Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Disposable  battery one...however I only discovered it hadn't gone flat when I was done.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • More cost effective line scaler but no Scart input interesting that composite and s video included though. Cost about a third of OSSC
    http://www.retrotink.com
    Metal Jesus review:
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    More cost effective line scaler but no Scart input interesting that composite and s video included though. Cost about a third of OSSC http://www.retrotink.com Metal Jesus review:

Easy enough to pick up a 2 way s-video/SCART adaptor to use with that. I have one I got from Maplins. Wouldn't be optimal but s-video is pretty good.
  • Good thinking. Also it would be great for older composite only consoles like the modded Atari 2600, C64 etc
  • i got one of those gamecube HDMI adapters that comes in small box that looks like a gamecube. the picture quality is amazing.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Good thinking. Also it would be great for older composite only consoles like the modded Atari 2600, C64 etc

Yeah - I have a composite modded US 2600 but I only get a b&w image no matter what I connect it to. It could be something wrong with the console as the mod look clean enough. I got the console and the mod kit separate and got a local electronics shop to do it.

I have a PAL 2600 too - I have to make up my mind to either repaire the US one or get the PAL one modded. I got a US one to play 60Hz games but there are plenty of PAL60 ROMs now I can copy onto my Harmony cartridge. Have some thinking to do.

I also have a PAL 7800 that is RF only. There are mods for that too now though.

Don't have anything else apart from some dedicated pong consoles but I'd probably just get rid of those.
  • Wouldn't it be best to mod the 7800 and get rid of both 2600's?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Probably.

I like the look of the 2600 though.  The reason I got the US one was to amass a small CIB collection of my favourites running in NTSC but that notion has passed me now.

The US 2600 also has a broken diff switch - I've set it aside as a project for developing basic soldering skills.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    One year ago today, I received delivery of my Asteroids Dx cabinet from the US.

While I had a few months of stress getting a couple of tech issues sorted, I'm still glad I did it. Still playing. :)
  • Well worth taking the risk davy, I'm so pleased it worked out well!

New OSSC unit came back yesterday tested it out this morning and it works a treat, sound and all. Now it's time to start playing with the features a bit. Currently I can't get the scan lines looking great on 480 outputs on the Dreamcast or Original Xbox ( expecting the same from PS2 and Wii) they look too sparse although flipping them vertically seems to introduce more.

Found out my N64 won't work with OSSC as it isn't RGB, so I'll need to get it modded, something Id like to try myself but don't really have the guts to do!

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Not every N64 can be modded - early JP models can be but there may others.

I got mine from this guy:

http://www.keepitretro.co.uk/en-gb
  • Mine is definitely one that can be as I checked when I got it, I've just never got round to it. Cheers for the link davy I'll if they have an option for them do the horse work for you.
  • Are there any HDMI mods for N64s yet?
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    Mine is definitely one that can be as I checked when I got it, I've just never got round to it. Cheers for the link davy I'll if they have an option for them do the horse work for you.
    Not sure they offer a mod service - think they just sell them pre-modded but you can always ask. They have a facebook page and the respond to messages on that pretty quickly.
  • Are there any HDMI mods for N64s yet?

Yeah, been around for a few years now. UltraHDMI N64.

Mostly an idiot. Live: thedarthjim / Instagram: mrjalco / Twitter: @MrJalco
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Are there any HDMI mods for N64s yet?

Yes as far as I know.
  • Cheers both.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • played mario galaxy for the first time at the weekend. 

at 12 is it old enough to be considered retro yet?
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    My rule of thumb is two hardware generations, or long enough to make you feel old. So yes on both counts.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Wii was only last gen though.

But yeah I agree, 2 generations back is a decent rule. So PS2, Xbox and GCN are now retro by that logic.

No exact science though, its up to the individual I guess.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    I somehow interpreted "Galaxy" as "Sunshine". Derp.

But Nintendo and what console is what generation is interesting, because Wii is two consoles ago, but arguably only one generation.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • wait isn't the wii 2 gens ago? or is the wiiU not counted... 

also it doesn't seem that much more powerful than a cube to me :D

i've also been getting re-acquainted with double dash - is it me or is it better than mk wii and deluxe? proper power slides ftw.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A Wii was a GC with more RAM as far as I know. I suppose the processor had more heft - maybe the next version up from the GC Gecko? Don't know.

I love MK DD - it's still my favourite although the hardcore will disagree with me.  I haven't yet played Dx but the vehicle transformation idea does nothing for me - just as it didn't in the Sonic race games. I wasn't a fan of the bikes in MK Wii either. I'd rather it stayed as a kart game - the clue is in the name after all.
  • Gotta agree there, the Bikes ruined the Wii game.

7 and 8 are the best imo, followed by SNES, 64 and DS in no particular order, then there's a gap to Super Circuit, Wii and DD for me.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • don't think i played 7. what console was that on? i have 8 'deluxe', its like mk wii - the changes to the slide boosting take a lot of the fun out of the game for me. i guess its done to clamp down on 'snaking', but still. also being able to hold an item gave the game a tactical element i haven't seen in later games.

my list is double dash, mk ds, snes then the rest.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    My list is DD > SMK > MK64.

MK64 just doesn't do it for me despite some excellent tracks.

I have Super Circuit for GBA but haven't played a lot of it - I really should put that right.
  • MK8 and Super Circuit for me.  I've played a few others and owned Double Dash for a while, but none of them had me hooked.
  • Blue Swirl
    Show networks
    Facebook
    Fuck Mugtome
    Twitter
    BlueSwirl
    Xbox
    Blue5wirl
    PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii

Send message
    7 is on 3DS. Its borderline perfect.

I love them all, bar MK64, but that'd probably just me being a Snes version snob. In order of most played are 8, 7, Double Dash, DS, Advance.

I still get angry about Edge giving DD a 5/10. ;) I should probably buy Deluxe...
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Blue Swirl wrote:
    , Advance. I still get angry about Edge giving DD a 5/10. ;) I should probably buy Deluxe...

Quite. I was flabbergasted by the score. It even put me off buying it for a while. I still love it and my two daughters still play it.

Daughter 2 (19 yo) had her 21 yo boyfriend home last night and they were playing DD and Melee....(at least while I was looking).

Edge also gave GC Mario Tennis and Golf a drubbing. While they didn't add much to the N64 originals they benefited from the graphical sheen and they both provide polished and content packed entertainment. Rock solid.

I skipped Wii U - but I'd like a Switch - primarily for Mario Kart 8 Dx.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!