Retro Gaming
  • http://www.nintendolife.com/news/2018/10/feature_the_console_wars_are_back_with_the_analogue_mega_sg_the_first_fpga_sega_console

Interesting article about this new Sega retro console but also retro hardware in general. Apologies if already posted or discussed but I’m too lazy to check and better twice than never eh?
    That was awkward and unsettling, never post anything like it again.
  • Wow those 8bitdo mega drive pads look legit. Interesting article Stellavista but it doesnt do quite enough for me. Does the megacd compatibility come with it or is it an optional extra, it wasn't clear to me.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Looks like it has an expansion port that an original Mega CD can connect to.

Out of the box it's a Master System/Mega Drive/32-X.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Out of the box it's a Master System/Mega Drive/32-X.

"Out of the box" I think it's just a Mega Drive. Everything else will need an adapter to make the carts fit. It also doesn't do 32X at all right now.
    Indeed, the ill-fated 32X is the only format that the Mega Sg isn't currently capable of supporting – but Analogue is working on a solution. "The original 32X is incompatible in HD due to its complex reliance on analog multi-link cables," Taber explains. "We're exploring solutions for using the original hardware in conjunction with Mega Sg post-launch. There are no promises just yet.

Still, a very interesting piece of kit.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • davyK wrote:
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    I find Digital Foundry videos among the dullest in all videogamedom, yet Digital Foundry Retro vids among the most entertaining.  Probably because I used to care deeeply about all this sort of stuff:

Apart from Orta on the Oldbox (which I'd love to try) have there any other post-Saturn PD games?

I think Orta works on 360 now so may get it at some point.

Orta is compatible on the One, also.
    360 - optimark prime PSN - optimark_prime twitter - @optimark_prime
  • Has Alex Kidd in Miracle World 2 been mentioned in here?  

1b603d6f-beea-437e-8a2c-af8834f02beb.png

• Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Some finds in the Yongsan Electronics Market, Seoul.

wNwXWEQ.jpg
    Two SF1 SNES/TV combo units.

haymwVn.jpg
    Several thousand pounds worth of Neo Geo carts.

vKo0VRx.jpg
    A really shitty picture of a PS2 devkit.

4R4M925.jpg
    A purple Dreamcast and a Samsung branded Pico.

There was a Pocket Station, too, but I forgot to get a picture of that.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I could have spent an absolute fortune in there. Found all sorts of cool shit, like a Game Gear TV Tuner and a camo Neo Geo Pocket.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Oh, and at least one Samsung branded Mega Drive and Saturn but they were behind glass - any picture I took was reflection city central.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    The packaging on those NeoGeo carts....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Whoa, console nirvana swirl!
    Those neo-geo carts must be a fortune indeed.
    Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Made a Gameboy Macro mod the other day. It's basically taking a DS Lite apart, remove the top screen, fill the holes up with some kind putty, spend a lot of time sanding it and paint it. Pretty fun, and broken DS-es are cheap. (if someone has one, let me know. Needs to be the lite though, with a working gba slot)

GpYrieQ.jpg
    BKScKZe.jpg
    sM7Cnjw.jpg
    Look at how shiny it is!

Next up is starting my arcade stick (have an the buttons etc, never started on an actual case) and then maybe a Gameboy Zero. Which is fitting a retro pi zero into an original Gameboy. That's a quite expensive one, mainly because of the screen but it sounds fun and I like handhelds.
  • Wow great work Nina what a great idea. I've been toying buying a rose coloured gaming shell and repurposing an old GBA with a back lit screen but that looks legit.

It's a shame Escape isn't around he has built quite a few custom sticks ( think they're in the builders she'd thread) and could offer some good advice.

Keep us updated with project 2!
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I definitely want to see the GB Zero.
  • Nina
    Show networks
    Twitter
    myHighnessOne
    Xbox
    SU SPRIET
    PSN
    myHighness
    Steam
    myHighness

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Wow great work Nina what a great idea. I've been toying buying a rose coloured gaming shell and repurposing an old GBA with a back lit screen but that looks legit.
    If I can find a cheap gba I want to do the backlit mod too, never had the original gba (got an SP and Micro) so I kinda want one to complete the family. People are doing some pretty mods with it.
    Think I need to rewatch the Metal Jesus video about his modded gba. Screen, sound and battery are all updated. Would be nice to create something like that.

Problem is screens are expensive. The backlit gba is $50+ I think and I'm not even sure that's a glass one.
    The one for the Gameboy Zero is $40 I think. Not sure if I'm ready to pay that much for thing that I'll enjoy making but probably won't play all that much.

And Escape is still on Twitter so it won't be too hard to get in touch with him if I need to.
  • I bought a Chinese knockoff backlit GBA and it is otherwise really good but the d-pad is a bit stiff. Someone who is handy could probably fix or change it easily.
  • I wonder if it’s possible to transplant dslite bottom half into an old gba. I’ve got both kicking about, might give it a shot next week.
    iosGameCentre:T3hDaddy;
    XBL: MistaTeaTime
  • What are those GBA Castlevania games like?  Found a double pack in my cart shoebox last week, played the first section of one of them and it looked good.  Are either of them left to right affairs, or are both reliant on a map/ability unlocks?
  • I remember them being fantastic.
  • All the GBA and DS Castlevanias are metroidvanias, 3 on both consoles. All pretty highly rated.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    They're all bangers.
  • Castlevnia has to be one of the strongest long running franchises then. Consensus seems to be 'bangers' for almost every era of the 2D games, whether they're straight platformers or Metroidvanias. That's a lot of good gaming.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Metroid GBA titles are why I love Metroid. Prime is why I'll kill a bitch for dissing Metroid.
  • Just got an arcade cabinet for free. CRT doesn't work, other than that it's all good. Just need to get it from work to home - anyvan.com says £54.. result!

Am pretty happy about this.
  • Nice! Post some pics if you get the chance. What are the plans?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Nice indeed - if you aren't fussed about having a CRT then you could fit a flat TV in there.

Depends on whether you to use it as a JAMMA cab or a MAME one.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Spotted a cheap Dreamcast game today in Ca$h Converters - some football game for £3 - but - the case was intact. So good to swap with one of about 6 or 7 games I have with broken cases.

Bought it and I have just dropped the fucking thing at the front door wrestling with my keys. Of course the case broke.

Fuckity. Fuckity, Fuck.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    Reminds me of a time in uni. I got a minty mint copy of Silent Hill off ebay. You would not believe how perfect it was. You'd think it'd come fresh off the shelf on launch day. Within minutes of it being out of the parcel, my housemate had sat on it.

Not a jury in the land would have convicted me.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!