Retro Gaming
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Would like to have seen the Italian designer's take on the Dreamcast that Akawa had on the wall.

I hadn't realised he stumped up just shy of $700m to keep Sega going a few months before he died.
    Holding the wrong end of the stick since 2009.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    A couple of the buttons on my Asteroids Deluxe are getting a bit sticky - there's a tendency for them to stick down a tiny bit - makes for a less responsive button.

Thinking it was a bit of dirt or similar I took the buttons out - easy to do and it's all by hand - but it looks like the springs in the buttons are knackered - there's hardly any resistance left in them. It looks like TNT have put new buttons on the control panel but have used legacy springs. They try to keep as much original stuff as possible.

I've stretched them a bit to make them resist more so the button springs up again quicker but it still isn't great. Any arcade heads know if the springs are available separately? I've googled around and can only find replacement buttons which I'm not keen to do because there's a good chance I'll pick the wrong size or something. They are the old leaf switch style and are cheap to buy but I'd just rather get the springs. They are conical shaped - I could just get some out of a hardware shop but I'd rather get the right shaped ones.
  • Anyone going to this event next sunday in london? I have to go to a baby birthday party so I cant but hopefully I can make 3rd November date.

https://www.londongamingmarket.com/

LONDON'S ONLY RETRO GAMES FAIR
    The London Gaming Market is THE place to buy retro video-games, board games and merchandise all in one place and is the ONLY event of its kind held in the heart of London. The market will be held every 4 months at the Royal National Hotel in Russell Square London. The next London Gaming Market takes place on Sunday 21 July 2019 with a final 2019 date on 3 November. Entry for adults is just £2 on the door from 12PM or if you want to beat the crowds why not take advantage of 11AM early entry for £5?
  • That's a good read cheers Nick. Think I went early 2000's and it was still a sight to behold. I was terrified of heights ( still am) so that massive escalator that led to SEGA WORLD was a massive challenge to me and is still only the thing I really remember!
    Live, PSN & WiiU: Yippeekiyey
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Was there once only. It had a pile of games but I could tell that it had passed its prime. It was a bit tired and some areas were closed off.

Was still enjoyable but in its pomp it must have been quite something.
  • Was in there quite a bit at one point, mostly in its pomp but also once or twice when it was on the way out and more areas were cordoned off.
  • I used to pop in there quite often, I remember just being a teenager and feeling overwhelmed with how much there was to see.
    Then there wasn’t. Then it closed.

I’m sad
    Not everything is The Best or Shit. Theres many levels between that, lets just enjoy stuff.
  • My main memory of the place was watching Japanese kids play DDR etc. Just mind-blowing levels of skill. Like watching freestyle hip hop dancers but they were also hitting every beat.

I think by that point the place was already in decline.
  • Last time I was there I did a ride-the-mechanical-bull challenge in a dilapidated downstairs bit, which I was ungracefully owning btw, then one of the horns snapped off and sent me flying.  The guy running it didn't even attempt to conceal how pissed off he was.  Probably his last rodeo.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Found these links in a Sega Saturn forum I frequent.

• I went there with a mate from school shortly after SFIII released, so I'd have been about 14. Was reading games mags all the way there looking at screens of new arcades, couldn't wait to see SFIII. 'appy days.
  • Went a few more times when I moved to London back in '05 but it was well past it's peak then I'd say.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Guy from work back from Japan today - picked this up for me. :)

vAJUODg.jpg

one for the shmups thread then.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Guy rips Sonic 1 asunder...

• EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    The MegaSD is getting an SVP FPGA core that will enable support for the Mega Drive version of Virtua Racer.
    "ERE's like Mr. Muscle, he loves the things he hates"
  • I’m probably miles behind the curve here, but I’ve seen these things popping up in my Amazon recommendations lately. USB drives full of ROMs that work natively on the Playstation Classic.

https://www.truebluemini.com

Interesting, if they work that simply.
  • Neat, but the fact that something like this doesn't exist for a Saturn Mini is killing me.
  • Not sure where to put this but it's a nicely written article that crystallises my thoughts and experience of gaming in my youf.

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-08-03-my-lost-childhood-with-daley-thompson
  • Yeah, that’s really nice. Thanks for sharing Eric.

• This was great, an interesting look at the FDS system and many of the weird and wonderful games that came out on it. I like how the BIOS theme tune for the FDS was used for the Gamecube system menu, but 2000x slower.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    Analogue have trademarked Analogue Pocket and Analogue 8.
  • EvilRedEye
    Show networks
    Twitter
    adrianongaming
    Xbox
    EvilRedEye8
    PSN
    EvilRedEye8
    Steam
    EvilRedEye8

Send message
    My MegaSD has arrived! Just need to wait for the big ol' CD games to download now. I've had a go on Sonic CD - works well. There a firmware update out soon that adds support for the Mega Drive version of Virtua Racer.
  • Been playing through Doom again via chocolate Doom, first time playing it in 20yrs I reckon. Found the main 3 episodes fine but fuck me, Thy Flesh Consumed is a bastard. I can't imagine trying to clear these opening levels without a FAQ.

Anyway, I'd probably put Doom Guy as the joint most iconic VG chat alongside Mario. Thoughts?
  • This is on Ultra Violence ofc.

I mean, it's impossible to get 100% on some of these levels without sparking in-fighting.
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    Love a bit of classic Doom.  keyboard controls and no pissing about looking up and down. :)
  • Nice article on Powerstone in The Guardians culture section today with insights from the producer and designer.

Keith Stuart is on fire at the moment. Just needs to do one on Eternal Champions then his work is done.

https://www.theguardian.com/games/2019/aug/14/power-stone-sega-dreamcast-fortnite-overwatch
  • davyK wrote:
    Love a bit of classic Doom.  keyboard controls and no pissing about looking up and down. :)

I started trying to play on KB only as per the mid 90s but just can't do it anymore, am using KB+mouse (no looking up / down tho).
  • davyK
    Show networks
    Xbox
    davyK13
    Steam
    dbkelly

Send message
    nick_md wrote:
    davyK wrote:
    I started trying to play on KB only as per the mid 90s but just can't do it anymore, am using KB+mouse (no looking up / down tho).

I never played much FPS games after Doom 2. Played a bit of Quake(2?) on the office LAN but even then I stuck to keyboard and got my arse whipped as a result.

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!