PSN
    BlueSwirl
    Steam
    BlueSwirl
    Wii
    3DS: 0602-6557-8477, Wii U: BlueSwirl

Send message
    davyK wrote:
    yikes.  Breaking 2mins was my best. Haven't played in ages. I got that using the Tatsunoko stick on Wii Tetris Party DX

If you check the leader boards in Puyo Puyo Tetris, I think the number one guy has a time of just under 30 seconds*. Which is insane. I've been trying for sub 80 seconds for a long time, and I did it out of the blue, I'd been getting 1'30 or higher for the entire night. Wondering if I should go for 70 seconds or just switch to something else. Maybe Tetris 99? I played my first few games in that tonight, my best placing was fourth.

I doff my hat to you for having the Tatsunoko stick, still my favourite fight mans. The only one I ever bought a stick for!

*Yes, he's Japanese.
    For those with an open mind, wonders always await! - Kilton (monster enthusiast)
  • Soooooooo I don't appear to be able to connect my gamecube to either of my tvs. The only gamecube cable I have is the analogue one that splits into audio L&R plus yellow video. Trouble is one TV of mine is hdmi only and the other has component but only the more complicated version. Oh and no scart either!

Any options here? First time getting it out in a long time and only just realised!
    I'm falling apart to songs about hips and hearts...
  • Don’t you need some ridonkulously expensive cable for a game cube now?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Left my CRT off to be mended with an old-school repair guy. He can't get the part it needs (an old type of transformer). However he has a more modern version of the Panasonic I have with a flatter tube for £45....
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • monkey wrote:
    Don’t you need some ridonkulously expensive cable for a game cube now?

This is my concern
  • Actually I’m thinking of the cable to get it to output in HDMI which is circa £100.

The white yellow and red output is called RCA. A bog standard RCA to hdmi adapter should be a fiver or so. Someone who’s done this with a GameCube should probably confirm though. I haven’t.
  • LivDiv wrote:
    I really like it btw. Fuck it, it's just a games console.

A DC is never just a games console.
  • MattyJ wrote:
    Soooooooo I don't appear to be able to connect my gamecube to either of my tvs. The only gamecube cable I have is the analogue one that splits into audio L&R plus yellow video. Trouble is one TV of mine is hdmi only and the other has component but only the more complicated version. Oh and no scart either! Any options here? First time getting it out in a long time and only just realised!

Composite is horrible quality.  I think I'd go Wii and Component connectors - unless you really want to use a GC.
  • Interesting dongles enabling gc hdmi output.

Steam: Ruffnekk
    Windows Live: mr of unlocking
    Fightcade2: mrofunlocking
  • I cant remember which one he recommends best but MetalJesus has some good reviews on GC HDMi.

I like MetalJesus, seems a straight up guy.
  • The Carby looks like the best and is the cheaper unit at £65 ish compared to the £120 for the EON. It also comes with a remote where as the EON doesn't.

https://gamesconnection.co.uk/products/carby-hdmi-adapter-for-gamecube

The cheapest option is that you get a RGB Scart to hdmi converter like this:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/LiNKFOR-Converter-Adapter-Supports-Headphone-Scart-hdmi/dp/B078JJMR5J/ref=asc_df_B078JJMR5J/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=309964054975&hvpos=1o16&hvnetw=g&hvrand=16416873568929168590&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=m&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046623&hvtargid=pla-592922927004&psc=1

I've got this one and it's pretty good for the price. Just note that if on the off chance you have an NTSC machine it can't output native RGB so the picture suffers.

Other option is that you buy a Wii and use its built in GC backwards compatibility.
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would one not be better off just getting on OSSC and using RGB SCART? At least you could use the OSSC with any other RGB SCART console.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Took my faithful old Panasonic CRT to recycling today :(

I've kept the remote - will see if I can flog it. Original remotes are required for accessing engineer modes etc.

