• A gem from the retro game club a few years ago:

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye...these minis are tempting. My SNES collection would be worth a right few quid.

As long as I have a CRT I keep my stuff - that's my thinking for time being anyhow.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • Skerret wrote:
    Skerret wrote:
    Finally got round to hacking the SNES Classic and glad I did, all the delights.  80 games all up and that will just about doh.  Also got Targa which looks pretty amazing for a SNES game.

As much as I love my SNES collection, if someone offered my the £XXXX value I'd bite their hand off and do what you did.
    It's awfully darn convenient. Doing NES classic tomorrow, another 80 odd games and even more intense nostalgia. Cobra Triangle, Snake Rattle n Roll and Journey To Silius await.

I've had full ROM sets since the late 90s but it's only since getting a Raspberry Pi that I've got anything out of them.

The UI on the Pi made it that little bit more of a nice experience, not to mention how far emulation has come since.

But the NES/SNES minis take it to another level. Official hardware/pads with an HDMI output, and with the mod you could almost convince yourself it's an official selection of games.

Also, well done on doing things right with being selective with the games imo. Full ROM sets can do one, I'm forever deleting shit from my Pi.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Anyone know anything about these £40 fake ps pros with classic game emulation built in?

Quite fancy some Mario world and Mario 3 etc.
    Along with super pang and a host of schmups I'm thinking of dropping cash on one.

Are they worth it?
    Cheaper alternatives?
    I don't have a pc or laptop just now so is it a good thing for me as I won't be able to change out rooms and wouldn't know how to if I could.
  • Skerret
    Show networks
    Facebook
    die
    Twitter
    @CustomCosy
    Xbox
    Skerret
    PSN
    Skerret
    Steam
    Skerret
    Wii
    get tae

Send message
    @retroking mm there is plenty of trash on both systems, many dull platformers best avoided.
    Skerret's posting is ok to trip balls to and read just to experience the ambience but don't expect any content.
    "I'm jealous of sucking major dick!"~ Kernowgaz
  • digi wrote:
    Anyone know anything about these £40 fake ps pros with classic game emulation built in?

Quite fancy some Mario world and Mario 3 etc.
    Along with super pang and a host of schmups I'm thinking of dropping cash on one.

Are they worth it?
    Cheaper alternatives?
    I don't have a pc or laptop just now so is it a good thing for me as I won't be able to change out rooms and wouldn't know how to if I could.

The PSP lookalikes? They're shit for the most part, unless you just want 8-bit, Megadrive and GBA. An actual PSP or PSP Go is the best bet for minimal faffing (and passable SNES emulation).
  • Paul the sparky
    Show networks
    Xbox
    Paul the sparky
    PSN
    Neon_Sparks
    Steam
    Paul_the_sparky

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    SHATTERHAND.

Noxy's latest squeeze?
  • Also some of them advertise 80 games or whatever pre-loaded, but dozens of those aren't real retro titles. If you do get something like that make sure it can read ROMs you put on it, some can't.
  • No, I think he means PS Pro; YouTube suggested a video about it to me the other day.

I'd imagine they're not going to be half as good as something Pi-based, a cheap little PC, or perhaps even an Android box.
  • For the price that doesn't seem bad to be honest. Two pads too.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Urgh. It looks like a PS4 attending a fancy dress party as a Master System. Not seen or heard of those until now.
  • Skerret wrote:
    @retroking mm there is plenty of trash on both systems, many dull platformers best avoided.

I actually think the run of the mill 6/10 platformers are the worst retro games to play now along with old sports games of course.

The real shit that's lower than a 5/10 at least has comic value, especially the licensed stuff like Terminator/Waynes World.

edit: Was just playing the Pi with a mate. Street Fighter clones are also bad 16Bit shovel ware.

Generic mascot platformers, SF clones and licensed shite are the worst the 2D era has to offer imo. Pretty much 90% of these will be either genuine shite or even worse, painfully average.

Sports games were good/great for the time but very few warrant revisiting these days.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Yeh that's what I was looking at @Aj
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    Moot_Geeza wrote:
    Urgh. It looks like a PS4 attending a fancy dress party as a Master System.

Post of the year. :)
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Daytona USA on PS3 is absolutely gorgeous. Took me over an hour to win the advanced race but was so satisfying. While being on a Sega arcade racing mood I also tried Manx TT on Saturn but that really needs the 3D controller that I've lost so many bids on eBay. Have to start trying again.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    yeah - Manx TT really needs the analogue stick. It's also one of the few driving games I prefer to play with 1st person view.
  • regmcfly
    Show networks
    Twitter
    regmcfly
    Xbox
    regmcfly
    PSN
    regmcfly
    Steam
    martinhollis
    Wii
    something

Send message
    Playing the X files game on PS1. Yesssshttt
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Going to prattle on about Asteroids again BUT NOT the arcade version. Owning it does make me far more judgemental of home versions though - which I played over the weekend after 9 months of arcade play.

