and DVD's I think. Has a nice collection but a lot of it is sun faded. Damn you California!
  • The Manchester section is up to date but obviously can't vouch for other areas! It's a good idea though but relays on the community to keep it updated.

It's quite a nice retro forum Racketboy, it's had a bit of a facelift since I was last there. Quite enjoy looking at other retro set ups!
  • F1 ROC/Exhaust Heat is awesome. I got it for £5 when my blockbusters was closing. 

I played it one Saturday starting at 8am and it took me about two hours to finish a season and win everything. It's a pretty decent racer tbh. It was up there with Top Gear which is otherwise the best racer on the system after supe rmaroi kart(sorry f-zero fans).
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG
  • Eric wrote:
    The Manchester section is up to date but obviously can't vouch for other areas!

Nothing listed for Scotland. Which might actually be correct …
  • mk64 wrote:
    F1 ROC/Exhaust Heat is awesome. I got it for £5 when my blockbusters was closing.  I played it one Saturday starting at 8am and it took me about two hours to finish a season and win everything. It's a pretty decent racer tbh. It was up there with Top Gear which is otherwise the best racer on the system after supe rmaroi kart(sorry f-zero fans).

My man!

I mentioned that earlier, defo my fav F1 game.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Broke 50,000 on  Asteroids Dx last night.

Oh yes.

@Eric - thanks for that link.  :)
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Super Hang On arrived yesterday. Immaculate complete in box.

Nice game. I never played this much in the arcade.  It's nice to see a bright colourful game on the Megadrive too.
  • So I've been buying some SNES games for my collection from the US with the help of @Nina

They turned up last week, here's a couple of pics:

4nqW98K.jpg
    GbzEisx.jpg

The Gun Force and Lethal Weapon will be sold on, I only got them because they were in an auction with Sunset Riders.

I was missing a Super Metroid manual and have a box for Super GnG so they're both complete now.

The Super Mario World box is one shops used for display purposes but its made from the same quality cardboard as the real deal. Its notoriously expensive CiB because of it mainly being in the bundle to I'm happy to have that now.

The white cardboard are replacements for the inner box. I needed two for SMW and Super GnG, but its nice to have spares.

The pads are from a SNES mini that I got to use for the Wii U. They were to cheap to resist.

The rest are:

Chrono Trigger
    Gradius III
    DKC 1 2 and 3
    Sunset Riders
    R-Type III
    Super Mario RPG
    Mega Man X2

All CiB in real nice condition, although Chrono is missing the map.

I'll put up some pics of the whole SNES set at some point. Need to have a tidy up and sort them all out first.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • What a lovely haul, congratulations! I don't know much about the US SNES market but Mega Man X2 and Sunset Riders are very pricey over here. I would be well chuffed with some of those beauties!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!