So the repair guy sold me another Panasonic CRT. It isn't as big - 21" as opposed to the old 25" I had - but it's big enough. It's also the preferred 4:3 shape so there is no dead space when playing retro games. :)

It's always a punt with these things but so far so good. JP NTSC works fine - tried my JP-RGB SCART N64 and it works great - if anything the colours are more vibrant. The guy said the set was his and he hardly ever used it.

It was a bit noisy at first but I discovered that the contrast was set to maximum so turning that down resolved that. There's a bit more lost off the left side of the screen but it's minute - not really an issue. It's a more modern set - the front of the tube of really quite flat. There may be an engineer mode that will let me shift the image to the right a bit but to be honest I'm happy with it so far - there's no loss of HUD or status info off the left so it's fine really - and every console tends to have a different offset anyhow.

It's also got nice flat sides if I think about rotating it for TATE games.

Overall pretty happy but I'm now starting to seriously think about an OSSC. I could then perma-rotate this for TATE shmups.
  • OSSC definitely recommend for your setup davy but depends on Mattys setup if it's just for his GC then it's probably overkill for his needs.

• davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    OSSC definitely recommend for your setup davy but depends on Mattys setup if it's just for his GC then it's probably overkill for his needs.

Yup.
  • Aye would be just for GC occasional use. I'm not sure where my Wii is, forgot it's a straight up GC machine as well. Might dig that out as easier option
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Aye. Just get component cables for the Wii for the best picture though.
  • for some reason i've done testing on this subject, it seems to me GC games always look better on cube, even if the wii has component cable.

I got one of those EON HDMI adapters a while back for around £90, cube games looks amazing. combine it with one of those boot discs and you can force it into proper widescreen mode. i believe it's a pure digital signal, as opposed to the wii, with which the picture is converted to digital if you use a HDMI adapter.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    I have read on various forums that the GCs video output is superior to the Wii so you aren't alone in believing that. It may depend on the game too. My daughters still play MKDD on the Wii with component and it looks splendid to me. But most other GC games are played on the actual GC.

The GC component output is also considered superior to the Wii's but I haven't had the opportunity to try given the cables are so pricey and PAL games had 480p support removed for some insane reason.
  • yeah cube games look pretty good to me on wii as well, theres just that clean vivid crispness via the HDMI that the wii doesn't give. Using a wii HDMI adapter makes it look even worse IMO.

tbh i bought it more for HDMI convenience rather than any upgrade to my picture quality but now i've seen it i can't go back :)
  • I also find it quite inconvenient booting up the Wii and having to use a remote to select the GC mode to play. First World problem I know but it would be nice if it auto booted.
  • letterbomb yo.

or whatever it's called, can fine tune the wii in that regard.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Eric wrote:
    I also find it quite inconvenient booting up the Wii and having to use a remote to select the GC mode to play. First World problem I know but it would be nice if it auto booted.

And then you have to reboot to get out of GC mode - using the button on the console.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Holy shit.

I sold a copy of Rat Attack for N64 to someone here several years ago for 8 or 9 quid.

It's going for £300 now.

Holy shit.
  • Wow! Random how some prices just creep.

Ok who was it davy? Reg?
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Think so.

Lucky bast.

It's not that much of a surprise really. N64 prices, especially PAL CIB, have been rocketing.  Rat Attack is a pretty humdrum game. It must have had a limited run.

The £300 price is for an immaculate copy - mine was pretty much too apart from some very minor price sticker damage - which would drop the value at such a pricing level. Still - quite a price rise.

Even if I hadn't sold it then it would have been scooped up in my clearout lot to chilloutgames a few years ago. Better a badger benefits. Heh.

There's a Tarzan game that's supposed to be worth even more. Sheesh.
  • n64 batteries must be coming of age right about now. Had to replace all my snes ones a bout 2-3 years ago.
  • Really? My NES ones are still fine let alone my SNES ones.
    オレノナハ エラー ダ
  • well you've been lucky lol. those batteries are supposed to last 10 years!
  • most snes games have gone by now. Mario Kart snes times disappearing are the bane of speedrunners lives.
    He could've just said they came from another planet but seems keen to convince people with his bullshit pseudoscience that he knows stuff. I wouldn't trust him with my lunch. - SG

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!