The XBL versions are accurate due to the fact that they are emulated but they just lose too much - the recreation of the vector graphics are aenemic and the sounds are weedy. The modern makeover versions could be good but they overdid the explosion effects to the point where you can't see what's happening. Kind of a problem when surrounded by objects that can kill you.

The 2600 version is still OK - but the hardware restrictions have meant it has aged badly. It's still a nice game but wouldn't hold even my attention any more. There are some excellent modern homebrews such as Space Rocks that look spiffing though - must give them a try.

The Atari 7800 version is the best home version I've played. Doesn't try to recreate the sharp visuals so just uses raster graphics. It looks fine though. The screen res means there are still compromises but it plays very well. What is really missing is the need to lead shots from the arcade. The bullet speed is higher which reduces the level of skill required. But the screen feels smaller so you have less room to move around and the controls are very responsive so need a lot of skill to use. No gameplay options (a Deluxe mode would have been nice) though there are 4 difficulty levels and 2 player simultaneous modes (co-op and versus) as well as the trad alternate turns option. A splendid game - and it's built into the PAL console which is great. It appears to be speed adjusted for PAL too.

One downside is the 7800 is RF only so a CRT is really needed if you aren't going to emulate.

The other is the 7800 controller which cripples your hand - have heard the 2600 controller works with though so will try that.
  • So I got offered 40% off F-Zero X for the Wii U VC with some Gold coins from the My Nintendo rewards programme.

It's the 8th N64 game I've got on it, ended up selling my boxed PAL copies of the others and F-Zero X will soon be listed.

Man I love F-Zero X. I played it for a couple of hours last night and the muscle memory proper kicked in after about half hour. I know Nintendo keep saying they don't know what to do with F-Zero now, just remake this FFS. At the very least it will please fans of the series.

After playing F-Zero I ended up playing an hour of Super Mario 64, went from 54 Stars on my save to 63. Still a great game, although 3D cameras have improved over the last 20 years. It doesn't hinder it to much but it's definitely not as free as we're used to now.

On another note, N64 emulation on the Wii U is pretty bloody good. They look great (for what they are) going through HDMI, all at 60Hz too. Everything is nice and sharp compared to native HW via S-Video.

The custom button option also works well, for the games I have at least. The only one I could imagine being a bit off is OoT.

edit: Just done a little reading up on F-Zero X, it released on 06/11/1998. Not far off 20 years to the day that I was first addicted :-)
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    F-Zero X.  It's still in my top 10 ever of any game in any genre on any platform. Nothing gives me the thrill of the race more than that game. It got a great PAL port too - tiny borders and close to full speed. I have it and the JP version with the gorgeous packaging. There are a couple of subtle differences between it and PAL - think there are a couple of different track side billboards but that's it really. I got it for Wii VC and noticed some colour differences in one or two of the tunnels.

It's one of the few games that really benefits from the N64 rumble pack too - it is used to great effect and adds to the experience.

A remake that spruces up the graphics, has online inc. TT leaderboards, and keeps the 30 cars going in local MP is all that's needed.  Love the cheesy soundtrack.

It's a real pity that the VC version didn't add the expansion pack - a remake would address that too.
  • Completely agree davy
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • A lot of sense being talked here.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    All the F Zeros are top, but I'd probably put GX/AX at the top, with X a very close second. F Zero is like pizza, even when it's bad it's still pretty good.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Absolutely agree on X. It's some beefier graphics away from being basically perfect. An easy one to spruce up and re-release.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    There are lots of reason why I'm wrong but I still put X ahead of GX.

GX looks beautiful of course - I own the US version so I can play in 480p. Can't bring myself to sell my PAL version though. Content is to the rafters - but - it's just that bit too hard. It's brutality in the cups should be reserved for the higher levels such as master - but I struggled even to unlock the Diamond cup. Don't mind story mode being as tough as it is though.

The SNES original is still an enjoyable game. I've read that an attempt to create a followup on SNES with a 2 player mode ended up being Super Mario Kart.

Haven't played any of the handheld versions.
  • GX is too hard, impenetrably so which is a shame. I gave up quite early on in Captain Falcon's story mode! An easy mode would have been nice!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • I feel exactly the same, GX was just too hard. As someone who mastered X it didn't make sense to me that I couldn't even complete GX. I wanted to love it so much but like Wave Race Blue Storm, 1080 Avalanche and MK Double Dash it left me could after the absolute gems the N64 version were to me. Again, that sums up the GCN as a whole to me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • I also remember there being something off in GX with the way you attacked rival cars, it just wasn't the same as the N64 one.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • 4P races on X on my mates 14" crt telly. Grey, blue, yellow and green controllers. The days <3

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!